Author Topic: Project File Removal  (Read 2237 times)

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
We have several project files for IDEs that are no longer supported, as well as several that I suspect no one needs anymore.  I would like to get rid of MSVC_6, MSVC_2005, MSVC_2008, and Xcode.  We could then rename Xcode4 to Xcode since it's not really for Xcode4 now anyway.  Also, since we only keep MSVC_2010 around for those still compiling on XP, and 2015 has a free edition that can compile, I would like to remove MSVC_2012 and MSVC_2013 as well.  If anyone is still using those because they have a paid copy of that IDE and don't want to lose functionality, I'm fine keeping them around, but I thought I would at least ask and see if anyone would miss them now.  That way we would be removing more projects than we would be left with.  We _might_ consider keeping MSVC_6 just because it's the one that started it all, and there might be bits to reference for the cmake implementation, but I think we could live without it since it would still be in the history.

So, anyone care if I submitted a PR to remove all of those?
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
Could we hold onto MSVC_2013 for a little longer? That's what I'm using for my SquadWar work. It's tricky because there are external dependencies that for now have to be compiled separately (namely, jansson and curl). I can upgrade to 2015 after that feature is done.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
No problem, just wanted to make sure someone was using it and it wasn't just being needlessly maintained.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I'm still using MSVC 2013 too.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
The differences between the 2013 and the 2015 projects are very few (IIRC, it might just be the toolkit version), to the point where a diff of your 2013 project files can probably be applied directly to the 2015 project files.

That being said, since they are so similar and changes should be easy enough to port from one to the other, we also don't need to rush to get rid of the 2013 folder, either; as far as I know, builds made with 2013 and 2015 should have basically identical capabilities.

Just, you know, if everyone happens to upgrade to 2015 before CMake becomes the primary means of generating project files, then we can get rid of the 2013 folder. If not... shouldn't really be a big deal.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Echelon9

As one of the OS X developers, I would support removal of the (legacy) "Xcode" project files; and then renaming "Xcode4" to "Xcode" as the canonical project file version going forward.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Considering there are C++11 features in the code now, I have no objection to removing the pre-C++11 projects, but we should keep all of the ones that people still maintain, just as before.

Add me to the list of people using 2013.  (And, on occasion, 2010.  2012 is rubbish though.)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Just, you know, if everyone happens to upgrade to 2015 before CMake becomes the primary means of generating project files, then we can get rid of the 2013 folder.

Well unless I can get a version for free that is capable of profiling, I don't particularly want to give that up. I remember one spectacular occasion where I sped the game up by around 10% after finding a bug and I don't want to lose the ability to do that.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Yeah I figured there'd be some devs with copies that could do profiling.  Still, sounds like anyone doing that is using 2013, so 2012 might be safe to go.  Getting rid of 5 would still be awesome.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Submitted a PR to prune MSVC 6, 2005, 2008, 2012, and Xcode, and rename Xcode4 to Xcode.  If you're gonna miss MSVC 2012 I'd speak up now, no one else has yet.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
PR 519 merged.