Author Topic: Joining The Diaspora Team  (Read 79690 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Joining The Diaspora Team
So you've seen the screenshots and want to join the team? Wondering if the team can use your vast talents in order to get the game out faster? Well although we're a fairly big team for an indie game, we're wondering too. There are likely to be some very talented people wondering by to take a look at this thread so here's what we need.

C and C++ Programmers - We are always on the look out for competent C and C++ coders. We are especially in need of coders with experience in OpenGL, net code, AI or physics engines but we should be able to find something to do for any coder. We also require Mac and Linux coders since we don't want to treat those platforms as "also rans" next to Windows. The amount of support we can give those two is dependant on how many people we can get to help us fix bugs specific to those platforms though.
 Since our code is Open Source you can check it out before applying if you wish. You can find the info on how to check the code out of SVN here.

Modellers - We could use more people to help us make ships. We've got quite a big fleet to fill out. Anyone applying needs to be able to model, map and texture ships themselves (We've tried having people who could only do 1 or 2 of those and it rarely worked out very well). The applicant also needs to be willing to learn how to use the various modding tools needed to make the model work in the game.
 Examples of prior work are an absolute must for anyone applying to join us. Preferably including low to medium poly game models.

3D animators - For creating rendered cutscenes for the game. Examples of previous work will be required and must demonstrate the ability to render space scenes similar in quality to the show.

Mission Designers - The team is willing to hire more FREDders but we expect a very high level of ability with FRED. Examples of previous work using released FS2_Open mods or TCs are required.

Sound Engineers - We are in need of sound engineers capable of making the effects heard in the show for the ships and weapons. We also need someone capable of processing the voice acting for missions, briefings and cutscenes.

Scriptwriters - The team are looking into the possibility of hiring a professional scriptwriter to work on the dialogue, characterisation and plot of the later releases. The emphasis there is on the word professional. Writing fanfic does not count. If you have not earned a living scriptwriting (or won awards for it) you need not apply.
 Examples of previous work will be required.

Voice Actors - We do need voice actors but you shouldn't apply for the job here. Instead read this thread.

How to apply

Post on this thread what you can do  for us along with examples that prove it. Do not PM me! (I swear that warning gets larger with every post and yet someone still misses it! :p). Applications are vetted by the team so PMing me or some other team member will only slow down your application. A PM is acceptable though if for some reason you can not post openly.

Applicants will be given a trial period prior to getting full access to the game. This is to prevent time wasters and those who are only trying to get access (Most of the team have experienced problems with people like that in the past). The length of the trial period will be based on the job being done, how well the applicant works with the team and how much progress is made. Any work made during the trial period will of course be credited if it is used in the final game regardless of whether or not the applicant makes it onto the team.

What we don't need

Experience has shown we'll probably get more posts from people who don't have the skills we need but want to help out in some way. So here's a list of the things we don't need. If that's all you can do for us, thank you for your interest but we can't use you.

BSG "Experts" - Hard though it might be to believe, a bunch of people willing to spend several hours a week doing an unpaid computer game design job just so that they can play a BSG game might actually be big fans of the show. :p Unless you actually worked on the show or have planted a listening bug in RDM's fillings you probably don't know the show any better than we do. If we ever do come up with an issue we can't answer we'll post it on the forums for you to have a go but we don't need someone permanently on staff just for that function.

Beta-Testers - Nice try but no, you can't have the game early in return for playing it through a couple of times and then posting a couple of comments. :p Beta-testing requires us finding people willing to play the game until they are completely sick of it and as such will be carried out in-house or by invitation only.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 08:12:07 am by karajorma »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Re: Joining The Diaspora Team
Voice acting.
* Colonol Dekker is up for it.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline captain-custard

• previously known as andicirk
  • one sandwich short of a picnic
im up for some voice acting and sound effects,
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Samples andicirk! :p

And as I said we're not currently looking for voice actors. We will be later but I don't want to gum up the recruitment thread with a post every five minutes from someone who wants to voice act. :D

As for the code, nothing particularly new at the moment but there are a few things we'll need for BSG style tube launches and combat landings and a few other things that are only in builds that Wanderer or myself have.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 05:23:42 pm by karajorma »

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Put me down for one mission :) if you want a sample just give up a design brief. /me is asleep in 2 mins.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
If at some point you need a mission tester/debugger I'm pretty good at breaking things.  I'm not talking about just playing the missions but opening them up in FRED and doing a full analysis for anything that could go wrong as well as providing solutions, spell checking, etc.   Also good at figuring out how to do things in FRED but with Kara on the team that would be redundant.   

