Author Topic: [WIP] Children of Rosenthal  (Read 9399 times)

Offline dukka

• literally terrible
    • Steam
[WIP] Children of Rosenthal

TAGS: alternate universe, conversion, pseudo science, procrastination, FRED limbo, the twenty circles of digital purgatory

About

A complete departure from the Freespace universe, Children of Rosenthal seeks to tell the story of an expansive stellar empire fracturing under the weight of coup d'etat brought about by a cadre of military and political elite. All is not as straight forward as expected however, as the sheer size of the holdings of the Rosenthal Imperium leads to more than just a split among the loyalist and separatists, but several independent factions as well (some of which seek intentions far more vile than even the separatists). Played from the point of view of Second Lieutenant Marcus "Palisade" Narmak, a recent entrant to the Royal Guards, the campagin begins at the ignition point of the coup and follows the young flight officer's struggle to preserve his oath to protect the nation that bares him life and prosperity. Occasional deviations from this main character are also planned for short mini acts that focus on other characters that will be previously established, such as Palisade's former wing CO and a newly met contemporary in the remnants of the Royal Guard.

Structure

I am looking for the campaign (or maybe I should just say total conversion instead already) to be structured and released in short arcs of anywhere from 5 to 8 missions (obviously allowing for more or less when needed), along with a 3 mission prologue with the release of the first arc. Part of the reason for this is I wish to iterate on releases, allowing for mistakes to be far less costly should any particular arc be 'bad' (mission design, overall plot, storytelling, actual legit bugs) and also chances to be taken as I learn more and more about FRED and what I feel comfortable attempting to do.

I understand the ambitious nature of a no-name going headlong into this whole thing and while there is a lot of I can use from past development with other games at least at a planning and logical level, I still want to take on the project with a certain amount of care. I may be crafting my own universe, but I first and foremost want to it be as enjoyable to experience as it is to create.

Fluff

Gallery

Of course, I didn't spend the last five months doing off and on prep work for nothing, have some pictures!

5th Assault Picket, Group B - Silence | 3rd Emergency Task Group - Fend
3rd Emergency Task Group - Standoff | Alpha Wing - Pursuit

Credits

Once I hit the first release, I will check my credits.txt to make sure I don't miss a single pixel. In fact, I will check it so many times that my eyes bleeding will be the 'looks good!' sign.

Closing

Speak your mind! Words of encouragement, harsh criticism about what dodo head I am, links to excellent references/design philosophy, or anything else you may want to spill out onto the page thanks to your keyboard!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 06:40:54 pm by dukka »

Offline Axem

Re: [WIP] Children of Rosenthal
Sounds very cool!

Everyone's a no-name at some point, and its good to see you have some well thought out ambition. (As opposed to "im gonna make a campain guyz, its gonna have stuff and be 100 missions long", but really, who hasn't said that?)

The best thing you probably need to find is a partner who would be a good sounding board, so they can tell you when your ideas rock and when they stink.

I hope to see cool stuff come from you, sir!

Offline Lorric

I wish you luck.

Offline NeonShivan

• Previously known as BTA
  • By the Omnisiah's grace.
We need a certain welcome to HLP pic no?
In German even the most beautiful love letter sounds like an execution order -Mito

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \ All the Single Ladies

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Author of Dusk Wars - A modification for Freespace 2.

Offline Arpit

Good Luck, dukka.  :yes:

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
* Droid803 approves of the ship choices
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Sounds a really interesting idea, some people made their own universes, and damn they are awesome campaigns. I would like to participate in a project, i am a bit noob to intermediate fredder. Know the basic stuff, if you form a team, just pm me. Also, good luck

Offline dukka

• literally terrible
    • Steam
The best thing you probably need to find is a partner who would be a good sounding board, so they can tell you when your ideas rock and when they stink.
Finding a way to summon xX_LORD_ULTRA_DEATH_Xx  might delay the project forever.

* Droid803 approves of the ship choices
I HAVE NO IDEA WHY.

Sounds a really interesting idea, some people made their own universes, and damn they are awesome campaigns. I would like to participate in a project, i am a bit noob to intermediate fredder. Know the basic stuff, if you form a team, just pm me. Also, good luck
Once I iron out some of my personal notes a bit more so they are easy to digest (as compared to how they currently are, ie:    > FINISH OBJECTIVES YOU NERD (7/2/13 - added) ) I will most likely start giving considerable thought to involving people who are interested.

Offline NeonShivan

• Previously known as BTA
  • By the Omnisiah's grace.
Completely unique universe √
Droid803 approving the ship choices √
Kicking creativity into maximum overdrive √

I approve of your campaign, if it is as well as I believe it'll be, it might as well be turned into a game.
In German even the most beautiful love letter sounds like an execution order -Mito

(•_•)
 <)  )/

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Author of Dusk Wars - A modification for Freespace 2.

Nice then. Good luck Again.

P.D: Good lucking pics.  ;)

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
Very nice! I must say, I'm pleased with the recent trend of original universes - they open up a lot of options that wouldn't be possible within a FS story. I'm looking forward to this.

Your pics look very good, but just a small heads up: you probably want to use a starfield skybox instead of the hardcoded FS stars. In the background editor, put "starfield.pof" in the "Skybox:" field and it'll use the one from the MediaVPs. (If you don't want to rely on the MediaVPs, you could include starfield.pof in your mod - I doubt the MVP guys would mind).

