Author Topic: [WIP] Children of Rosenthal  (Read 9396 times)

Offline AndrewofDoom

• In A.D. 2366 war was beginning
  • Permanent yuri goggles.
    • Twitter
Re: [WIP] Children of Rosenthal
While I was texturing it, I chose red for the Impervious because it's a...red shirt. Why not send the point home by painting it red too?
My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.
20:10:01   Spoon: I find it mildly arrousing
20:10:07   AndrewofDoom: Woah
20:10:15   Spoon: sound like my kind of loli
20:10:21   Spoon: and im not even a lolicon

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
It should be "easy enough" to change the color striping (or make it team-colored even).
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
i wish you the best of luck with this project
utilising freely available assets and freding short campaigns sounds like a good idea to me
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Offline dukka

• literally terrible
    • Steam
I have a handful of things to muse about and posts to quote so as to leave self-proclaimed witty comments to, but first thing first.

Supplement 002
The Sunday After (The First Post)

Preface

Four. Four what? Well four factions of course. That is right, the first branch of this venture into the CoR-verse (maybe if I keep using this term enough it will be considered 'good enough') tells of the interactions between four different bodies of power. Three of them have already been revealed due to the first Supplement. The fourth though was skipped due to its position and power, something that is about to change (at least the part about it not yet being revealed).

Content

Rosenthal Imperium - Royal Guard
Loyalist Centerpiece

Thrown into disarray as the Itlan coup struck fast and hard against any opposition, the Royal Guard is nothing short of mess. Reduced to only a handful fo insurgent groups in the Core Systems and Borderworlds, the Guard is lucky for its bastion of hope: the Paradon System and the fortress they forged in the Northern Fringe. Turning the limited number of intersystem connections to their territory to their advantage, the Royal Guard has been able to hold the Junta's forces at bay, the latter being unwilling to show any strong commitment as long as problems remain elsewhere.

It is from here, in this sanctuary formed by a stroke of luck in an otherwise disastrous situation, that the Crown Prince rules what is left of his family's shattered realm.

Itlan Junta - The Reforged Imperial Navy
Separatists Centerpiece

The self-proclaimed interim government established by the men behind the coup that shattered the Imperium, the Itlan Junta heeds its name from its most important conspirator: Charles Gish Itla. The former high minister of the interior was the binding force that brought together the private elite and military dissidents. Every man or woman added meant an untold number of assets fell into the warchest of the Junta. The end result of Itla's scheming was the near destruction of the Royal Guard and imprisonment of the emperor, Douglas Milling IV.

Iszenbeck Autonomous Zone - Industrial Vanguard
Loyalist Aligned

Created by an imperial decree centuries ago, the Iszenbeck Autonomous Zone represents a strong coalition of industrial powerhouses. Operating under its own set of laws, Iszenbeck seeks to create the place for businesses (especially those on the industrial side of things) to set up shop. There is a catch however: not only is the Director of the Autonomous Zone selected by the Emperor, but the administration is also contractually bound to stay by the Imperium's side no matter what. Thus in the raw production possibility of the Iszenbeck Autonomous Zone exists a glimmer of hope for what remains of the Imperium.

Mascarenas Fleet - The Seamus Garrison
Independent

As the confusion caused by the coup d'etat spread like a plague across Imperial space, one man of power decided to stand against the change. Admiral Adrian Mascarenas of the 9th Fringe Fleet publicly expressed, at least to those that could hear it, that he would stand against the change in guard. With his fleet 'trusting in his sound judgement', as the man himself claimed, Mascarenas was poised to keep the Seamus system (and more importantly the Fairlight Corridor) open for the Royal Guard and Iszenbeck.

In a strange turn of events, perhaps after the defection of parts of the Junta's Fifth Assault Picket and the liberation of the civil defense arsenal in four systems, Mascarenas also declared his opposition to what remained of the Imperium. "Those that can not defend even themselves do not deserve to be" is the quote often cited by the Imperial intelligence group, Interior.

Closing

Good news: the actual intel entries for all of these are far better written.

