Author Topic: Blue Planet: The Blade Itself, Weapon Control?  (Read 3493 times)

Blue Planet: The Blade Itself, Weapon Control?
Hi there,

I just finished the Age of Aquarius campaign, and want to play War in Heaven now.
So I started with the 1 mission campaign "The Blade itself". Well at least I tried.
The description says that you should use the arrow keys to control your turrets, but this won't work.
The arrow keys don't have any function at all. And without turret control it is nearly impossible to win the mission.
Any suggestions how I solve this problem?

Re: Blue Planet: The Blade Itself, Weapon Control?
We're gonna need more details on that issue. Do you mean that you can't change the turrets' targeting mode with the arrows, or that the turrets won't fire at all? By default, the turrets should be set to target whatever they want. What does the turret control gauge on the left of the screen says?
Also, we may need you to generate and post a debug log.

Thank you for your help.

The turrets are working. They are set to automatic mode (standard) and they fire.

But I can't select turrets with the arrow keys. The description says I should be able to select turrets with the up and down arrow keys, but it doesn't work.
And because I can't select the turrets I can't change the targeting mode with the left and right arrow keys.
As I said the arrow keys seem to have no function at all.

Can't post a debug log at the moment because I'm not at home. But except the arrow key issue everything else is working fine.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 08:22:17 am by Lord_Morpheus »

Check what keys you have your shield management bound to in the F2 options menu.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Ok after some more testing I found the reason.

I have the german version of freespace 2. After I created a reg-entry and changed the language to english everything worked fine.

That is a bizarre bug which probably merits further investigation.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Crybertrance

• Conventional warheads only, no funny business
For the record, you know that you cannot control any individual turret right? And also that you cannot control any turret and fire manually, right?

Okay, I should have read the whole thread...  :p

I have to agree that this is indeed a bizarre bug... German version of FS really is strange...
<21:08:30>   Hartzaden fires a slammer at Cybertrance
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:11:58>   *** The_E joined #bp [email protected]
21:11:58   +++ ChanServ has given op to The_E
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command
<21:14:50>   Hartzaden jamms the transmission.
<21:14:51>   The_E explodes the sun

Offline -Norbert-

I too have the german version and didn't have this problem (after mapping the arrow keys back to their default).

While I didn't do any editing in my registry, I am using an english string table and stu file (the german voice acting isn't all that bad, but it's still inferior to the original).

This is a general problem of scripting cause key-input is referred by key-names. Everything but the number and letter keys do have different names in the German and French version of Freespace compared to the English version. This can be fixed by changing the registry or using the English fontsets (English stu file, which is checked in case no registry entry specifying language is present). On the other hand changing the language with a registry entry can cause several displaying issues.
To actually catch all cases a script checking for left ctrl for example would have to see if "Left Ctrl", "Strg Links" or "Ctrl Gauche" are pressed.
Here goes scripting and copy paste coding
Freespace RTS Mod
Checkpoint/Shipsaveload script

Offline cahdoge

• Is a lubricated bug a butterfly?
I do have this problem to.

If this problem isn't fixed owners of the German or french version of the game are unable to use the capsip control properly so solving the missions where you are flying a cpship become nearly impossible to finish.

I would try to fix it myself but i sadly don't have the knowledge to do so.
Understanding do you me?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Unfortunately FSO does not support the non-English versions of FreeSpace.

The good news is that you don't need the turret controls at all to beat the mission. They're just a nice convenience. Missions where you fly a capship will not become nearly impossible to finish :)

Offline m!m

Unfortunately FSO does not support the non-English versions of FreeSpace.

The good news is that you don't need the turret controls at all to beat the mission. They're just a nice convenience. Missions where you fly a capship will not become nearly impossible to finish :)
That's not true, FSO should support non-English versions but if a script only checks the English names it will not work with the non-English versions. For the future it might be nice to have a unified way of getting the name of the pressed key.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
It's always been my understanding that if you are running a non-English version of FSO you are at risk for weird **** happening.

Offline m!m

Yeah, that's kind of true but technically FSO should support non-English versions of FSO. If it wouldn't then we could remove quite a lot of dumb code :p

Offline crizza

The turrets work fine with my german version.
We are talking about setting firing modes right?

Offline cahdoge

Maybe not impossible to finish but I tried it's impossible to reach all goals in "The Blade itself".

Yes we do (arrowkeys).

Is there any way to tether the capship weapons control to the shield control?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 03:25:59 am by cahdoge »
Understanding do you me?

Offline -Norbert-

I just remembered something that might be relevant.

While I never did any registry editing myself (not on FS2 anyway), I changed my OS since installing FS2 (so all the original reg entries are gone) and all my current FS reg entries were written by the FSO Launcher.

So I thought of this as a possible solution:

Copy/Paste your FS2 folder then uninstall FS2. This should leave you with a cleaned out registry and an existing FS2 folder.
Now rename the new FS2 folder to what the original one was called (or not, doesn't really matter) and start the FSO launcher, so it can create the necessary reg entries for you.

If it works this might be a solution for people who don't want to or don't know how to mess around with their registry.

Offline cahdoge

You are right it works now.

:nod::yes:
Understanding do you me?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Maybe not impossible to finish but I tried it's impossible to reach all goals in "The Blade itself".

It's definitely not. I've run through that mission on Insane without ever touching the turret controls.

Glad you got it working, though.