Author Topic: Getting the open installer to work  (Read 1926 times)

Offline JUD3

Getting the open installer to work
So I am not knowledgeable about computers at all. I just wanted to download the new open installer to enjoy freespace 2 with some better graphics. So: I'm on a Windows 10 home computer, I downloaded the latest version of java then finally tried to download the Open Installer. It downloaded and then asked me how I wanted to open it. I chose internet explorer since there was no other option that made any sence. It downloads, asked me if I want to save, so i save it, then when I try to open the installer it acts like its going to do something and then does nothing at all whatso ever. Can anyone tell me how to download the Open Installer so I can enjoy Freespace 2 please?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Getting the open installer to work
The installer itself is a Java program that should run when you double click on it. Make sure you've got the Java thing linked on the installer page.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
The installer itself is a Java program that should run when you double click on it. Make sure you've got the Java thing linked on the installer page.

In case it isn't clear to you, what Battuta is saying is that you need Java installed to run (double-click) Java programs (which the FSO Installer is), and also of course that there is a link to Java on the Installer page.  Sorry if that's over-simplifying.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
If you do have Java installed, you may have to right-click on the FSO Installer, select "Open With...", and track down your actual Java platform binary to get Windows to open it.