Author Topic: Her Finest Hour event question  (Read 2451 times)

Offline CT27

Her Finest Hour event question
When I played BP I liked to read both the success and failure debriefings the team had created.

I have heard that in the mission "Her Finest Hour" there is a way to get the Toutatis to come in and get blown up by Serkr Team.  That is one of the few missions I haven't seen the failure debriefing for.   How does one trigger this chain of events?
(I've beat the mission but I'd like to know how to get this particular fail sequence and see the debriefing for it)

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Re: Her Finest Hour event question
IIRC, you need to:

1) have both the arty frigates leave due to damage
2) have the Big T arrive (obviously :))
3) get most of the Big T's strikecraft killed
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline CT27

For some reason I can't get the Toutatis to arrive, do I have to disable the Carthage first?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
No, you definitely don't need to disable the Carthage 1st. I think you need to acquire enough points by killing off other ships, so it's a bit of a balancing act to do well enough to have the points to call in the Toutatis vs doing badly enough to have its strikecraft trashed.  Mind you, I've only done this once and I was just stuffing around in the mission, so I can't recall exactly what I did. Definitely did *not* upload the virus to Neptune HQ in order to keep all the turrets around...
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
If I recall correctly, you need to call in most of the Toutatis air wing, then get them killed. If you do this AND both of the artillery ships are driven off due to damage, Laporte will eventually declare that the attack on the Carthage has bogged down, and batphone Calder. You don't need points to summon the Toutatis.

Offline CT27

I called in most of the reinforcement wings and my two artillery frigates are driven off but the Toutatis wasn't called in.

Does it have something to do with the "commence the attack" option you're given in the reinforcements menu; when should I be pushing that to try to get what I want to see here?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
You can't call in your reinforcement wings until you hit 'Commence the Attack'. You need call in basically everything on the list, get it all killed (ordering it to depart may work too, not sure), get the artillery driven off, then keep fighting for a while until you see Laporte talk to Calder.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
It's possible to call in the Toutatis whether the frigates leave or not; as long as most of the strikecraft go down and the Carthage hasn't attempted to surrender, eventually Laporte will phone Calder and say the attack bogged down.  I actually had that particular dialogue fire both times I called in the attack, and I know for a fact that the frigates were still happily pounding away on the Carthage the second time.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Yes, but Steele won't commit Serkr if the frigates are still viable.

Offline CT27

It's kind of funny, when I played the mission the first time I didn't know what I was doing and somehow I got the Toutatis to show up.  Now that I'm trying to get that ship to come in, I can't get it to appear.

Any suggestions for how many of the objectives (destroy tankers, minelayers, etc.) I should achieve before I hit "Commence the attack" and summon everything on the reinforcements menu?

Offline CT27

Both frigates are driven off but Laporte doesn't call Calder (i.e. the Toutatis doesn't come in).

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Both frigates are driven off but Laporte doesn't call Calder (i.e. the Toutatis doesn't come in).
It's not the frigates being driven off that's the trigger for the Toutatis being callable, it's losing most of the air wing. You will need the artillery frigates to be driven off for Serkr to show up, however.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline CT27

I do both.

All the craft are destroyed and the frigates are driven off and neither Toutatis nor Serkr show up.

I was able to call in the Toutatis by disabling the Carthage (Moving underneath her, calling in every available reinforcement at once, and then telling them to all disable her will kill the engines in a matter of seconds... it's great fun), then telling all strikecraft to depart (This prevented even a single lost airframe, except for the Custos cruisers, which wouldn't leave. Guessing that's because their drives can't cycle fast enough?) . After a while, Laporte calls Calder to tell him the attack has gotten bogged down, and asks for some help.

In several tries, I was unable to get both frigates driven off, so never saw Serkr team. I just kept getting lucky, because nothing would ever hit them. At least not often enough to scare them off before I was forced to disable the Carthage.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
That might be the key - Laporte won't bother trying to call in the Toutatis if the Carthage isn't disabled.

Offline CT27

I think I figured out how to get the Toutatis to come in but now I can't get Serkr to come in.

Both frigates are driven off and the Carthage was disabled.  I was even able to allow all Mjolnirs to survive but the Toutatis kept coming in the eventually wearing the Carthage down.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Serkr will never appear on Very Easy, not sure if that's a factor.

Offline CT27

I was playing on "Easy".  Next time I'll try Medium.

Offline CT27

It worked.

I played this mission on medium and got the Toutatis to come in and Serkr too. 

Thanks for all the help everyone.