Poll

Do you turn off Motion Debris in the launcher?

YES. It's ugly and unnecessary.
NO. I have a need for speed.
Dunno/don't care. Snuffleupagus.

Author Topic: Motion Debris Redux  (Read 5675 times)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Motion Debris Redux
I am gonna necro the HELL outta this thread.

Code: [Select]
------------------------------------------------------------------------
r6280 | Goober5000 | 2010-07-05 00:41:57 -0500 (Mon, 05 Jul 2010) | 1 line
Changed paths:
   M /trunk/fs2_open/code/starfield/starfield.cpp

use motion debris in asteroid fields, per Galemp
------------------------------------------------------------------------

It sounds like a cool feature, but Axem and I have noticed a few issues this might lead to.

It'd be present in missions even when you're not in the asteroid field. There were missions (back before skyboxes were possible) which used an asteroid field to imitate a planet's rings... Also, it seems like it'll show up in missions that have debris fields (rather than asteroid fields), and in nebula missions... consider the Terran debris field from the mission with the NTC Trinity.

Also, there's the issue of it not having any noticeable effect if the player hasn't already disabled motion debris. And possibly ticking them off if they disabled it.

If the motion debris were only enabled when you're within the asteroid field (preferably without appearing/disappearing suddenly), that might be acceptable. Perhaps an entry in asteroids.tbl (IIRC that's the one that defines field types/models/textures), "$Default motion debris:" or somesuch, which controls what sort of motion debris to use within that sort of field, but which could be overridden via FRED? If necessary, an additional entry, "$Nebula motion debris:" to modify the behavior for nebula missions... might be useful.

So when introducing my stepdaughter to FSO yesterday and updating my installation after many years, I noticed this feature I requested went away a long time ago.  :sigh: What can we do to get it back?

Aardwolf has some good ideas. Gradually increasing motion debris density as you enter the asteroid field boundary would alleviate the problem of having motion debris with fields in the distance as scenery, or the Trinity problem. The additional entries in asteroids.tbl would also give modders maximum flexibility; having paint chips or loose screws would be a very nice touch in debris fields.

There's also the potential to use this function for other effects, perhaps on a per-mission basis; I can imagine using the nebula motion debris as 'ionized particles' in a mission like Silent Threat's Cloak and Dagger, or FS2's As Lightning Fall. Dream sequences could have twinkling stars.

Finally: How does everyone feel about having them turned OFF by default?
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Re: Motion Debris Redux
I'm all for off by default, but then, it is a change to what (unfortunately) is kind of a core thing about the retail experience.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Finally: How does everyone feel about having them turned OFF by default?
Plzno.
I can't stand having motion debris off, it kills all feeling of speed and makes me feel like I'm standing still in space.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Yup, I didn't think everyone would be down with that.  I'm sure many feel the same, that it's a very important tool for the ambience of being in space.  If we could figure out how to update it a bit so they don't look like blurry eye squiggles, that would probably be awesome.  I might even consider turning it back on.  Right now they just look so dated alongside the pretty updates the engine has received over the years.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I like the idea of "$Default motion debris:" and "$Nebula motion debris:", although I haven't looked at the relevant code to see how easy/difficult they'd be to implement.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
If we could figure out how to update it a bit so they don't look like blurry eye squiggles, that would probably be awesome.

This.  I've tried turning them off because they look really bad, but as Spoon pointed out you really lose any sense of speed, so I grit my teeth and generally keep them on. I suppose that making them tiny 3D objects would kill performance (although... if they're no-collide it could be OK since collision detection is the biggest bottleneck?) so we'd need some decent new 2D art, and maybe a check to ensure that it doesn't get scaled up on larger resolutions and start looking horrid again?
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Actually, what about just not upscaling the current art at higher resolutions?

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
I'd certainly like to see how well motion debris consisting of singular pixels would work. With the typical high resolutions of today it might look just fine.  I've always thought it slightly surprising that a '99 game actually did choose to use tiny bitmaps for it.

What is completely atrocious though is how the debris clips into the camera instead of gracefully sliding off to the sides when it passes you. No matter how pretty the particles themselves are, that problem more or less ruins the effect for me.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
The last couple of suggestions could possibly be very small tweaks to the code, anyone interested in checking that out?

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
I turn them off because they look atrocious too. Haven't played retail vanilla in a long time, and I didn't realize they were on by default.

There's one (terrible) game that got motion debris right, and it's called Battlestar Galactica Online. Just for reference.

Single pixels would suffer from aliasing, I suspect.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Actually I just meant the not upscaling the size, and fixing the clipping.  I agree, I'm not sure single pixel would play nicely, or have much variation to them.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Are the motion debris bitmaps moddable? I remember trying to figure out if I could replace the bitmaps and failed. If they aren't, you could at least open them up to modders so we can customize them (and perhaps make nicer looking ones).
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Swifty

• I reject your fantasy & substitute my own
I'll take a gander at the motion debris code and see if I can do anything.

Offline Yarn

Actually, what about just not upscaling the current art at higher resolutions?
Bad idea, because some people play at very high resolutions like 3840x2160, and the debris would be very tiny for them.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Bad idea, because some people play at very high resolutions like 3840x2160, and the debris would be very tiny for them.

...So what? The effect would still be the same: a relative speed indicator.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Yeah, tiny motion debris at high resolutions does not sound like a bad idea to me, either.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I turn it off, would consider turning on if it was better.. Right now, it's out of place. Where you are in the middle of space should be no motion debris. In an asteroid field, or the aftermath of a space battle, sure.

Plus, it needs updating.

Plus, IIRC, the direction always shows as coming  straight at you even if you are being knocked sideways.. Completely ruins immersion when that happens.

Even when there is more debris, you would expect it to be more random I would think. Not all a uniform density.

Offline Yarn

...So what? The effect would still be the same: a relative speed indicator.
The debris pieces are basically small objects that exist in the game world (even if they're treated very differently from other objects). Thus, like ships and weapons, their apparent size shouldn't depend on screen resolution. Besides, you need to scale them anyway so that they enlarge as they move toward the player (which is what the game does now) rather than "pop" into view.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline Swifty

• I reject your fantasy & substitute my own
So after looking at the code, it looks like there's no explicit scaling or anything that's going on with motion debris sprites. What you guys are perceiving as scaling is merely points being transformed and projected from 3D to 2D space. It's why a given particle billboard on a 1280x720 screen will take up the same ratio of screen real estate on a 1920x1080 screen.

Motion debris particles are about 0.12 units wide in the environment. This value comes from a constant called BASE_SIZE in starfield.cpp. We use a g3_draw_laser to draw them. That's about all there is to it. I thought this was going to be more complicated but it's actually really simple. I thought I was going to simplify some code and remove some unecessary scaling but it looks like this is being done by simple projection transforms which quite typical for anything drawn in 3D. I have no interest in complicating this code but someone else is welcome to address the concerns in this thread now.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 11:23:59 pm by Swifty »