Author Topic: How to open Modded campaigns  (Read 3953 times)

How to open Modded campaigns
So, I am not looking to be a mod creator, just to enjoy other people's work. I downloaded FS2 from GOG, and then downloaded the FSOpen Installer. Everything seemed to download, including things like Blue Planet. And the game seemed to load and run fine (I'm assuming that since I used the installer, the graphics are now the newer version for main game.)

However, I have no clue as to how to open any of those modded campaigns, such as Blue Planet. Anyone know what to do?

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Re: How to open Modded campaigns
Assuming the installer worked and installed the mods correctly into your FS directory, it's basically a two step process. First, select the mod you want to play from the launcher and run FSOpen. Then, either with a new pilot or an old pilot, go to the campaign room from the main hall menu and select the campaign from the mod you activated. Then play the campaign like you would normal FS2.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

First BW, wanna legitimately thank you for taking the time to help someone out.

Second, meant to ask, is there anything special I need to do to ensure the newer graphics and visuals for main game are used or should it be automatic? Was looking at picture comparisons, now no longer sure if it did it automatically lol.

But on to the main issue the post is for.

Ok, so in Blue Planet Folder in the directory, there's a bunch of files... and then I used the launcher, which if I used the right one was called Launcher and had a paw print next to it... and then clicked browse and hit Blue planet.... and the only thing in that, or any of the folders, was either blank or the text documents. I think I did something wrong.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Yea, IIRC the old launcher (v5.5g) did things a little bit differently - I think you need to select a FS2 Open executable - it should be in the main game directory, something like fs2_open_3_8_0_RC1_x64_SSE2.exe... But to run new FSO versions properly, you will need the wxLauncher. Just download the exe, install wxLauncher from it, and 90% work should be done by then. It should automatically detect Freespace Open - the only thing left for you is to select the proper options (mostly 'Advanced' tab, if you feel like tampering with cool stuff) and choose the mod you want to play via 'Mods' tab.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
First BW, wanna legitimately thank you for taking the time to help someone out.

Second, meant to ask, is there anything special I need to do to ensure the newer graphics and visuals for main game are used or should it be automatic? Was looking at picture comparisons, now no longer sure if it did it automatically lol.

It's automatic if you want to play a fan made camapign. For example, if you choose Blue Planet, it will load the advanced graphics as a subset of its own new ships and effects and things. If you just want to play the FS2 campaign with the nicer graphics, you need to select the "MediaVPs 2014" mod and click "Activate" (like any other mod).

MitoPL has nailed it otherwise. I hope this isn;t sounding too complicated - it really isn't, especially with WX launcher. The first time you play, you need to select your downloaded FSO executable, set your initial settings once (there are presets to help with that), pick a mod, click activate and then click play. After that it's one click to play until you want to try a different mod, then you select it, click activate and away you go.
Rarely Updated P3D.

Wanna thank you both so far. Hmm, well Mito I did try downloading that. But, and this counts for Blackwolf's original idea too, it seems to have the same issue as the other launcher, - in that when I go to pic a MOD folder, they all seem to be empty and it claims they have no executables.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Yea, IIRC the old launcher (v5.5g) did things a little bit differently - I think you need to select a FS2 Open executable - it should be in the main game directory, something like fs2_open_3_8_0_RC1_x64_SSE2.exe... But to run new FSO versions properly, you will need the wxLauncher.
???
5.5g is running the new executables just fine.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Mito [PL]

There's one more thing - have you selected the game's main folder in the proper field? (like D:/Games/Freespace) If you didn't, that's probably why the launcher can't find any executables: it doesn't know where to look for them.
You might also consider using one of the more recent FSO builds, as the PBR render is amazing.

@Spoon: So the problems are only with wxLauncher 0.10.1? I think it was about SDL and proper mod loading, but I can't remember that for sure.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Right now, this is where everything is-   C:\GOG Games\Freespace 2   and in freespace 2 is where all the mod folders are

IS that right?

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
@Spoon: So the problems are only with wxLauncher 0.10.1? I think it was about SDL and proper mod loading, but I can't remember that for sure.
I dont know about wxLauncher, as I havent used it in a very long time. But 5.5g hasn't given me any issues with mod loading or SDL or anything.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Yea, IIRC the old launcher (v5.5g) did things a little bit differently - I think you need to select a FS2 Open executable - it should be in the main game directory, something like fs2_open_3_8_0_RC1_x64_SSE2.exe... But to run new FSO versions properly, you will need the wxLauncher.
???
5.5g is running the new executables just fine.

It runs them, but there are definitely issues. A 3.8 executable from 5.5g can't see mod folders with spaces in the name, for example. Bloom doesn't work, and other lighting is weird. Probably other things too.

Kylekatarn77: The folder you have FSO installed into shouldn't matter. Have you chosen an executable file yet? The "Basic Settings" tab of wxLauncher will allow you to set your FS2 folder, and then it will detect all of the FSO executable files in that folder, which you can pick from a dropdown menu. Here's what mine looks like:

It doesn't matter if the installer didn't install 3.8.0 - as long as you pick an executable file. It'll probably be 3.7.4 or something like that. Do that, and then check the mods tab. They should all show up.
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline Mito [PL]

...Maybe there isn't any FSO executable to choose? It's getting a bit weird.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Got it to work! I think I was going too far into subfolders- choosing just freespace 2 folder worked. Thanks again guys!

One last thing- mission 3 or 4 I tried to change my selected fighter and it keeps causing the game to stop working and quit. Any thoughts?

Offline Mito [PL]

Please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.

I think that turning on '3D Weapon Selection' and '3D Ship Selection' in Advanced Settings in your launcher should help.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
It runs them, but there are definitely issues. A 3.8 executable from 5.5g can't see mod folders with spaces in the name, for example. Bloom doesn't work, and other lighting is weird. Probably other things too.
??????????

Looks like bloom to me!

It can see every mod folder just fine with a build made this very month.
There seems to be some odd misinformation circling about 5.5g, because exactly zero of the things you guys are saying about it are true. And I've even put WoD on my laptop with windows 10 to make sure its not an OS problem, since my desktop is on 7.

Guys, 5.5g still works fine.
Urutorahappī!!

5.5g works for standalone game i.e. original FS2, new WoD etc., not with mods for them.

Okay, I'll bite, how does that (not) work?

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
5.5g works for standalone game i.e. original FS2, new WoD etc., not with mods for them.
Again, what? I have been running JAD, Mediavp's, BP etc etc with 5.5g or years, and never run into any issues.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Again, what? I have been running JAD, Mediavp's, BP etc etc with 5.5g or years, and never run into any issues.
None of the mods you just listed come in folders with spaces in them.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.