Bad news: they are still written by me.

i wish you the best of luck with this project
utilising freely available assets and freding short campaigns sounds like a good idea to me
Yea, it is such a great idea and I am glad he thoug- wait a minute.

(thanks :))

While I was texturing it, I chose red for the Impervious because it's a...red shirt. Why not send the point home by painting it red too?
Something something all digital life is made equal, you're a monster, something else.

It should be "easy enough" to change the color striping (or make it team-colored even).
I am hella spooked by those air quotes. Something tells me I'll mess up hard in the most unintentional way.

Also, while working with Black Wolf's Constellation, used in my case as Axis-class Installation, I think I had texture deja-vu.

Offline dukka

• literally terrible
    • Steam
Well after playing computer janitor for a few days, it was nice to spend time on something a bit more enjoyable. I have decided to go against my former decision that "oh color schemes would be to much work a bloo bloo bloo" and started on some minimal edits.

Rosenthal Vaguely Blue | Mascarenas Dollar Store Purple

While I have a feeling I should instead go right into the normals and take advantage of the team coloring technique introduced last year, I have decided to just keep on doing this. Granted I am sure that once I get through every last texture it will finally dawn on me that I have opted for the stupid route.

Offline dukka

• literally terrible
    • Steam
Time for something that vaguely comes across as an update!

The Missions

When it comes to FRED, everything is looking pretty damn good. Thus far six of the eleven missions (three for the prologue, eight for chapter one) are in a near complete state, only needing timing and writing passes from myself before they are ready to go on the shelf and await more diverse testing at some point in the next two to three weeks. As for the other five, while not much exists that can be played, they have all had their major elements laid out in writing.

The Machines

Ships and weapons I have learned, are a whole different monster. Even the slightest alteration can lead to a huge difference in the smallest engagement in a mission. While everything I expect to include in the first release is rigged up (minus actually giving my own little charm to the secondaries), I am holding off on any fine tuning until I start devoting my time to intensive balance passes.

The Maps

Actual maps, not textures you weird 2D wizards.

Here is a chunk of the system reference chart relevant to the prologue.

The Media

Two shots with the HUD, and two without. Why the mixture? Dunno.

click for big

Offline NeonShivan

• Previously known as BTA
  • By the Omnisiah's grace.
Very nice work, I must say I am looking forward to a release.
In German even the most beautiful love letter sounds like an execution order -Mito

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \ All the Single Ladies

( •_•)
\(  (>
  /  \ All the Single Ladies

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Author of Dusk Wars - A modification for Freespace 2.

Offline dukka

• literally terrible
    • Steam
Well, after two weeks of a really awkward work schedule, time to get back to work on this!

As for progress, everything is feeling pretty good. Aside from what I mentioned in my last post, the remaining missions now all have their basic framework (capital vessels, major stage transitions, etc) laid out, leaving just their fluff passes and eventual fine tuning.

man, how's going with this mod? your screenshots make me eager to play it! ;)

Offline dukka

• literally terrible
    • Steam
Once upon a time more important commitments kept piling up, some motivation dried up, and uhhhhh a harddrive sort of disappeared.

Then three years later none of that mattered. I found the harddrive in an embarrassingly obvious place, free time is aplenty again, and just lurking around this place for a bit has lit the fire under my ass. Freespace is goddamn great and I want this thing to be so too. So have some real rough cuts of what I am sure can tangentially be considered missions. They may not be the prettiest or most refined, but it is action and I will take what I can get.

opening sequence to a surprise raid

opening sequence to a planetary landing operation intended to stop a factual madman

hey, this one actually has dialogue and directives rigged up, such a tryhard

Offline dukka

• literally terrible
    • Steam
A bit past 5AM seems like the perfect time for an impromptu update, right? Right!

The Missions

The first step for me getting back into this project was seeing where exactly I left off in terms of mission development. After a day or two of reviewing everything I came to the following conclusion.

