Author Topic: 64-bit?  (Read 6047 times)

Offline ChaosUnlimited

• old games new people bring it.
is there anyway to get this engine to run in 64bit instead of 32bit since we have the source code or would  that require to much work? also is there any news on directx support for the game/engine would love to see freespace in dx12 if possible.
PC Specs
AMD-FX 6100 six core 3.3Ghz
EVGA 660 SC 2Gb gddr5
16Gb RAM 1600Mhz
750W PSU
total cost $580

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I believe the engine does compile for 64bit already.  However, there are no discernible gains that I'm aware of from running 64bit so we haven't been bothering to build 64bit alongside our existing 32bit is the way I understand it.

DirectX would only benefit Windows users, and we are currently still trying to simplify our graphics pipeline rather than complicate it further, so I doubt we will see any DX implementation.  You probably wouldn't see much difference anyway as we would probably need to upgrade assets to take advantage of DX12 features.  It is also fairly likely that OpenGL will catch up to DX12 and those features will be available eventually anyway.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline m!m

Compiling for 64 bit is possible (for Windows), I compiled such a build some time ago and it worked quite well but we don't have a need for more memory so it's not a priority (Linux builds also have been 64-bit capable for quite some time and it runs pretty stable).

DirectX will never happen because it's a MS API which is not available on other platforms. Once the Vulkan (the cross platform alternative to DX12) specification has been released I would like to take a look at adding a graphics backend for that API but that will probably require a lot of work.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
You mean to say that FSO doesn't need access to all of my 32GB of RAM? :p
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline ChaosUnlimited

ahh ok so i was wondering since i thought i could make even bigger battles with the large ships it running in 64-bit instead of 32-bit or do like massive carrier battle with carriers spawning in like 20-30 fighters per carrier (including bomber wings) no i havnt played with fred much i just initially thought it wassnt possible with 32bit in this 1999 engine.

how would i go about compiling it to 64bit when i tried i got over 800 errors ( i just wanna see how many big ships i can get in with 64-bit vs 32-bit)

and i know directx is a windows thing i just  thought that maybe by now both opengl and directx would be in the engine

what about vulkan(when it comes out) it looks like its as powerful as dx12

i ask this because while the game is awesome to play and still has decent graphics (with media_vp or whatever their called can't recall of the top of my head) i just thought mybe an all out hd remake with like 2014  graphics and effects would be a neat thing and i think the game deservers a remaster kinda like homeworld 2 got. (again not saying it looks bad just  on my end it still looks 2004ish mybe 2006.

is there a mod that adds cockpits to all the default ships thats really my only real issue with  the game

i  was interested in all this since i just started taking CPA in college (computer programming anaylst) i have love everything so far though we have only done basic java. so no i don't know much but i'm learning start c++ next semester
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 11:55:22 am by ChaosUnlimited »
PC Specs
EVGA 660 SC 2Gb gddr5
16Gb RAM 1600Mhz
750W PSU
total cost $580

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I really don't think 64-bit is going to help with any of the technical bottlenecks related to making large battle missions.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline ChaosUnlimited

why not? 64-bit allows more ram each ships uses x amount of ram 32-bit limit is 3.5gigs  (i know that limitation at least) the only thing i'm running out of when program would crash is ram and i have 8 gigs my vram has not even gone up to 1 gig yet and i have 2 gigs of that  though i might be wrong on something maybe just the engine itsself is crashing i dunno i'm just starting on learning fundamental programming in java lol next semester is c++ though.

