Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Next >
FS2 Open Coding - The Source Code Project (SCP) / Re: Release: 3.8.0-RC2
« Last post by Deepstar on June 27, 2017, 04:33:37 pm »
I am already using 0.12... RC3(?) i think. The one with the not-working-help system  :D.
FS2 Open Tools / Re: [Preview] Knossos 0.5.3
« Last post by ngld on June 27, 2017, 04:01:43 pm »
I've finally gotten to the development tab.

This is what I've implemented so far:

Here's mjn's mockup:

Obviously, I still have to add a few options but while I'm working on that I want some feedback since I think the mockup is still incomplete.

Ideally this is how I imagine a modder would create a mod in Knossos 1.0.0:
  • Go to the development tab and click "Create" or "New mod".
  • Enter the title and folder name
  • Add the dependencies (i.e. Media VPs)
  • Click "Browse" (next to "Mod Path") to open the mod folder and add files like models, textures, etc.
  • Select a FSO build
  • Launch FSO or FRED through Knossos
  • Once everything is done: Package (as .vp) & Upload to fsnebula.org

There are a few things missing to enable that workflow (i.e. a widget to select the dependencies). Before I start working on those parts I want your opinions on this: As a modder, tester or dev, what would you like to see here?
@mjn: I'd like to hear your take on this, too.

Eventually this interface should support TCs and adding FSO builds as well. I'm still working on the details so I'm not sure how those will look. Feel free to offer your opinions/suggestions though.

« Last post by m!m on June 27, 2017, 03:55:11 pm »
Which launcher version are you using? You should use at least version 0.12 of wxLauncher. Here is the thread for that version: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=89162.0
« Last post by Deepstar on June 27, 2017, 03:51:18 pm »
Also the Joystick Setting seems to be irrelevant at all.

Even if i select "No joystick" in the launcher, the game still use the controller i have selected as my Primary Game Controlling device in the Windows Gamecontroller settings... so i can not play this game with mouse without disconnecting my Force Feedback 2.
Because the Force Feedback effects are also still active, every hit and afterburner usage will turn my ship if i do not hold my joystick tight in my hands.
General Discussion / Re: What is your occupation?
« Last post by Mikes on June 27, 2017, 03:10:00 pm »
I teachez ze Enlishz to ze Germanz!  :nod: :lol:
FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support / Re: Debug error due to heap corruption
« Last post by m!m on June 27, 2017, 03:01:43 pm »
Please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.
The FreeSpace Upgrade Project / Re: TAC 1 Texturing
« Last post by mjn.mixael on June 27, 2017, 02:44:03 pm »
Generic metal (and anything you find that looks interesting, really) textures you can find on the internet + layer blending modes will be a useful tool for you.
General Discussion / Re: Wish Herkie423 luck
« Last post by CT27 on June 27, 2017, 02:39:56 pm »
I got a PM from Herkie earlier today:

"By the way,.... Call me captain. I got my promotion!

I am going back to the war again next week or two until my wounds are fully healed. It might not happen because the conflict is winding down---But that's what I said  weeks ago, right? and it's not yet over."
Wings of Dawn / Re: A WoD dev blog
« Last post by Spoon on June 27, 2017, 02:25:43 pm »
I've had this post reply tab open for roughly 4 days, but instead of actually typing the damn post, I spend most of my time being stupidly absorbed in total warhammer. But hey, finally united and saved the empire, so there's that.
Game development is hard, especially when I can't muster any motivation to do unfun things that are work and effort, and completely make no progress towards that internal deadline I had set for myself.

While I wasn't particularly a fan of flying it in old WoD, I always really liked the Kaze's design. It's nice to see it getting some love here. I'll probably like flying it more upgraded, and it looks great in that colour scheme too. :)
Old WoD's Kaze had a lot of... issues, it wasn't particularly fun to fly with. I think I've adressed most of these issues in nuWoD at least.
Also that is definitely not the color scheme it will end up with. Unless the CRF ends up importing them from the SF...

More heavily armed and armoured and it's red so it goes like three times faster.

So... what's the catch? It's rotation times, right? The great holy trinity of numbers to rule all numbers in Freespace fighter evaluation.

Also those x-wings are super sexy.
There's no catch, it's just a straight up better Kaze!

In other development blog news, once more about missiles. Previously when I complained how countermeasures are so backwards, and I finally got a build that fixed all of the issues I had with them, I figured I'd be done with missiles for a while! But as I was test playing, I just couldn't help but keep noticing how bad most missiles seemed at just hitting their damn target. Even missiles like the DHSM-3c Dart, which has a turn time of 0,6 seconds will often just not turn right. Most missiles seem pointless to use at close ranges too. I randomly mentioned/complained about it on irc that I just didn't liked how missiles felt in Freespace, no matter what kind of settings I seemed to fiddle with. This prompted DahBlount to look into the code for me, and he discovered it was actually something simple and silly. It's swarm missiles that can't hit things for ****, and well, most WoD missiles tend to have swarm enabled to some extend.
I didn't really had any indication that making a missile a Swarm, would innately mess with its ability to track. But hey, the more you know.

To give you an idea how it affects missile behavior: https://my.mixtape.moe/njonia.webm with Swarm
https://my.mixtape.moe/jcvmrh.webm With Corkscrew without any twist applied to it.

So I ended up changing most of the swarm missiles to corkcrews instead, but this means I'll have to go mess with all of their turn values again, since over the years I've just been giving them really low values to try and compensate for bad swarm tracking...
Blue Planet / Re: The Blue Planet Oracle (full BP2/3 spoilers within!)
« Last post by Phantom Hoover on June 27, 2017, 01:38:29 pm »
Someone on IRC advanced the theory that they were a leaker within GTVI, which seemed very convincing at the time.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Next >