Author Topic: iff_defs.tbl and a very special combat scenario  (Read 151 times)

Offline 0rph3u5

• Stop calling me 'intelligent', I am clearly not
    • Steam
    • Twitter
iff_defs.tbl and a very special combat scenario
HLP, I've come to bargain.

I have a certain mission scenario which requires me to introduce new IFFs via iff_defs.tbl. While the introduction per se is not strictly ciritical to make the mission work - I could just use the standard IFFs along with the change-iff-colour, protect-ship/beam-protect-ship/turret-protect-ship etc etc to make an inferior version work - it is very improtant that it is just so for narrative reasons. The inferior version would also have way more sources for possible bugs than I like (coming from me that means something).

One big problem is that I currently have no device capable of running FS_Open (I can make FRED work but that's about it), so I cannot do my usual thing and just trial and error mercilessly until the engine gives me what I want (even if how I did it is technically using a bug).

The particulars of the scenario are as follows:

The mission requires several non-friendly and non-hostile transports to interact with a friendly ship of significant displacement which is not able to defend itself. The player is tasked with defending said ships alongside another non-friendly/non-hostile cruiser to defend both from attacking hostiles.

There are added story points to this I will not go into at this point but they make it neccessary for the both transports and cruiser to have different attitudes towards the use of their turrets and not be folded into the "friendly" IFF.

The new IFFs are defined in an IFF_defs.tbl as follows (except for the names, those are much more handy in actual .tbl):
Code: [Select]
$IFF Name: IFF_1
$Color: ( 255, 0, 255 )
$Attacks: ( "Hostile" "Neutral" "Traitor" )
+Sees Friendly As: ( 0, 0, 255 )
+Sees Hostile As: ( 255, 0, 0 )
+Sees Neutral As: ( 255, 0, 0 )
+Sees Traitor As: ( 255, 0, 0 )
$Flags: ( "exempt from all teams at war" "orders hidden" )

$IFF Name: IFF 2
$Color: ( 255, 255, 255 )
$Attacks: ( )
+Sees Friendly As: ( 0, 0, 255 )
+Sees Hostile As: ( 0, 0, 255 )
+Sees Neutral As: ( 0, 0, 255 )
+Sees Traitor As: ( 255, 0, 0 )
$Flags: ( "exempt from all teams at war" "orders shown" )
(there is also a new "True Neutral"-IFF in the .tbl, which is blue to everyone and attacks only the "Traitor"-IFF. It only exists to reduce the use of the "Unknown" IFF in the campaign.)

Two questions remain at his point:

1. Does an ship with IFF_2, that doesn't attack aynthing by default, still defend against bombs fired by ships?

2. Does a ship with either IFF_1 or IFF_2 contribute to defense of a IFF "Friendly" (or IFF_2) ship against the bombs?

If no to either of those what do I need to add to do so? (I already looked as ai.tbl and ai_profiles.tbl but came up short of an answer)

ps. I am also out of contact for the next weeks...
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 02:15:44 pm by 0rph3u5 »
"As a rebellion fails, a search begins."

Do you have questions about the upcoming The Lost Generation - Ashcroft? - Ask away here

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
  • Administrator
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: iff_defs.tbl and a very special combat scenario
As best I can determine...

1) No, it does not.  It looks like bombs have to be on a team that the ship attacks (as defined by iff_defs) for the ship to shoot down that bomb.

2) For ship A to defend ship B against ship C's bombs, a) C has to be on a team that A attacks, and b) C and A cannot be the same team.

3) If you're out of contact, it will be difficult to help you solve the problem.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Stop calling me 'intelligent', I am clearly not
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: iff_defs.tbl and a very special combat scenario
If you're out of contact, it will be difficult to help you solve the problem.

I am back ... Sometimes you just got to go to that special mental space to be creative consistently and sometimes silence is a way to go there.

In the meantime I looked over weapons.tbl for a subsitute but to no result...

Would there be a "minimally invasive" way for feature request here?
"As a rebellion fails, a search begins."

Do you have questions about the upcoming The Lost Generation - Ashcroft? - Ask away here

"...because they are not Dragons."