Disclaimer:  I may actually break more thing then I fix.   :pimp:
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Adalla

• So Say We All!
    • Adalla Productions
3D animators - For creating rendered cutscenes for the game. Examples of previous work will be required and must demonstrate the ability to render space scenes similar in quality to the show.

I do not claim to be an expert, or even experienced. BSG-based CG animation IS one of the biggest passions in my spare time however. I am teaching myself animation, lighting and compositing in an attemp to learn how to reproduce BSG-like VFX shots. Ultimate aim is to provide free VFX and Animation services to fan projects, such as this one. I am far from being proficient at it though and far from experienced.

I have founded Kobol Studios, and have worked on a 12 second animation and done some compositing also. I am currently working on a BSG CG Animation short film that will last 5 minutes, with animation shots designed to match Bear McCreary's music.

You can visit Kobol Studios for samples of my finished work (not much to show for now).

And you can visit my WIP threads for test renders of the project I'm working on now.

BSG Pilots WIP Thread
SFM WIP Thread

If you need me to work on a shot/animation someday let me know. My skills are improving, so you might want to wait a while until my skills improve to the standards you might desire for Diaspora :P

Either way, keep an eye on Kobol Studios and my WIP threads, if you want me to reproduce that kindo of work for you, just contact me.

Here are a few test renders of the animation project I'm working on. They are all low poly models, and these are meant to be shots in a fast paced animation...so keep that in mind :P
Oh...and I work in LightWave...

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Dekker, feel free to make a sample mission in FS2 or better yet TBP.

FUBAR, you're already on the list of people I'll call for just that reason. The only reason I haven't asked you already is cause I promised IP I wouldn't steal away his entire TBP staff just when they were all being so productive. :D

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Oh I'm still going to work on TBP and FS2 multiplayer stuff.  Just about everything I'm currently working on is on hold due to bugs or needing a 3.6.10 build that's compatible (Hint hint).    :D
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
He FUBAR, be careful not to take part in too many projects, it eats up your free time  :).
(and no I am currently not volunteering to join the team).

Good luck with Diaspora guys  :).
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline shiv

• Don't forget Poland!
  • FRED me!
    • http://freespace.pl
Hey... I love your 3d renderers, Adalla. :yes:
I hope Karajorma will accept your team-join request :)
http://www.sectorgame.com/vega
The Apocalypse Vega - Join the battle! A campaign for FreeSpace 2 Open

http://www.game-warden.com/earthdefence
Earth Defense project - Coming soon...

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
I was eyeing the scriptwriter post but I guess school plays don't count.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Hey... I love your 3d renderers, Adalla. :yes:
I hope Karajorma will accept your team-join request :)

I have all the art criticism skills of a tone deaf mole so I'll be leaving hiring of all artists to the members of the team who actually have skill in that area.

Offline Adalla

• So Say We All!
    • Adalla Productions
I dont think I am ready yet to join a team of the caliber of Diaspora just yet, but I am improving and I do have the passion and desire to produce great BSG shots, so perhaps one day :) I just wanted the Diaspora Dev team to be aware of my work that's all.

To stay tuned for "A Great Sadness" though, I think it'll be a nice little BSG animation.

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773
I'll hop on board if you need one more person who can model slightly decently, yet still can't texture. :p
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.

Offline Meleardil

• Meleardil Eressea Iluvadan
I already invited you, and would be glad to see you around. You are welcome.
"I think it is impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves."
Speaker for the Dead

Offline Scotchy

• polyonymous
Can I join? I build stuff... occasionally. 8)

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
Damn Scotchy, we've missed you :)

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Can I join? I build stuff... occasionally. 8)

I've emailed you in about 3-4 different ways asking you if you wanted to join cause I never got a definite answer last time. :D

Of course you're in Scotchy.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 03:48:25 am by karajorma »

Offline Meleardil

• Meleardil Eressea Iluvadan
Oh! Dear Scotchy!!

We were trying to contact you in the last 4 months. You abandoned us, we never forget you. Of course you are in if you are willing to! How can you even ask such a thing?

Welcome! And join to the board as soon as you can. I would like to talk to you very much!
"I think it is impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves."
Speaker for the Dead