This community as far as i know started in 2002 i could be wrong as i  have only been following since last month.  when the source code came out for the engine (not the game right?).
 I could be wrong as i  have only been following since last month. just made my account to ask questions finally since i started taking a programming course

and i have been just curious on why old hardware is only really supported. (as in there is nothing for the game that would make say a  9800gt  have troubles with the game. over 10 year old video card( i think) probably pick one up for $20 probably cheaper. is there no way to say have extra settings that (like low-ultra -med-ultra or high-ultra) for people with what is considered today low-mid range computers. or is opengl just that bad?

sorry if this sounds like i'm complaining or anything i just want to understand and i'm horrible at typing out how i want to say.
also sorry for how long my post are i should learn how to make these not so long.

i want to become an active member of  this community. ( i might even learn how to make my own mods but i think that will have to wait till i have free time to learn how this engine/game works more.)

and i jsut read the rest of the others posts he said he was gonna look at vulkan my bad didn't read all the way.

this is in c++ right or is it c or c#?

computer specs
amd 6100 fx six core
8 gigs ddr3 1600mhz
evga 660 superclocked (worst buy of my life)
500gb HDD 5600rpm currently failing can hear loud ticking from drive (OS drive)
1TB HDD 7200prm (data drive should swap this to OS drive)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 01:43:59 pm by ChaosUnlimited »
PC Specs
EVGA 660 SC 2Gb gddr5
16Gb RAM 1600Mhz
750W PSU
total cost $580

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
why not? 64-bit allows more ram each ships uses x amount of ram 32-bit limit is 3.5gigs  (i know that limitation at least) the only thing i'm running out of when program would crash is ram and i have 8 gigs my vram has not even gone up to 1 gig yet and i have 2 gigs of that  though i might be wrong on something maybe just the engine itsself is crashing i dunno i'm just starting on learning fundamental programming in java lol next semester is c++ though.

Even in the largest missions in FSO to date, memory use rarely climbs above 2 GB. Most of that memory goes to art assets, texture maps and models; only a minuscule portion is used for actual gameplay data. I am not saying it's impossible for someone, somewhere managing to make a mission that requires more than 3.5GB, but so far, noone has even come close.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline ChaosUnlimited

Even in the largest missions in FSO to date, memory use rarely climbs above 2 GB. Most of that memory goes to art assets, texture maps and models; only a minuscule portion is used for actual gameplay data. I am not saying it's impossible for someone, somewhere managing to make a mission that requires more than 3.5GB, but so far, noone has even come close.

ok take away missions then.( not really as they are important) but wouldn't 64-bit allow better texture maps and models? and art assets i just get the feeling that all these things could be better. ( i think i mentioned them above might not have i know i mentioned effects)

not saying make the textures 4k. but add more detail in the model its self or something don't get me wrong the visuals from the normal 1999 version to the 2014 media's look good (espicailly the glass over the cockpits) ibut like i said i just get the feeling they could be better now espiacilly since there should be n (hardware wise for the game) ( unless someone goes way overboard) woudn't 64-bit allow for all this to be better then it is now?

again i could be wrong as i barely know what i'm talking about or i'm just one of them people who thinks to much i dunno.

asking again anybody know if there are any mods for cockpits on all ships that you fly in the campaing
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 02:10:32 pm by ChaosUnlimited »
PC Specs
EVGA 660 SC 2Gb gddr5
16Gb RAM 1600Mhz
750W PSU
total cost $580

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
ok take away missions then.( not really as they are important) but wouldn't 64-bit allow better texture maps and models? and art assets i just get the feeling that all these things could be better. ( i think i mentioned them above might not have i know i mentioned effects)

not saying make the textures 4k. but add more detail in the model its self or something don't get me wrong the visuals from the normal 1999 version to the 2014 media's look good (espicailly the glass over the cockpits) ibut like i said i just get the feeling they could be better now espiacilly since there should be n (hardware wise for the game) ( unless someone goes way overboard) woudn't 64-bit allow for all this to be better then it is now?

There is nothing in the engine that we can do to make models better in terms of their textures and geometry. That's always going to be the domain of the modellers and texturers.

