Author Topic: DEB packages for Ubuntu  (Read 21966 times)

Offline ni1s

Re: DEB packages for Ubuntu
1) Has anybody tried to run the game from "/usr/games", with the data placed in "/usr/share/games" ?
Not as far as I know. Keep in mind that FSO does require current working directory of the binary to be the game data directory.

There are enumerable ways to solve this, not sure which is best. Attached is a small(2 line) patch that has fs2_open change the working directory to whatever the env. variable FS2_DATA_DIR is pointing to.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
There are enumerable ways to solve this, not sure which is best. Attached is a small(2 line) patch that has fs2_open change the working directory to whatever the env. variable FS2_DATA_DIR is pointing to.
Yes, have the caller change directory to the game data directory before calling the binary.  This is what wxLauncher does on linux.

That being said, if we go this route, we should have FSO log that is it is changing dirs (and the directory that it is changing to) so that the support ninjas can tell what is going on.  Also, IIRC (I don't have the code in front of me) logging would have already started, which means that the log file is being written to the old working directory.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
So chdir, then write the working dir to the log file once it's created.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline bash

Well. guess this was just someone blowing a lot of steam again, huh?
Has anyone heard anything about how this project is progressing?

Well, pretty old thread, isn't it.

Now there are DEB packages available for wxlauncher and freespace2 engine, respectively:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?suite=all&section=all&arch=any&keywords=freespace2&searchon=names

The engine is installed to /usr/games and needs to be copied to the main FS2 folder. 64bit users need to be sure to run
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install libasound2:i386 libasyncns0:i386 libavahi-client-dev:i386 libc6:i386 libcaca0:i386 libdbus-1-3:i386 libflac8:i386 libgcc1:i386 libglu1-mesa:i386 libjansson4:i386 libjpeg-turbo8:i386 libjson-c2:i386 liblua5.1-0:i386 libncursesw5:i386 libogg0:i386 libopenal1:i386 libpng12-0:i386 libpulse0:i386 libpulse-dev:i386 libsdl1.2debian:i386 libsdl1.2-dev:i386 libslang2:i386 libsndfile1:i386 libstdc++6:i386 libtheora0:i386 libtinfo5:i386 libvorbis0a:i386 libvorbisenc2:i386 libvorbisfile3:i386 libwrap0:i386 libx11-6:i386 libxau6:i386 libxcb1:i386 libxdmcp6:i386 libxext6:i386 zlib1g:i386
32bit users:

Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install libjansson4 liblua5.1-0 libopenal1 libsdl1.2debian libsdl1.2-dev

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Just be aware that it's 3.7.0. Given the way distros work, a PPA would probably suit FSO best, i.e. to be more up to date.  The only issue being, I couldn't figure out how to config a PPA to build for multiple Ubuntu versions (I really prefer rpm spec files to all the malarkey you need to build a deb! :))
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 03:55:29 am by niffiwan »
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

From wiley on its 3.7.2. Even wxlauncher is 0.10.1 in xenial. But you are right, a PPA (from hard-light.net?!) would be the best solution.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
If it needs to be hosted, we could figure that out I'm pretty sure.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
From wiley on its 3.7.2. Even wxlauncher is 0.10.1 in xenial. But you are right, a PPA (from hard-light.net?!) would be the best solution.

I missed that, it's very cool that the debian maintainer is staying up to date, hurrah for Dmitry Smirnov :)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:

I missed that, it's very cool that the debian maintainer is staying up to date, hurrah for Dmitry Smirnov :)
Yes, Dmitry has been very helpful with getting wxLauncher into Debian in a very timely manner.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Is this thread itself still warranting a sticky?  It doesn't actually have much useful info until page three, and if the packages are being maintained externally to this thread I don't see much purpose here.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
nah, unsticky it
----
----