Author Topic: RELEASE: 3.6.12 Release Candidate 3 (RC3)  (Read 21552 times)

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Re: RELEASE: 3.6.12 Release Candidate 3 (RC3)
If we could make a unified build, that would be awesome.  But I don't know who on the staff knows enough to set that up.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
Wouldn't it just require using cpuid to determine available features and later picking the right code paths?

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
What code paths?  We don't code-level optimizations, we only have compiler-level.  Can you set it up to compile in all code paths and pick the right one at the compiler level?
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
Write some! :p

Including multiple differently compiled versions in a binary sounds unlikely. I wonder if something could be done with a few differently compiled shared libraries though.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
What code paths?  We don't code-level optimizations, we only have compiler-level.  Can you set it up to compile in all code paths and pick the right one at the compiler level?
Not practical unless the optimizations are only applied to a very small section of the code.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Why is FRED 3.6.12 RC1 masked as 3.6.12 RC3's? Nothing's changed since the first release candidate?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Why is FRED 3.6.12 RC1 masked as 3.6.12 RC3's? Nothing's changed since the first release candidate?

If I parsed your grammar correctly you're asking why the 3.6.12 RC3 FRED says it's RC1?

Already answered, it's just a mistake.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/processormfg/

AMD has roughly 30% market share and is common in OEM computers too. More common than your comment gives credit for.

30% of STEAM users does not equal 30% market share. Also it can be argued that a disproportionately large number of STEAM users are enthusiasts as I mentioned above.

Quote from: http://www.eweek.com/c/a/IT-Infrastructure/AMD-Market-Share-Inches-Up-But-Intel-Still-Dominates-584542/
In a report issued March 31, iSuppli said AMD saw its market share in microprocessor revenue grow to 12.1 percent, a jump of 1.6 percentage points over the same period in 2008 and a .28 percentage point increase over its market share in the third quarter 2009.

Dude -  I am not trying to rag on AMD at all! The only Intel Inside machines in my house are an IBM Thinkpad A31 I rescued from a dumpster and an old Pentium II-350 for old Windows '9x games. I have 4 AMD machines, one of which is even a Toshiba laptop. OEM AMD builds * tend * to be laptops, and they * tend * to come with crappy integrated graphics (though WAY less crappy then integrated Intel graphics). It is pretty difficult to get mobile AMD CPUs with high-end mobile discrete graphics in laptops.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 10:56:01 pm by mvmiller12 »

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
30% of steam users is far closer than real market share to FSO current target audience.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Couldn't this theoretically be solved by posting the equivalent AMD levels along with the Intel ones? :p

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Yes and no as even the Intel line isn't clear cut due to Celeron and mobile processors. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Since nobody else has posted this yet here, it has been confirmed that post processing is not working with Radeon 5-series of video cards (or at least 5870). 4-series and earlier still work as usual. If post processing is enabled and you have 5-series Radeon, game will crash to desktop when a mission is loading. This is probably Catalyst driver bug.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Since nobody else has posted this yet here, it has been confirmed that post processing is not working with Radeon 5-series of video cards (or at least 5870). 4-series and earlier still work as usual. If post processing is enabled and you have 5-series Radeon, game will crash to desktop when a mission is loading. This is probably Catalyst driver bug.

:(  :(  :(

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown

Bull****.  Not all 5-series cards are dysfunctional...  Radeon HD 5770 here, postprocessing works fine without crashes for me.  Seems that only the 5870 is affected.
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Well, there is a slight core difference between those, so there could be a difference in behavior. 

Offline Kolgena

It might also be the driver version you're using. It seems that ATi has been throwing out some pretty weird tweaks that are bugging a few select things in the latest drivers. I wouldn't be surprised if something similar was preventing post-processing from working.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Well, we could ask anyone having the pp crash try downgrading to a previous driver.

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
I probably don't have the most recent drivers, and knowing these kinds of bugs I'm not exactly pumped about upgrading drivers anyway.

Do the 57xx and 58xx series have the same drivers?
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Actually. . . I have a mantis report in on this very same issue, although I own a Radeon 5830. Mantis issue is 0002204 - I have tried Catalyst 10.3-10.6 and the issue occurs with 3.6.12-RC2 and 3.6.12-RC3.

Interestingly enough a developer who was working with me on this built me the (then) latest trunk build in 3.6.13, and Post Processing worked fine. The fix is in the trunk code but has not been back ported to the 3.6.12 code base. Comment above by Chief indicates to me it will likely not be, either. :(

I probably don't have the most recent drivers, and knowing these kinds of bugs I'm not exactly pumped about upgrading drivers anyway.

Do the 57xx and 58xx series have the same drivers?

Yes, all ATI Radeon 2xxx, 3xxx, 4xxx and 5xxx series cards use the same exact drivers, and ATI releases a new driver each and every month. Current driver is 10.6, meaning:
 (20)10.6(June)

It might also be the driver version you're using. It seems that ATi has been throwing out some pretty weird tweaks that are bugging a few select things in the latest drivers. I wouldn't be surprised if something similar was preventing post-processing from working.

The 10.3 release I was using when I posted the issue in Mantis was the OpenGL 4.0 Preview driver. Catalyst 10.4 and 10.5 used the bog-standard ATI OpenGL driver. I did a clean driver install between each version to avoid problems while I was testing.

Catalyst 10.6 (current) is the official release of the new ATI OpenGL 4.0 driver (for 5xxx series cards. It is 3.something for older cards).

30% of steam users is far closer than real market share to FSO current target audience.

Yes, but again I would respectfully argue that FSO users, by nature, are more "enthusiast" users in general. I mean, it's not like FSO and the mediaVPs are any sort of easy for the novice computer user to install and run here :). My thinking would still be that the few users that both browse this site AND that don't understand the whole SSE thing  are more likely to be Intel owners anyway. Saying "Newer than Pentium 4" is probably still insufficient. Perhaps "for Pentium 4, Core and i-series CPUs and equivalent"  would be better. After all - the purpose is to help avoid the same question coming up again and again in the forum, not to educate people on the finer points of the various SSE instruction sets and supporting hardware. :) Remember - bottom up, not top down. :)

Post merge for great justice. --Jeff Vader
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 03:17:24 am by Jeff Vader »

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
The fix is in the trunk code but has not been back ported to the 3.6.12 code base.
The thing is. as far as I know there is no such fix in trunk that is not in RC3.

mvmiller12, please use ONE post for multiple quotes. What you're doing is post-spamming.