Author Topic: How to change ship names in the targeting window?  (Read 1725 times)

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
How to change ship names in the targeting window?
Hey all!

So, without giving spoilers, there's a mission in Vassago's Dirge where

[Highlight to read spoilers, how do I do a proper spoiler thingy again?] the ship names (the ship's proper name and class name) that show up in the targeting window are radically edited. Let him who reads understand.

I dunno if anyone besides Axem can help me with this, but I'd really like to know how to do this for my own campaign. Please help?

Offline Thisisaverylongusername

• This is fine.
Re: How to change ship names in the targeting window?
Well, there is the SEXP ship-change-alt-name that will change the alt name text (which replaces the class name), but I don't know how to change the ship name on the fly.
If the opposite of pro is con, then is the opposite of progress Congress?

Offline Axem

Yeah, you can edit the class name easily (as Mr. Long Name indicated), but actually changing the ship's name is not possible in FRED. I think there is a script that sort of allows you to do that, but all it does it remove the old ship and makes a new one copying all attributes. Which mission/part in Vassago are you talking about? (Btw you can use [ spoiler][/ spoiler] tags for spoilers (without that space))

Offline HLD_Prophecy

Yeah, you can edit the class name easily (as Mr. Long Name indicated), but actually changing the ship's name is not possible in FRED. I think there is a script that sort of allows you to do that, but all it does it remove the old ship and makes a new one copying all attributes. Which mission/part in Vassago are you talking about? (Btw you can use [ spoiler][/ spoiler] tags for spoilers (without that space))

Thanks for the tip!

Spoiler:
I'm talking about that one mission where you play as a Shivan. It's like a dream, I think? Intermezzo?

Wait, will filling in the "alt name" field in the Ship Edit window replace the ship class name? And what does the "callsign" field do?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Wait, will filling in the "alt name" field in the Ship Edit window replace the ship class name?
Yes.

And what does the "callsign" field do?
Gets appended to the end of the ship name in parentheses (e.g. "Alpha 2 (Bulldog)"). It also replaces the ship's name in the message log.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline HLD_Prophecy

Wait, will filling in the "alt name" field in the Ship Edit window replace the ship class name?
Yes.

And what does the "callsign" field do?
Gets appended to the end of the ship name in parentheses (e.g. "Alpha 2 (Bulldog)"). It also replaces the ship's name in the message log.

Sorry for the late reply - thanks a bunch, both of you. :) My campaign is rolling along nicely! Over-optimistically I'd put a release time at around Christmas.