Of course, if you like the look of the hardcoded stars, that's fine! It took me a while to get used to skyboxes since I liked the streaks the old stars made when I looked around.

Offline dukka

• literally terrible
    • Steam
Yep, definitely looks better full of stars, thanks for the heads up!

Offline AndrewofDoom

• In A.D. 2366 war was beginning
  • Permanent yuri goggles.
    • Twitter
* AndrewofDoom approves of the ship choices.

I wonder why.
My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.
20:10:01   Spoon: I find it mildly arrousing
20:10:07   AndrewofDoom: Woah
20:10:15   Spoon: sound like my kind of loli
20:10:21   Spoon: and im not even a lolicon

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Yeah, I was very curious when someone pick up and use the Tethis pack. Can't wait to see more updates :)
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Luis Dias

Lots of luck! I like your approach of trying to produce 5-8 missions each time and I like your explanations why this is so.

So while I know so little about what you are gonna do, it seems it's being developed intelligently.

I also find the thematic possibilities here have potential.

:yes:

Offline dukka

• literally terrible
    • Steam
Thanks for the all kind words and whatnot so far guys. Here is a small blurb of just a few of the topics I have some pre-assembled and await periodic posting.

Supplement 001
Why We Don't Design Spacecraft For NASA

Preface

Hey everyone! Welcome to the first of a long series of posts in which I will detail all sorts of things in relation to this project. For this test run, I am going to go over three of the ships (two of which are player ships) that will be quite prominent in the first arc. As with all things still in development, all of this is prone to change should I smash my head when I majestically fall out of my bed at a nondescript point in the future.

Oh, or if need arises due to some kind of shift in design apporach.

Content

Shimada Heavy Industries Model 778 'Flint' - Revision A
Space Superiority Fighter

A lightweight superiority fighter, the Flint is easily the most numerous model of strikecraft in service to what was formerly the Imperial Navy.

• Known Operators CI+16: Rosenthal Imperium, Itlan Junta, Iszenbeck Autonomous Zone
  • Primary Weapon Banks: 6 (2,4)
  • Compatible Primary Weapon Systems: VWA Type 72 Light Railgun Repeater, VWA Type 74 Heavy Railgun Repeater, VWA Type 48 Light Coilgun
  • Secondary Weapon Banks: 1 (80)
  • Compatible Secondary Weapon Systems: Aspect, Heat, Dumbfire, Swarm (secondaries are still pending THE LORE PASS)

Minga Branch Type 440 'Tetunic' - Revision R
Prototype Heavy Assault Fighter

A craft exculsive to the Royal Guard, the Tetunic has suddenly (though understandably) seen a drastic decrease of serviceable examples. Most survivng strikecraft of this type are either in the hands of the Royal Guard remnants centered around their stronghold in the Northern Fringe or insurgent groups still operating in Junta occupied space.

• Known Operators CI+16: Rosenthal Imperium
  • Primary Weapon Banks: 8 (4,4)
  • Compatible Primary Weapon Systems: VWA Type 72 Light Railgun Repeater, VWA Type 74 Heavy Railgun Repeater, VWA Type 48 Light Coilgun
  • Secondary Weapon Banks: 2 (70, 70)
  • Compatible Secondary Weapon Systems: Aspect, Heat, Dumbfire, Swarm

Fenfir Aerospace Frames Serial 32 'Ragath' - Block 5
Breakthrough Frigate

When you think fleet in the CoR-verse (working title, zero trademarks pending), think Ragath. The simplest expression of a warship, it is a completely fair assetment to see the Ragath as nothing more than a carriage for its axial railgun, granted the gun is far bigger than a VW Beetle. While quite bare if left alone against a group of strikecraft, the Ragath is more than capable of bringing the pain to other frigates and capital craft.

• Known Operators CI+16: Rosenthal Imperium, Itlan Junta, Iszenbeck Autonomous Zone
  • Weapon Hardpoints: 5
  • Weapon Loadout: MT-A Model 12 Rail-Accelrated Flak (x4), VWA Type 32 Axial Railgun (x1)
Closing

Well, short as this was, this is about all I really feel should be said about the topic presented this time. As said, there is just too much that could change at any point down the line. It would just be egg on my face to type out some for-sale on Amazon novella about this three ships only to decided the week after that "nope, that was dumb".

As for those notes of the Itlan Junta and Iszenbeck Autonomous Zone... well, one is obviously the jerks in charge of the coup. The other? Well, maybe later.

Offline Luis Dias

That's nice. Just one litttttttle detail, perhaps it would be really easy to do: I see you got three ships there, two blue one red. Change the latter to blue or the formers to red. Consistency, and so on... (and why are they blue or red in the fist place?)

Offline dukka

• literally terrible
    • Steam
That's nice. Just one litttttttle detail, perhaps it would be really easy to do: I see you got three ships there, two blue one red. Change the latter to blue or the formers to red. Consistency, and so on... (and why are they blue or red in the fist place?)
Personal speculation is that AndredofDoom/Droid and Esarai had some kind of large scale power struggle, the end result of which was them choosing to use red and blue respectively as major color elements on their textures.

Offline Luis Dias

makes sense. although I was asking for your in-world explanation. (not expecting an answer, but just provoking you to think on those things too)

Offline dukka

• literally terrible
    • Steam
makes sense. although I was asking for your in-world explanation. (not expecting an answer, but just provoking you to think on those things too)
Heh. Haven't gotten around, nor have I decided if, I am going to do texture modifications for the sake of fleet/faction schemes yet.