Author Topic: Multiple monitors  (Read 6396 times)

Offline Ferret

• A very hungry Fiona.
the first thing I'm going to try is to play Fate of Atlantis through the Basilisk II mac emulator.
What's wrong with ScummVM?

Offline CaptJosh

Maybe he wants the nostalgia of playing the game via its original intended OS. Or the to hear that "bong!" sound again.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
It's actually the music quality. The music in the Mac version is far better than what you get in the DOS version and in ScummVM.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
That game's graphics are decent, but there are better looking games that have been out for a while already, and the fact that AA cannot be used doesn't help.
there are? :wtf:

like what? i didnt see a decent space sim since tachyon the fringe and it was rather... well, blahhhh....
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I was actually referring to GRAW there, not FSO. As far as space sims go FSO with all the media packs is easily the best I've seen, although people say X3 also looks very good (I haven't played it).

X3 is &)!(*&!ing amazing, but it's riddled with bugs and runs slow as all hell.

Offline Ferret

• A very hungry Fiona.
The gameplay is as slow as a turtle without legs anyway.

... And I like The Settlers.

Offline Ferret

• A very hungry Fiona.
One of my monitors just exploded. :lol:
Looks like this isn't an issue for me for a while. T_T

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
:necro:

I assume there haven't been any features or plans to implement dual-monitor support, but since I haven't been keeping up with the code developments I thought I'd ask.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft
Multi-monitor support has been in for awhile. I remember seeing someone play Diaspora in 5760x1080 at one point in the past two years or so.
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Offline coffeesoft

• Bip Bip

I have played with two and three monitors without problems, the HUD  fits perfectly on screen and the main menu, and interface, are not streched.
If I remember well this was added in the latest versions.

I simply use flag option on Launcher " -res 5760x1200 " or " -res 3840x1200 "
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 07:07:02 pm by coffeesoft »

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Sounds great if you're using a 3-up display with one giant desktop, but it's clearly not feasible for dual-monitor displays. I'm assuming there's no option for a target view on the second monitor, or a rear view, or anything like that.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Sounds great if you're using a 3-up display with one giant desktop, but it's clearly not feasible for dual-monitor displays. I'm assuming there's no option for a target view on the second monitor, or a rear view, or anything like that.
AFAIK, there's no support for rendering two different views simultaneously (this would be the kind of thing that would also allow VR support).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline coffeesoft

• Bip Bip

The only way I got to use a second monitor as a display info, It was using the script of PoDo.

Is a amazing script but you need a second PC, sorry i don´t have any photo to show you right now.

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=84132.0

Happy new year to all the community  :D

Offline m!m

AFAIK, there's no support for rendering two different views simultaneously (this would be the kind of thing that would also allow VR support).
With Lua you can render a second view to a texture and then draw that onto the screen (although that can cause some problems). To fully implement proper multi-monitor support we need better window handling to give lua control over where the windows are placed and what is rendered to them.