Author Topic: Witcher 3  (Read 18503 times)

That trailer is amazing. I'm sure that Charles Dance will play his role perfectly (nice combo. Once as Tywin Lannister, now as a Nilfgaardian emperor :) ) And finally we will see Yeneffer and Ciri :D

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
The former in great detail, I presume, going along with The Witcher's finest tradition. :) Though the real reason I'm looking forward to it (I swear!) is the open-world gameplay they promised. Well, that, and riding on Roach (Geralt's horse. Even if it's not the same horse as in the books, she'll be called Roach). And seeing Dandelion get in trouble again. Everyone not dead as of The Witcher 2 will probably come up, and they'd have to integrate the events on the latest prequel book somewhat neatly (which means we can hope for a new sign).

Game looks pretty badass. Need to play 1+2 first though.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Make sure to play them multiple times. Both 1 and 2 have multiple paths you can take that radically alter the universe. And since you can import saves from 1 to 2, you end up with 8 (2^3) possible combinations! :) And that's not counting minor decisions, you get to decide who lives and who dies quite a few times.

Here are the three E3 gameplay presentations, showing combat, dialogues and three environments (Woods, City of Novigrad and Swamps). It already looks very promising, but still needs some optimization. First presentation is on XBone the other two on PC:

The streaming compression kills many details, so you really can't judge the graphics properly.

Offline Kolgena

Those three black rectangles are gorgeous.

I didn't play Witcher 1, but TW2 just by itself is good enough as standalone, IMO. TW1 is like 50 hours with a ****ty combat model and crappy voice acting, so I've heard. Its writing is supposed to be alright though.

What do you mean? The videos work fine for me.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com

I didn't play Witcher 1, but TW2 just by itself is good enough as standalone, IMO. TW1 is like 50 hours with a ****ty combat model and crappy voice acting, so I've heard. Its writing is supposed to be alright though.

The enhanced edition of Witcher 1 fixed a lot of issues. I replayed the first few hours and it was less cringey than I remember.

Even then, the middle and later acts of Witcher 1 are pretty amazing once you get past the mixed VO work and sometimes dodgy mechanics. Plus the really... teenaged "mature" things seem to slip away more as the game progresses. The last acts seem to do a good "do the ends justify the means" type plot, where plenty of other games fail with that in their villains. (I'm looking at you Dragon Age II)
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Being Polish has few advantages, but one of them is playing TW1 in original language. :) It's writing is very good, it's just the translation that sucks. Enhanced Edition partially fixes this, but even then, The Witcher doesn't translate well (for example, the entire secondary plot line of the fourth act is an extended jab at two lead poets of Polish romanticism... of whom none of you probably heard about). The aforementioned "teenaged mature" stuff actually comes off very natural in Polish version. Yes, lower classes really swear that much around here (so do the "new" upper classes, much chagrin of what's left of the old ones...). :) Polish VA is much better than English, too. This is why you see those issues fixed in TW2. Not only the first one was never written with foreign audiences in mind, it was written specifically for Polish fans of The Witcher. As for combat mechanics, 1 is much more tactical than 2. TBH, I actually liked that system better. It focused more on planning the fight than on the fight itself.

It's though to say whether you'll like the first game, but it's not like it's very expensive nowadays. :) Main plotline certainly doesn't disappoint once it picks up. Also, since you can import saves from the first game to the second, depending on how you play, you can end up with some major differences in TW2, particularly at the start of 3rd chapter.

Witcher 1 had a great story and story-based RPG mechanics, but the combat was sooo baaad. I mean seriously, you have to hold LMB to attack and deal with those timed clicks. It's the worst mix of Diablo era and modern ARPG combat design. It doesn't help that there are way too many grind quests. And walking backwards is incredibly slow(seriously like 20cm per second). I can run backwards at a decent pace and I'm a 20yo neckbeard. A supermutant that went through hellish training should be able to beat that.
I tried to like it but I just couldn't deal with that combat. BTW, only played the Enhanced Edition.
The 2nd one had a few flaws in the combat, but at least it committed to being an over-the-shoulder modern ARPG, not a weird mix like the first one.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Kolgena

What do you mean? The videos work fine for me.

i donno. They're working fine for me too now. Some weirdness with flash/FF probably, because I recently updated both.

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
Sooo there's the intro:
Hype?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 06:43:35 am by Zacam »
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Not until you fix the embed. :)

Fixed it for him, because I'm impatient.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Ah, Yen. She's always been awesome. Seeing her meet Geralt again is gonna be grand... but that's nothing compared to what would happen when she finds out about Triss. :)

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
So minimal requirements are here:
CPU: Intel CPU Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz / AMD CPU Phenom II X4 940
GPU: Nvidia GPU GeForce GTX 660 / AMD GPU Radeon HD 7870
RAM: 6GB RAM
Direct X: 11
HDD: 40 GB free space

SOOOO well. This is kinda ridiculous. It is a big game, lots of content etc, ok, have 40GB HDD space and 6GB ram. But the CPU/GPU is ridiculous. You should be able to play it on hardware for a little over half their price. If this doesn't change until may, this is gonna be stupid.
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Witcher 3: the new Crysis 1? ;)

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
SOOOO well. This is kinda ridiculous. It is a big game, lots of content etc, ok, have 40GB HDD space and 6GB ram. But the CPU/GPU is ridiculous. You should be able to play it on hardware for a little over half their price. If this doesn't change until may, this is gonna be stupid.
I'm sorry what?

Intel i5-2500k is four years old, AMD X4 940 is six years old. GTX 660 is over two years old and 7870 is almost three years old. You can get hardware of equivalent performance for very reasonable price today. You're being silly and arguing otherwise will only make you more silly.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Also, remember the "minimum requirements" are usually "the crappiest rig we tested it on, and it ran without a hitch". You can take your chances if you're below the requirements in some areas. 64bit is likely mandatory (if they're not working with 32bit, they can make it take full advantage of 64bit architecture) and it's hard to argue with HD space as well. Same goes for RAM (though if it's well-written, you might get away with 4GB). But I don't think that it's dependent specifically on the CPU being a quadcore and graphics card being a 7870 or later. It all depends on how much slideshow/uglyness you're able to stomach. I played ArmA II (singleplayer only, multi obviously wouldn't work) on a rig that should have been incapable of running it, and it was still a fun experience (though it didn't look too good, and was very lag-prone). 20FPS is what most movies are played at. If you can run it at that rate, with occasional lag spikes, then you should be able to play it.

That said, The Witcher 2 did use more resources than it really should, so YMMV. It wasn't exactly the best coded game I played. Perhaps they will have good optimization this time, but if they don't, there's a chance the actual minimum requirements to make the thing playable will be higher than official ones.

Anyway, I'll likely be looking into a new rig when it's out. I'll be moving to Windows 10 64bit, with at least 8GB (if not 16) of RAM and a quadcore CPU.