Author Topic: 3.6.12 MediaVPs Discussion thread  (Read 96690 times)

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Re: 3.6.12 MediaVPs Discussion thread
Aten shouldn't be using those maps as far as I know, but I cannot confirm it at this time. Those maps belong to the old Hatshepshut destroyer and were removed, these maps do not exist in new mvp's.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Please provide an fs2_open.log. On my end, the Aten shows up just fine.

And those maps should exist in retail.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Satellight

• Star Dreamer
ok so BP was a bad example but the question still stands what happens if you run both

If you try to get an old mod to point to the 3.6.12 MediaVPs, I don't know. Maybe something bad. If you try to get it to point to both, I imagine everything will asplode.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Will be a pleasure to experiment if you want to kill someone.
Never far away from HLP and from a computer with an installed FreeSpace.

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Ok i seem to have got it working, i deleted the mediavp folder and did a re-install and it seems to be working. So if i want the glow-maps for the old hat maps for other ships, i'll need to get the ones from the media 10vps?
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yes.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
*sigh*

Was it really necessary to remove upgraded versions of those retail textures? The number of normal mapped canon models is increasing, and that is a very good thing for us all, but getting rid of retail maps kind of damages user-made ships. One of the coolest things about MVPs, IMHO, is how they make old and low poly custom models look better.

If I got it right, most (if not all) user-made Vasudan ships would see their texture quality drop back to retail levels? :(
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Remember, those textures are still available in the .10 mvps.

I think what we are going to do is to release a vp with the unused maps that got removed from the main vps. That should take care of these compatibility issues.

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
Remember, those textures are still available in the .10 mvps.

I think what we are going to do is to release a vp with the unused maps that got removed from the main vps. That should take care of these compatibility issues.

Thats good to hear.  With all the available mods and campaigns that have been released it is unrealistic to expect all the creators to go back and modify their campaigns, especially given that in many cases the creators are no longer around.
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
So let me check i'm understanding this right; 3.6.10 and 3.6.12 MediaVPs are incompatible, so you need to make them seperate Mods, which is clean but mods that refer to the MVPs in their mod.ini files no longer work, right?

Would it not be possible to have the system that refers mods to the MVP's as a seperate mod? As in essentially the mod.ini and settings would be in an empty folder named "mediavps" and then its primarymod and secondary mod entires would refer to the latest version of the MVPs (which would be in their own folders with the numbers as you have done here). The upgrade team could then just update the mod.ini file with each upgrade, and mods wouldn't need to change anything.

If you mean that actuall file names are changing than the above probably wouldn't work (and sorry for wasting your time), but it just came to mind as a way of getting around the constantly changing number in the mod name if that is what will break stuff.
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The way it would work right now is like this: You have the 3.6.10 mvps in a "mediavps" folder. Next to it, you have the .12 mvps in a "mediavps_3612" folder. Once you have confirmed that a mod works with the new mvps, you can change its mod.ini to point at the new ones.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project

That should definitely be done, IMHO... :yes:
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Mediavps, as any other individual mod is fluid. You cannot expect unused assets to be kept around just for convenience of other mods. If mod wants to be .12 compatible, developers should copy the maps from .10 to their mod or keep using .10 mediavps and not update to new ones at all.

While optional vp-file for deprecated assets at first sounds good, you need to remember that mod compatibility is not only about assets that got removed. It is also about assets that got changed or added. It still does not ensure compatibility with old mods.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Fury, that's not the point.

It's a bit of convenience that we can and IMHO should provide to make the transition easier.

There is no point in pissing off developers for no reason. Really.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I am developer myself and I'd be against that idea. But that's just me.

Offline Qent

MV_Root_3612 seems to have the MD5s for the zip and vp switched.

Offline Satellight

• Star Dreamer
Just tried "surrender Belisarius !" with the new mediavps and the new explosions and GVD Psamtik are just mother****ing EXCELLENT  :eek2:

On that point (the explosions), you've done a amazing work guys  :yes2::nod::yes: (I don't mean the others enhancements are bad  :D)

Effectively, it could be a little bit difficult for new users to understand the good-using-procedure of MediaVps, but the release post, the FreeSpace Wiki, or the step-by-step installation instruction are very useful. I'm not very clever (and not native english speaker)  :D and I can play, so...

Thank you very very very much ! Continuez comme ça les gars !

Never far away from HLP and from a computer with an installed FreeSpace.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
The full download does not contain the radar icons, probably intentional rather than a miss, but still letting you know guys.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Ungh, if I'm going to have to go through and figure out exactly what I need from the Old mediavps that isn't in the new one, I'm just going to remove dependancy of all my mods on the Mediavps to begin with!

Since now I'm forced update my modpack every time a new mediavps comes out anyway, might as well save myself the headache and remove dependency altogether and import the updates that I want, rather than figure out what dependencies are broken that I need. One of the few reasons a modder has to keep dependancy on the mediavps is that whenever new things are developed, the modpack gets updated along with it, with little work required. If we're going to have to do a massive overhaul every time...that kinda defeats the purpose of using the MediaVps in the first place when I can just rip all the assets I need and never worry about it breaking because it was updated behind my back.

Unless of course, I was horribly mistaken as to what mediavps dependancy means in terms of a modpack, in which case I'll just remove dependancy altogether anyway.

Makes it easier for the end-user too...

tl;dr: I wish someone would tell me exactly what was removed, cause finding it out myself would probably take just as long as removing dependancy on the mediavps altogether...
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Kolgena

How compatible is this with FSPort?

In addition, what am I risking (aside from unplayable missions) when I rename secondary mods to mediavps_3612 instead of mediavps?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 03:29:35 pm by Kolgena »

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Any/all MD5 Hash listings in the Release post have been scoured any any incorrect entries have been corrected. My apologies for any confusion.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys