Author Topic: Physically-Based Rendering Guide for Freespace Open  (Read 19869 times)

Re: Physically-Based Rendering Guide for Freespace Open
We have already have AO maps which channel pack Ambient Occlusion and Cavity Occlusion. With respect to emissive, we either already have that with glow maps, or you're talking about a feature that would be very out of place performance-wise in FSO at the moment. We're most likely not going to move to a Metalness workflow as the Specular workflow is already established and changing it now would throw modders into even more of a tailspin.

Opps nevermind.. forgot about glow,  btw can you overdrive glow?  That would give you some bloom effects.

Good we have AO.. my checklist is getting filled up :-)

How does Specular compare to Metal?
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft
Opps nevermind.. forgot about glow,  btw can you overdrive glow?  That would give you some bloom effects.

We have HDR Bloom now. If you make the glow bright enough, it will practically blind the player at times.

Specular works just as well as Metalness. It also makes more sense in terms of currently made assets for FSO. Specular should also exist in any tool that supports metalness, since it's possibly to convert between them using special filtering techniques on the diffuse and spec/metal map.

I know you use Substance Painter, but I've been using Quixel Suite 2, which natively supports over 15 different workflows. The only metalness workflows it supports are for UE4, Unity 5, and Arnold. It supports far more Specular workflows and Producer specific GGX workflows (Disney GGX for example). The default Specular PBR has extremely similar results in Quixel Suite's native renderer 3Do and FSO, so that is my preferred workflow thus far.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 05:20:04 pm by DahBlount »
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

We have HDR Bloom now. If you make the glow bright enough, it will practically blind the player at times.

Specular works just as well as Metalness. It also makes more sense in terms of currently made assets for FSO. Specular should also exist in any tool that supports metalness, since it's possibly to convert between them using special filtering techniques on the diffuse and spec/metal map.

I know you use Substance Painter, but I've been using Quixel Suite 2, which natively supports over 15 different workflows. The only metalness workflows it supports are for UE4, Unity 5, and Arnold. It supports far more Specular workflows and Producer specific GGX workflows (Disney GGX for example). The default Specular PBR has extremely similar results in Quixel Suite's native renderer 3Do and FSO, so that is my preferred workflow thus far.

Second pic is exactly what I was looking for.  How is that done?  In Unreal you just overamp the RGB values (i.e. instead of going from 0-1 you can go to 2 or higher)

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft
Just make the color of your texture bright enough. We don't really have the ability to do math on textures nor do we have a UE4 style material system, so you'll have to adjust the actual texture.
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
One of the things I've always found entertaining  (although admirable) on HLP:

Hehe....

well since Star Citizen's forum has basically gone pay, I'm kinda returning to my roots LOL

Just make the color of your texture bright enough. We don't really have the ability to do math on textures nor do we have a UE4 style material system, so you'll have to adjust the actual texture.
Ok that's easy enough. I just want to make sure I'm not painting myself into a corner, although with the lack of uv channels I kinda am, but things will get figured out.