Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Next >
The FRED Workshop / Re: [WIP] Happy New Year 2017
« Last post by Goober5000 on April 28, 2017, 04:15:14 pm »
A joint campaign release between woutersmits and Bryan See?  That sounds awesome!

I for one can't wait to play it.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it the nuclear winter that was caused by the meteor that slowly killed off the dinosaurs and not the impact itself?

So yeah, a lot of people would be killed on the impact site and more by possible tsunamis if the meteor impacted in or close to the ocean, but on a planetary scale I think the meteor would have wiped out a comparetively small number of citizens of Earth.

Both the UEF and GTVA have terraformign equipment so it stands to reason that they could greatly shorten the length of the nuclear winter or maybe even outright prevent it. And even if they can't, Humans still have the necessary technology to survive in such an enviroment or alternatively evacuate to other habitats, like Mars, some moons or hollowed out asteroids like the Gefs use.

Of course a flood of billions of refugees would cause a whole lot of new problems all over the Solar System, but also opportunities.

In an extreme case it could even lead to peace, if the GTVA were to agree to a cease fire and delivered disaster relief... or it could mean that Steele would use the ensuing Chaos to make a decisive strike against Earth or Mars. Of course the political fallout of letting Earth be so badly mauled might still cost him his career, but by the time he get's withdrawn the strike would have already happened.
FS2 Open Coding - The Source Code Project (SCP) / Re: Release: 3.8.0-RC1
« Last post by chief1983 on April 28, 2017, 03:37:09 pm »
Actually I think the release process should have created a 3.8 RC1 tag with the correct versioning committed, should be able to check that out or download the archive of that specific hash I think.
General Discussion / Re: W-H-I-Y-L - boom shake-shake shake the-room.
« Last post by CP5670 on April 28, 2017, 03:08:04 pm »
I finally got a new job and just signed the papers for it. I got backstabbed and fired late last year by some complete bastards who put on a show of pretending to be my friends, but have ended up with a much better job, so it turned out well in the end. It's my fourth job in the last four years, but should be a good opportunity and something I can do for at least 2-3 years, maybe longer.
Site Support / Feedback / Re: Ongoing connectivity issues
« Last post by BlueFlames on April 28, 2017, 02:58:27 pm »
No real change.  Still getting occasional slowdowns and 502 errors.
« Last post by The E on April 28, 2017, 02:00:17 pm »
The E: That did the trick.  I'm amazed.  Unlike most things out there, this is a solid project.  Everything just... works. :D  I do understand the reasoning about using github to allow lots of people to contribute to the engine.  I just think at major releases it would be cool to release the solution files for major versions of vis studio for less experienced people like me who do know how to program and just want to fiddle with it as a hobby on our days off, instead of having to troubleshoot, install apps, get a headache, etc.

This is something we will not do. CMAKE is a perfect solution for our particular needs, and the built-in CMAKE support in VS2017 means that you don't need solution files anymore.

I noticed that the version it compiled was 3.7.5, probably because that was the zipped version on the github repository.  How would I going about pulling the latest version, which is 3.8 right now yes?

We have not yet created a special 3.8 branch yet (we will likely do this when we release 3.8), so this is entirely correct.
« Last post by Captain toot toot on April 28, 2017, 01:56:32 pm »
The E: That did the trick.  I'm amazed.  Unlike most things out there, this is a solid project.  Everything just... works. :D  I do understand the reasoning about using github to allow lots of people to contribute to the engine.  I just think at major releases it would be cool to release the solution files for major versions of vis studio for less experienced people like me who do know how to program and just want to fiddle with it as a hobby on our days off, instead of having to troubleshoot, install apps, get a headache, etc.

I noticed that the version it compiled was 3.7.5, probably because that was the zipped version on the github repository.  How would I going about pulling the latest version, which is 3.8 right now yes?
« Last post by The E on April 28, 2017, 01:17:47 pm »
Hang on. Did you just simply get the zip'ed version of the github repository?

If so, you'll be needing this. Download it, and unpack the contents of this archive into the cmake folder in your FS2 source directory (so you should have a folder called "external" in the cmake folder).

Our instructions and procedures are written based on the assumption that anyone who wishes to compile their own builds will also (eventually, hopefully) contribute to the development of FSO, and as such use git to get a copy of the source repo.
« Last post by Captain toot toot on April 28, 2017, 01:01:59 pm »
The E: I'm not sure what you're talking about.  Everything is up to date I believe.  I just downloaded the latest version from github.  I also just downloaded and installed git and am now trying to figure out how to work this app too.  What do I type in git to get this updated?
Gaming Discussion / Re: Phoenix Point - From X-COM creator
« Last post by Scourge of Ages on April 28, 2017, 12:33:48 pm »
please fund our game so our devs can afford to work by electric lights instead of gas lanterns
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Next >