Author Topic: How to get Subtitle text to show over a fade-in  (Read 2131 times)

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
How to get Subtitle text to show over a fade-in
How can I get subtitle text to show over a fade-in from black? I want the text to show over the black screen, then have the text fade, then have the fade-in occur.

Is this even possible?

Offline Axem

Re: How to get Subtitle text to show over a fade-in
You'll want to set the 'draw after shading' argument to true. It's the very last optional argument on the sexp, so you'll need to add everything before it as well. :)

Offline HLD_Prophecy

You'll want to set the 'draw after shading' argument to true. It's the very last optional argument on the sexp, so you'll need to add everything before it as well. :)

I found the argument! The problem now is that I have to specify a font. FRED proffers three fonts, but when I pick any one of them, it clears my subtitle text from the field and replaces it with <Invalid>. My text is "Warp Now." Before this, it displayed just fine. Is the period making the trouble?

(Also, I know this is old news on a few different levels, but - thanks for Vassago's Dirge. It's totally awesome.) :D

Offline Axem

That sounds like a rather odd thing... Can you replace the <Invalid> with your original text? Sounds like there might be a bug or some unexpected behavior with that...

(Also, thank you for playing and enjoying it :))

Offline HLD_Prophecy

That sounds like a rather odd thing... Can you replace the <Invalid> with your original text? Sounds like there might be a bug or some unexpected behavior with that...

(Also, thank you for playing and enjoying it :))

I did try replacing <Invalid>... the mission runs fine (I'm using the debug build of course) but no text shows up. Am I being forced to choose a font? What exactly are the three available fonts?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
IIRC the three default fonts are different sizes of Bank Gothic. They're the three retail fonts.

You can add more fonts, in the latest nightlies you should be able to add any TTF font to FSO.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline HLD_Prophecy

I dunno why, but I'm not having the problem anymore. Thanks guys.

But now I have these RGB variables, and I'm not sure how to set them to display white. I tried 0, 0, 0, and that makes black. Tried 225, 225, 225, and that makes black too! (I think). My draw-after-shading doesn't make a difference because I can't see black on black anyway. :P

Offline HLD_Prophecy

I dunno why, but I'm not having the problem anymore. Thanks guys.

But now I have these RGB variables, and I'm not sure how to set them to display white. I tried 0, 0, 0, and that makes black. Tried 225, 225, 225, and that makes black too! (I think). My draw-after-shading doesn't make a difference because I can't see black on black anyway. :P

Wait, nvm, I edited the RGB variables on the wrong subtitle text. I have two subtitle text events in the same mission, and I keep mixing them up. 225, 225, 225 is white. Thanks a ton, it all works now!

Offline Axem

Glad to hear you've worked it out! :)

(Actually its 255 255 255, but 225 is pretty close anyway)