Author Topic: The HTL Sath is broken  (Read 13839 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
The HTL Sath is broken
Adding a big hole in the middle of the main beams that a double Helios shot can fly through is a problem. The turret submodels for the main beams need to be made solid.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Re: The HTL Sath is broken
Or I dunno, maybe you could just add some transparent polies to guarantee detonation?

Offline Axem

That'd probably be the best (and easiest) thing to do, since it doesn't really need re-exporting then...

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Man, and I thought Bearbaiting was gitchy enough in retail...

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Someone get it done and I'll make sure it gets into the MediaVPs packs.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Just one question...

Where?
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
The turret submodels for the main beams.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I checked it out and they are okay in terms of normals and other stuff. The problem is in RGA's geometry. Origin is in the middle place between three spikes of the beam.
External collision box or moving the origin would fix the problem. First solution requires reimporting the submodels, and the second... Well. Someome would import transparent box and place them on spikes, but I doubt if it works. It's better to import each one to some 3D program, and make dedicated collision models. Nobody wants to see their Helios exploding a meters away from turret :P.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Nobody wants to see their Helios exploding a meters away from turret :P.

Nobody should care. Plus, if you're that close to an exploding Helios to see how far it is away when it "impacts", you're stupid.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Nobody should care. Plus, if you're that close to an exploding Helios to see how far it is away when it "impacts", you're stupid.

Or insane. 50/50 percent chance.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 04:26:39 am by Mammothtank »

Offline Luis Dias

What are you guys talking about, this **** right here is exactly the problem. You guys don't care at all about immersion. We all know that the be all end all of every single media thing ever, is immersion.

Right after this correction, I demand head bobbing.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
What are you guys talking about, this **** right here is exactly the problem. You guys don't care at all about immersion. We all know that the be all end all of every single media thing ever, is immersion.

Right after this correction, I demand head bobbing.

It isn't like the hitbox is going to be thousands of kilometers away. Immersion versus fun, engaging gameplay, amirite?
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Luis Dias

pfff "engaging gameplay". Whodafuq cares about that. GET ON with my headbobbing demand already.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
We all know that the be all end all of every single media thing ever, is immersion.

At least one school of drama would like to disagree with you; sometimes pushing the audience away hard is exactly the kind of point a media creator wants...
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
He's being super sarcastic, don't worry.

Or insane. 50/50 percent chance.

Or you use the POV hat to see whether your shot impacts whilst afterburning the hell out of there. That's not the thing making me insane right?

I was never too keen on the hollow triangular prism shape of the Sathanas' HTL beams, to be honest. Seems like a bit of artistic license was taken over the original solid red spikes. Granted, those were probably only spiky in the first place because of poly limits of the time, and we can afford a lot more detail now. But as a counterpoint, the Ravana's beams still look pretty much the same: big ol' red spikes of doom.

Why does the Sathanas get these fancy beam emitter models when the Ravana continues to use sharp pointy spikes (which also look a bit more intimidating, IMO)?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Mainly because they were modeled by different people several years apart.

In general the new Sath is a much more polished and better looking model than the Ravana, these kinds of aesthetic differences are just what you get when you've got a mishmash of models made some 8 years ago and relatively new modern looking models. At least it's better than the retail Demon that's still in use.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Fair points. The retail Demon is pretty hilarious next to a HTL Sathanas or even Ravana these days. Those cubic turrets...!