And again, this is not something 64-bit compatibility or DirectX 12 helps with.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Now step back a second though.  The 3.5GB limit is the limit 32bit Windows itself can let all running applications and itself access.  That doesn't really have anything to do with the limit for a given 32bit process on 64bit Windows.  I was thinking that might be 4GB, but found some interesting articles after a quick google search.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/639540/how-much-memory-can-a-32-bit-process-access-on-a-64-bit-operating-system
http://www.viva64.com/en/k/0036/

Now I am starting to wonder if the fact that we are hitting 2GB means we _are_hitting the current memory limit already, and need to adjust some things to allow a higher ceiling within the 32bit realm?  I hadn't heard of this /LARGEADDRESSAWARE switch before, and it's not in our codebase.

What we're getting at though, is we will probably not look at moving to 64bit until the assets are clearly hitting the memory ceiling of the 32bit binary.  Then such a move might be worthwhile.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3109543/what-to-do-to-make-application-large-address-aware  has some tips on what to do with the code before enabling that switch.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 02:26:10 pm by chief1983 »
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
We could enable LAA, sure.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Not sure it's safe to  just enable that, I just edited my last post with another link after you responded.

Offline ChaosUnlimited

ok i can understand that.

ill just reading the source code while i learn to see if i can ever understand it at least a little bit (most likely not this year maybe next year)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 03:27:12 pm by ChaosUnlimited »
PC Specs
EVGA 660 SC 2Gb gddr5
16Gb RAM 1600Mhz
750W PSU
total cost $580

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Here's another good SO page on how to go about enabling the flag and some of the repercussions.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2288728/drawbacks-of-using-largeaddressaware-for-32-bit-windows-executables

In short, if we enable it, we should test a build with a TopDown AllocationPreference on 64bit Windows, as any issues we have with pointers in our memory should crop up immediately.  If they are in our code we can fix them, if they are in third party DLLs we just can't safely enable LAA without somehow getting those rectified.

Lots of other good insight on why 32bit apps are normally limited to a 2GB virtual address space too.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
While we're on the subject of compiling FSO to make use of CPU improvements, I'll bring up the one subject that often follows suggestion for 64-bit compiling... support for multi-core processor support.  I don't recall all of the arguments, but I expect that compiling FSO to take advantage of multi-core CPUs is something far less trivial than 64-bit compiling.  The usual conclusion is that the best thing you can do at this point, is use Windows' Processor Affinity options to slave the game to run on a specific core.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Actually I think we _stopped_ doing that because it was causing some other issue.

Offline ChaosUnlimited

Actually I think we _stopped_ doing that because it was causing some other issue.

were the issues fixable but just not worth it? or just not fixable
PC Specs
EVGA 660 SC 2Gb gddr5
16Gb RAM 1600Mhz
750W PSU
total cost $580

Offline Echelon9

Hello ChaosUnlimited,

Great to see you have an interest in the technical features of the FS2Open engine.

The best way to learn is by building and reviewing the source code, and for this engine all of that is publicly available.

A couple of your points have been responded to above, but thought I'd also add:

* 64bit: We already build 64bit executables on OS X and Linux, so there's no fundamental technical issue.

* DirectX: The engine actually used to be DirectX only when released by Volition. As part of our team's work to provide cross platform support, an OpenGL renderer was added. In the interests of maintainability, the DirectX renderer was subsequently dropped as it add too much complexity.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
While we're on the subject of compiling FSO to make use of CPU improvements, I'll bring up the one subject that often follows suggestion for 64-bit compiling... support for multi-core processor support.  I don't recall all of the arguments, but I expect that compiling FSO to take advantage of multi-core CPUs is something far less trivial than 64-bit compiling.  The usual conclusion is that the best thing you can do at this point, is use Windows' Processor Affinity options to slave the game to run on a specific core.

If you start the exe with -set_cpu_affinity, it will start on the Processor defined in the ProcessorAffinity registry key.

were the issues fixable but just not worth it? or just not fixable

Not worth it, really. It turns out that the OS usually has a better idea which processors are free than we do.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 01:29:01 am by The E »