Author Topic: 4K-capable users, I want your assistance!  (Read 3639 times)

Offline Yarn

4K-capable users, I want your assistance!
As shown in this thread, a user on this forum recently found that targeting brackets don't work properly in Blue Planet 2 if the resolution is 3840x2160. As I worked with him, we later determined that the problem is not specific to BP2 and that it occurs whenever a custom HUD configuration (one starting with "#Gauge Config") is utilized and scaling isn't disabled, even if no gauges are defined!

To help me determine whether the problem happens to anyone other than leoben, I want someone who's able to run FSO at 3840x2160 resolution to go to the following Mantis ticket and follow the instructions in the "Steps To Reproduce" section using the latest nightly build:

http://scp.indiegames.us/mantis/view.php?id=3155

You may report your results either here or in the ticket.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Re: 4K-capable users, I want your assistance!
I would like to add some more details about the 4K rendering so you can get more feedback.

The 4K is available within Downsampling for people which have most recent GPU and most recent driver (specially for AMD).
nVidia GPU have DSR (Dynamic Super Resolution), that allow the GPU to have a 4K rendering on any monitor. This features is only available on Kepler and Maxwell familly (GTX 5x0, GTX 6x0, GTX 7x0 and GTX 9x0).

For AMD user, this feature is called VSR (Virtual Super Resolution). However, it is available on certain recent GPU.

Back to the topic, I didn't try the nightly yet, but the targeting brackets work well for some minutes and then, it has moved on the upper left on the screen.
I will give you more feedback later this day.

For those passing by, this is reproducible using downsampled resolutions with Nvidia DSR (I presume other such downsampling methods would work as well). Give it ~4-5 minutes. Not sure if flying around helps make it go sideways.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Nvidia Adds DSR Support For Older GPUs In New Driver

I had to look up what the difference was between GS, GT, GTX, found the answer here.

Anywho, this seems to mean those with recent drivers can enable DSR on their older cards (like mine is a GT540):

nVidia drivers page for their Game Ready Driver  (EDIT: changed to newer link {347.52 Game Ready driver instead of 344.48})

New in GeForce Game Ready Drivers

The new GeForce Game Ready driver, release 344.48 WHQL, allows GeForce owners to continue to have the ultimate gaming experience. This driver brings support for Dynamic Super Resolution (DSR) to Kepler and Fermi desktop GPUs. In addition, this Game Ready WHQL driver ensures you'll have the best possible gaming experience for the latest new blockbuster titles including Lords of the Fallen, Civilization: Beyond Earth, and Elite: Dangerous.

Game Ready
Best gaming experience for Lords of the Fallen, Civilization: Beyond Earth, and Elite: Dangerous

Gaming Technology
Supports Dynamic Super Resolution (DSR) on Kepler and Fermi-based desktop GPUs

Supported Products

GeForce 900 Series
GeForce GTX 980, GeForce GTX 970
GeForce 700 Series
GeForce GTX TITAN Z, GeForce GTX TITAN Black, GeForce GTX TITAN, GeForce GTX 780 Ti, GeForce GTX 780, GeForce GTX 770, GeForce GTX 760, GeForce GTX 760 Ti (OEM), GeForce GTX 750 Ti, GeForce GTX 750, GeForce GTX 745, GeForce GT 740, GeForce GT 730, GeForce GT 720
GeForce 600 Series
GeForce GTX 690, GeForce GTX 680, GeForce GTX 670, GeForce GTX 660 Ti, GeForce GTX 660, GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST, GeForce GTX 650 Ti, GeForce GTX 650, GeForce GTX 645, GeForce GT 645, GeForce GT 640, GeForce GT 630, GeForce GT 620, GeForce GT 610, GeForce 605
GeForce 500 Series
GeForce GTX 590, GeForce GTX 580, GeForce GTX 570, GeForce GTX 560 Ti, GeForce GTX 560 SE, GeForce GTX 560, GeForce GTX 555, GeForce GTX 550 Ti, GeForce GT 545, GeForce GT 530, GeForce GT 520, GeForce 510
GeForce 400 Series
GeForce GTX 480, GeForce GTX 470, GeForce GTX 465, GeForce GTX 460 SE v2, GeForce GTX 460 SE, GeForce GTX 460, GeForce GTS 450, GeForce GT 440, GeForce GT 430, GeForce GT 420
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 05:50:35 pm by jr2 »

I don't mean to bring back an old thread, but for some reason Mantis won't send me a registration email.

I just encountered this bug on the 3.7.3 20151002 SSE2 nightly and FS2 with MediaVPs 2014. Running 3840x2160 fullscreen using Nvidia DSR on Windows 10 x64. I'm not using any sort of custom HUD, just "$Scale Gauges: yes" by itself. This is on a totally fresh install, nothing but MediaVPs and FSPort installed.

The brackets are there immediately at the start of a mission, but as soon as an enemy moves offscreen and then back into frame they are gone along with the lead indicator and anything else.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I don't mean to bring back an old thread, but for some reason Mantis won't send me a registration email.

This has happened in the past, but it hasn't been a regular problem for years.  Hopefully it's a one-off and not something more subtle.  In the meantime, I just looked at Mantis and your account is enabled.  If you provided a password when you registered, can you try logging in?  If not, I can hit the Re-send Email button.

It didn't give me an option to enter a password, just a username and email. No verification email in my inbox or spam.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
K, I tried re-sending the email.