Author Topic: 3.6.12 MediaVPs Discussion thread  (Read 97019 times)

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Re: 3.6.12 MediaVPs Discussion thread
I presumed that noone responded because they though the old one was fine and didn't need to be changed!
I guess I should have just responded and posted the old one to make that an option :/
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Nehemiah

• I prefer exploding spaceships to blood and gore.
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=70846.0

Take a look, The E has just found a minor problem in the MVPs.

What is a fiction viewer?

On another note, are the mediavps mirrored anywhere yet?  FSMods is dang slow with all you people trying to download it as well from the same location.
The Babylon Project was our last, best hope for peace.  It failed...

No no!  I love the mod!  That's just what Commander Ivanova says at the beginning of B5 season 3.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
I presumed that noone responded because they though the old one was fine and didn't need to be changed!
I guess I should have just responded and posted the old one to make that an option :/

Seriously, if the request is for a splash screen to which there is already one, should it not occur that perhaps a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT one is being requested?

Seriously.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 09:02:47 pm by Zacam »
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Awesome MVPs guys.

However. I thought mjn.mixael's new HTL missiles were supposed to make it in here, or are they not ready yet?
Also, while the new missile trails are as excellent as I had hoped, it's slightly disconcerting to see that the Harpoon and Trebuchet seem to have been Shivanized.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Original retail trail of both of those was red. Though I suppose effects could be changed from 06 to 02 in the future.

Original retail trail of both of those was red. Though I suppose effects could be changed from 06 to 02 in the future.
Well no kidding. I guess I just got too used to playing with .9 and .10 for all these years.

At first I was "whouou, shiny new effects"
then "Now that's what I call explosions"
but in the end "Argl can't move when they explode"

This is kinda problematic : I have a massive drop of performance whenever there is fire or explosions.
Is there anyway to deactivate then new explosion effects, or at least decrease their number when a fighter explodes/gets damaged ?
Or perhaps something to do with the nvidia control panel that would make the graphic card handle it better ?

Systems specs :
    Intel Q6600 (4*2.4 GHz)
    nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS 320 MB
    4 GB RAM (800 MHz)
    XP x64 pro

Offline Kolgena

What are your control panel settings right now? your specs look like they should be able to handle the effects fine. I have a core2 2.4Ghz, 3650 HD mobility, and I handle the effects fine  at 1920x1080 no AA no AF maxed game/launcher.

Offline Kolgena

Are those the post-processing shaders I see in the VPs?

Are those on by default, or do I need to keep the tbl file from before in /data, or am I imagining things and I need the old shaders as well?

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Just double checked, the post-processing shaders ARE in the MediaVPs.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I like having the armored Leviathan, breaks the monotony a little more like the small changes between the Cain and Lilith.
I noticed on the Tauret its nebula trails are a bit off.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I was skeptical of the leviathan, but turns out I like it. Makes way more sense too.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
I have a question. I don't know if this is the place to ask/report individual problems with the latest MVP's, but I don't see any other thread dedicated to that.

For below: 1920x1080, full detail;

3.6.10 media VP's, all options on, no problem, 60 FPS constant.

3.6.12 media VP's, all options on EXCEPT Environment Mapping, 60 FPS constant.

3.6.12 media VP's, all options on, INCLUDING Environment Mapping, 0 FPS, the game can't push a single frame, I have to ctrl+alt+del to get out of it.

I was wondering if the environment mapping was changed so much with this release, to be so taxing this time around, or do I maybe have a problem that could be fixed so I can run them?

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
BlackDove: What is the video card and drivers used and what Executable version?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 05:44:29 pm by Zacam »
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I dunno if it's just this version, but the SGreen glow is far too big, it's both wider and taller than an Aeolus while the actual beam is less than 1/5th of the diameter. It may be like this with other beam glows too, though I haven't seen any as close as the SGreen.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
BlackDove: What is the video card and drivers used and what Executable version?

Inferno 3.6.12r SSE2 (my CPU supports it, but the same thing happens with non SSE build, and the non inferno build), 8800 GTS 320 (again, 3.6.10 worked flawlessly) and driver version 257.21 (no problems in any other games or anything).

I should also clarify, when I flip env mapping on, I can go to the tech room and all that jazz. It all renders beautifully. But when I try to enter a mission, it will barely render the first frame. Problems start during the loading of a mission, any mission, first mission of the FSO vanilla campaign, a BWO mission, doesn't matter, same result. After the long loading procedure (insanely long compared to having env mapping flipped off, or using 3.6.10), the mouse cursor will twitch on the CBR and BR screens. I alt tabbed to see if I was memory leaking or anything; nothing out of the ordinary. CPU is fine at 20-30% and memory has a full free gig to use.

Just odd. I mean, my computer is ****, but it does render the game flawlessly otherwise at 60 FPS without a hitch on any part during missions or otherwise with all the features turned on in all the situations as I described in my previous post. Just the new 3.6.12 env mapping will completely kill it.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Can you post a debug log? I mean, it sounds more like a renderer issue to me than anything else, and I don't think there have been many changes there.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
I'm updating my drivers to the latest nvidya has to test it again, and I'll give you the debug log when I'm done.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
Actually scratch that, with the latest nVidia drivers, even with env mapping, the game runs at 60fps. Loads quickly again too.

Guess the drivers were the issue.

Thanks for the help. Hah.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 07:05:53 pm by BlackDove »

Hey I'm not getting the posted md5 for MV_Maximum_3612.7z after downloading it twice. I got FACF36C14493AAE7CC5D84CB8C1C46A4 both times. Also after unzipping it looks like MV_Assets.vp has its md5 sums reversed as I got the MD5 for the zip file. Can anyone else verify?