Author Topic: How to install properly?  (Read 2314 times)

Offline Flare

• Steam
How to install properly?
Hi guys! FS newb here. I've ran the installer for Diaspora (only for 1.1 and 1.1.1) but when I launch FS2_open_diaspora_R1.exe the screen goes black and I have to go to task manager to close it along with this error message:

What to do? I'm totally stuck here. I installed it to it's own folder, do I need to add it to a folder with the FS2 Open files already or something?   :confused:

Can someone give me some instructions please. I really want to fly!

Thanks,

Flare

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: How to install properly?
Try running the Launcher that came with the game.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Hi guys! FS newb here. I've ran the installer for Diaspora (only for 1.1 and 1.1.1)
Are you saying you ran the 1.1 patch but not the original installer? Because you'll be missing a lot of data in that case (which would explain the error).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Hi guys! FS newb here. I've ran the installer for Diaspora (only for 1.1 and 1.1.1)
Are you saying you ran the 1.1 patch but not the original installer? Because you'll be missing a lot of data in that case (which would explain the error).

Yeah if the 1.1 installer is just to update 1.0 > 1.1, then it won't work if you didn't already install 1.0

Since 1.1 and 1.1.1 are both labeled 'patch', I'm gonna say you need to:

1) Install 1.0

2) Install 1.1 on top of 1.0

3) Install 1.1.1 on top of 1.1

4) Run the Diaspora launcher.

Offline Flare

• Steam
Thanks guys. The page for 1.1 said includes all other updates, so I didn't know I had to install 1.0

I must say, this is one awesome mod! I'm on the mission where you have to protect the tanker as you refuel the Theseus, and so far I love it. The cutscenes are great, the breifings are exceptional, the gameplay - it really shows you that one snubfighter can't really do a lot to influence how a battle goes! I love the massive battles in this campaign. All the explosions from the missiles, wow! That one mission where the Theseus goes head on against the basestar was amazing. What a sight. The time-to-kill on the raiders feels perfect, the way the lock-on gimballed guns work is great (these guys could teach Star Citizen a lesson!) Even as someone who's never watched BSG, this was everything I wanted in a space sim. Can you do Star Wars next? (just kidding, you guys should work on this. It's amazing.)

Wow!

Flare

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The Fate of the Galaxy team are already doing Star Wars on the same engine. There is some crossover between our two teams.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]