Author Topic: What are your custom flags ?  (Read 1962 times)

Offline potterman28wxcv

• Just a fan player
What are your custom flags ?
There is this page called Sample Lighting Settings on the wiki.

While it's useful, it might be outdated, so I was just wondering which settings do you use to have your best visual gameplay ? :)

Re: What are your custom flags ?
Phantom Hoover Approved Light Settings (I think. They're pretty old by now.):

-ambient_factor 160 -spec_exp 5 -spec_point 0.15 -spec_static 1.0 -spec_tube 1.0 -ogl_spec 40 -bloom_intensity 42 -fxaa_preset 9 -fov 0.55 -no_emissive_light
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
It's all highly subjective, I've been using:
-ambient_factor 150 -ogl_spec 70 -spec_exp 5 -spec_point 0.6 -spec_static 1.25 -spec_tube 0.6  -fov 0.75 -fxaa_preset 9
for a while now. And I haven't experimented recently with all the visual improvements that Swifty has implented (shadows/deferred lighting etc) to see what new settings would make more sense with those developments.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
If you use wxLauncher, it has some preset settings to choose from.  Go under 'Advanced', then in the 'Lighting presets' section choose what you want.

Yeah but those presets aren't, in my experience, very good.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
You could submit your own, maybe the wxLauncher could include them?  :shrug:

There is this page called Sample Lighting Settings on the wiki.

While it's useful, it might be outdated, so I was just wondering which settings do you use to have your best visual gameplay ? :)

It depends on my mood, but right now I'm using this:

-ambient_factor 0 -no_emissive_light -spec_exp 11 -spec_point 1.5 -spec_static .8 -spec_tube .6 -ogl_spec 83

All you have to do is take what's on that page you found, read about each flag and then experiment to see what you like the best. You might even find as I do that you don't always want the same visual style. You might one day feel that you want to change something in some way, or a to change a bunch of things - or to even be nostalgic and go back to the default appearance.

This is like asking what condiments someone prefers on a specific food - and how much of each condiment they prefer. Or what spices and how much of each spice... etc.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 05:18:36 pm by TwoCables »
Why do you say "as" instead of "because"?

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
I'm curious how anyone can see anything with both -ambient_factor 0 and  -no_emissive_light.  Playing FSBlue with nightly build 3.7.3 (0ea25e7), I cannot see ships at the baseline recommended default of -ambient_factor 75 and without -no_emissive_light.  Bumping ambient up to 140 made it playable for me.  But, then again, I was fine with ambient at 75 for other mods, although I was using 3.7.2.

EDIT: I hope that didn't sound snotty or critical - I really am curious!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 06:00:10 pm by deathspeed »
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

I'm curious how anyone can see anything with both -ambient_factor 0 and  -no_emissive_light.  Playing FSBlue with nightly build 3.7.3 (0ea25e7), I cannot see ships at the baseline recommended default of -ambient_factor 75 and without -no_emissive_light.  Bumping ambient up to 140 made it playable for me.  But, then again, I was fine with ambient at 75 for other mods, although I was using 3.7.2.

It's for realism.

Besides, I don't need to see anything at that distance because I use my radar. This is how it would be in real life. Imagine being out in space and it's super dark at huge distances away from a sun and you're trying to rely on visual contact. It's not going to happen unless you're close enough for combat. Even then you might not be able to see them very well or at all. That's one of the things the targeting system is for.

The first time I did this, I was like "I can't see anything at all at a distance...", but then it hit me that this is far more realistic and I love realism. Plus, the way things look close up is amazing. So, it grew on me.
Why do you say "as" instead of "because"?

Offline potterman28wxcv

• Just a fan player

It's for realism.

Besides, I don't need to see anything at that distance because I use my radar. This is how it would be in real life. Imagine being out in space and it's super dark at huge distances away from a sun and you're trying to rely on visual contact. It's not going to happen unless you're close enough for combat. Even then you might not be able to see them very well or at all. That's one of the things the targeting system is for.

The first time I did this, I was like "I can't see anything at all at a distance...", but then it hit me that this is far more realistic and I love realism. Plus, the way things look close up is amazing. So, it grew on me.
Actually it depends on the mod. I recall having tried an ambient factor 0 + no emissive light on a pre great-war mod (can't remember the name, it was relating how terrans had discovered subspace), in which you had no targeting system and ballistic weapons. While it felt great to be in the dark, it was actually very hard because the A.I. would have a great advantage over you (being able too see you in the dark), while you would struggle to see A.I. ships. Sure, it was very awesome for realism, but I had to turn no-emissive-light back off in a couple of missions that I just could not handle in Insane without it.

(or i could just have left it as it is, and go to an easier difficulty)

Phantom Hoover Approved Light Settings (I think. They're pretty old by now.):

-ambient_factor 160 -spec_exp 5 -spec_point 0.15 -spec_static 1.0 -spec_tube 1.0 -ogl_spec 40 -bloom_intensity 42 -fxaa_preset 9 -fov 0.55 -no_emissive_light
I am using now the same as you, but with -ambient_factor 0 instead. I might tweak it a bit more, but so far it really looks great, thanks :)