Author Topic: YT-1300 Transport methods  (Read 4708 times)

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
YT-1300 Transport methods
I stumbled across a picture I'd never seen before:

Wow.  All of a sudden things start to work in my mind.  Why that slot exists in the first place.  Why the cockpit is on the side of the ship.  Why there's really limited cargo space in the "freighter" in the first place.  How Han managed to "dump" his cargo of spice and run (and why that was necessary, instead of just running with the spice still in his internal holds).

I don't think it'd be too difficult to implement.  We'd need a new or modified cargo container, and set up some new docking points.  I mean, it's obviously a ret-con, but it's a GOOD retcon.  And dang would I like to see this.

Offline Luis Dias

Re: YT-1300 Transport methods
Yeah, I learned something cool today! Thanks.

Yeah, I learned something cool today! Thanks.
Indeed.

Offline Oddgrim

• I like building stuff.
    • Art Thumblr
Okey, now thats clever shipdesign. c:
[GhostOfMjn: I can provide hi res vasudan ass]
[Hades]: we have so much in common we should bang.
My models page:
http://p3d.in/u/Oddgrim

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I thought it was because the Lucas saw a hamburger with a bite out of it and a olive on the side. :P
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
I thought it was because the Lucas saw a hamburger with a bite out of it and a olive on the side. :P

Well, like I said, obvious retcon.  But it's gotta be one of the best retcons I've ever seen.

Offline Dain

Agreed, it all suddenly makes sense. I hope we see it on-screen at some point.

Of course, it makes the EU YT series make a lot less sense.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I heard it was because he wanted a flying saucer but with a speedy look....

2400 for life anyway ;)
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
well hope they never forget to not shoot concussion missiles while its setup like that  :nervous:
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
well hope they never forget to not shoot concussion missiles while its setup like that  :nervous:

I'm gonna venture a guess that the concussion missile launchers were an aftermarket modification that Han added to the Falcon.  I don't see any reason why standard YT-1300 transports would have them.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam

I'm gonna venture a guess that the concussion missile launchers were an aftermarket modification that Han added to the Falcon.  I don't see any reason why standard YT-1300 transports would have them.

This.  Also probably why he ditched the cargo in a hurry, no fallback defense, just (unmanned) turbolasers... Yeah, anyone ever think of that?  If Chewie's up front helping manage shields / prep hyperdrive and whatnot, the Falcon can't shoot back except for the concussion missiles.  xP  Although I wonder if you could remote control the turrets from the cockpit, or probably more likely, lock them forward / back and remote fire, just there's no point when duking it out with fighers as you're far too busy staying alive to try and kill them.  :shrug:

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I think that Chewie most likely crewed the turrets in combat, switching between them as needed. Han wouldn't have installed those (or mounted automated ones) if he needed Chewie in cockpit during combat.

I really like that retcon, anyway. It really makes a lot of sense. If the Falcon was a space tug first and foremost, it was really just the thing to modify the way Han did it. It must have already had powerful engines (if not fast ones), a powerful steering system and a reactor to power all this. Also, while authorities routinely scan cargo containers, scanning the tug is most likely something that's often forgone to save time (or simply out of lazyness). TBH, I wonder why did it take so long for someone to think of this.

Offline Crashdown117

• You can't take the sky from me
    • Steam
I think that Chewie most likely crewed the turrets in combat, switching between them as needed. Han wouldn't have installed those (or mounted automated ones) if he needed Chewie in cockpit during combat.

I think so, too. Especially because either Han or Lando before him (or any of the I don't know how many other owners) would've very likely changed that, if it hadn't been this way all along. I mean, basically all of the Falcon's weaponry is a custom layout, so why would one not correct a "flaw" like that? I wonder, though: Does Chewie even fit in there? Looked quite narrow to me in ANH, if I remember that scene correctly.

And I would SO love to see this in-game, though I know defending that cargo will be a pain in the ass  :)
"Flying is easy, landing is hard" - Delta-07

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy

I think so, too. Especially because either Han or Lando before him (or any of the I don't know how many other owners) would've very likely changed that, if it hadn't been this way all along. I mean, basically all of the Falcon's weaponry is a custom layout, so why would one not correct a "flaw" like that? I wonder, though: Does Chewie even fit in there? Looked quite narrow to me in ANH, if I remember that scene correctly.

And I would SO love to see this in-game, though I know defending that cargo will be a pain in the ass  :)
Considering Han and Luke were the ones to man the turrets during the fight scene against the TIEs in Episode IV, I think it's more likely that Chewie stayed in the cockpit and Han took to the guns during such circumstances.

Now that I think about it, I think Han piloted with Chewie on the guns during a fight in "Truce at Bakura".  EU books notwithstanding, my original point stands.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Right. Though this probably wasn't set in stone, anyway. Both Han and Chewie were good pilots and good gunners, after all. One of them just hopped into the turrets whenever there was a need to get some shooting done. Presumably they took turns at the controls during long hauls, so the one not currently flying would be the gunner.

Offline Crashdown117

• You can't take the sky from me
    • Steam
Yeah, and also I think one of the main reasons why we don't see Chewie on guns in the movies is that it's easier to get somebody in there, who isn't wearing a Wookiee costume. In the books and comics you had each of them either gun or fly on occasion (yes, I know EU is no longer).
"Flying is easy, landing is hard" - Delta-07

Offline Damage

• I'm a Major.
To the picture itself:  Where did you find that anyway?

Up till about five minutes ago, I'd always assumed "YT-1300 Light Stock Freighter" really translated to something more like "courier." 
I didn't feel like putting anything here.  Then I did it anyway just to be contrary.

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
To the picture itself:  Where did you find that anyway?

Up till about five minutes ago, I'd always assumed "YT-1300 Light Stock Freighter" really translated to something more like "courier." 

Um...I think it was linked in a comment on a star-wars picture dump on imgur or reddit.  I came across it completely accidentally.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
According to Wookiepedia, that image is "Unused concept art of the Millennium Falcon with cargo pods for Star Wars: The Force Awakens: Incredible Cross-Sections"
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================