• Five missions are essentially gameplay complete. They only require some changes to pacing, fluff (some more in-mission messages and finalized briefs/debriefs) and minor pre-balancing tweaks.
  • Three missions have their major pacing and sections roughed out, but still require secondary elements and more player engagement. Additionally, all of the above.
  • Finally three more missions have full concepts and only a minimal amount of FRED work done. Obviously all the above plus more apply those these three.
So yea, I guess that also means 11 missions total between a real damn short prologue and the first chapter.

The Guns and Gun Stoppers

If there was one thing that was still a mess from my original setup, it would have to be the weapons, both player usable and non. I don't really mean this in terms of balance, as the numbers on the weapons and their capabilities, but rather the organization of them all. My table file was left in the state of being a hot mess. Going forward with it as it was would be abysmal, especially when it would come to fine tuning everything. For example, I never made gun1#x and gun1#y when placing the same gun on different ships, an actual nightmare should I needed to have tweaked it on one or other. So, I spent a few hours going through every last bit to give some sane structure to the file as well as ensure I had every last variant I would need.

As for player primary and secondary weapons, there isn't really a whole lot to write home about yet in terms of anything beyond the norm. Except maybe for the fact that I have four different unguided rockets. Don't know why.

Armor and damage types are another element that I should of taken care of much early, but kind of didn't with the exception off making a rough cross chart of the interactions of the two. At the same time, I don't except to do anything crazy with the stupid number of types for both that I plan to have. Instead, I guess it is more about a) future proofing everything, just in case and b) it is a nice way of having some fine control beyond just hull/shield/subsystem factors.

Drones: A Dumb Gameplay Element I Should Feel Sorry For

I wanted a fodder-esque fighter that I could use when needed, but didn't want to have this strange thought of "are these various factions really throwing around human capital that hamfistedly?". My solution? Lore out one of the fighters as being an autonomous unit that is relatively cheap and quite pentiful, even on the fringe of (formerly) Imperial claims. As part of this I created a different set of AI presets to use with these drones that cause them to play in a much more selfless and aggressive manner. I say 'set of AI presets' however as I want there to be an alternative gameplay way of handling the more difficult levels of drones. Essentially, the lowest level of the drone AI is seen as fully autonomous. The more advanced tiers however require some kind of anchor or relay present on field to allow for their more (seemingly) advanced tactical power. This might take the form of a regular piloted strikecraft leading a wing of drones, a signals strikecraft(s) support the drones, or even a warship using its more advanced capabilities to augment the drones.

Of course, these all have a downside, if the relay is taken out (lead fighter killed, signals strikecraft killed, warship communications subsystem destroy, etc) it will hamper the drones. This may be a simple decrease in the drones' capabilities (IE: moving to a lower AI preset) or even disabling them for a few seconds due to a data feedback spike with the sudden loss of their proxy processing power.

Overall, these drones will be easy to pick out from the rest due to the type of craft (currently I am only earmarking one fighter for this) as well as their wing identification (drones are organized into xth TacAuto, or Tactical Autonomous, groups). Lets say Cancer wing is a drone wing, you could tell from a glance that they are drones as it would be something along the lines of 'Cancer # (440th TacAuto)'.

Anyways, that is it for now. Maybe I'll get something a bit more visual during this weekend. Regardless, until next time I suppose!

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
After watching the videos, this looks totally great!

Awesome choice of music, it looks like you put a ton of thought into this and I can't wait to play it! Loving the red-yellow atmosphere skybox!

Offline dukka

• literally terrible
    • Steam
So long story made incredibly short, work on this whole deal got really sidetracked soon after that big review I mentioned in my last post. Essentially two of the missions (c01_01 an c01_02 to be precise) fell real short on multiple levels. They were lifeless really compared to the rest, and there wasn't really any room to inject some into them. So I figured, with roughly the same amount of work, I could completely rebuild them. This also has the added benefit of letting me rework the structure of the missions (they were both absurdly basic) while keeping the general plot thread going.

Anyways, I had some other stuff I wanted to write about, but I'll leave this one short for some completely arbitrary reason.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Hey, I like this a lot! That music reminds me Firefly :D. Why the hell I forgot to check for updates xD
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.