Author Topic: Have you seen Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets?  (Read 1402 times)

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Have you seen Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets?
Hey guys, have you seen the film, Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets?

In it, according to Woutersmits, there's a cool-looking fighter, as well as destroyers and cruisers. These are the ones that he and I want to model.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
Re: Have you seen Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets?
The trailers were not helpful in explaining what was going on and the leads look super uninterested to be there. I will not be checking it out.

The trailers were not helpful in explaining what was going on and the leads look super uninterested to be there. I will not be checking it out.
Good plan. The male lead is infuriating.

Saw the flick, I have no desire to watch it again. Just give me Fifth Element again, at least everyone in there actually acted worth a damn (even broos)

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
The trailers looked very pretty, but I can get pretty by flipping over a damn rock as far as movies go in this day and age.  I haven't heard much good about it, and will be skipping it.

Offline Luis Dias

Oh Luc Besson, what did you do to my beloved Valerian?!? Snifffffff

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
I saw it. It is the lower end of good as there are some heavy caveats.

Firstly, the story is very 60s-ish/70s-ish... the main update seems to have been to make the leads younger (which in case of Valerian doesn't work). This means there is a heavy anti-nuclear proliferations message hiding in there. Also the sci-fi terminology is a bit stuck in this centre of the atomic age terminology (e.g. the ammount of energy in Planet Mül's energy pearly is measured in megatons).

Secondly, the story is not very deep. There are elemtent that carry on form start to finish and they come neatly together in the end, but there is nothing you can't seem to see kilometers ahead if you just keep your head in the game.

Thirdly, as said before the main update seems to have been to age-down the leads (in comics as I understand it Valerian and Laurelei are mid-30s which in the movie they are late-to-mid-20s). This makes for nice side-gags but also comes crashing down in the end.

Fourthy, the whole deal with the Pearl people is also very 60s/70s-ish as it cringeworthy noble savage down to a single letter of definition. I heard discussion about how the portrails is also culturally insensitive but had not had the time to go into that debate.

But that said, it is visually very interesting and varied (though, there is a stark contrast for purposes of keeping the story light, which shows just what audience this is geared towards). The opening sequence which shows the grow of Alpha as well as the main the exposition sequence about Alpha some 1/3 into the movie are visual treats (even if the second one get bogged down with narration).

The entire section of the movie set in Big Market is also awesome and some of coolest in-concept sci-fi recently.

As I said, I liked it. But maybe moreso as it is not another drap "all civilisation will end" entry in genre. (If I am asking for optimism, you know things are bad)

Good plan. The male lead is infuriating.

Luc Besson as a director never seems to be interested in directing his male leads. You can see it in his entire corpus of work that (much like many other male directors) he clearly is more interested in showcasing his female leads and they are are constinently better casted, directed and shot.

In it, according to Woutersmits, there's a cool-looking fighter, as well as destroyers and cruisers. These are the ones that he and I want to model.

That seqeunce are about 5 minutes at the end.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 03:27:39 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Luis Dias

Valerian's ship has been my favorite ship since I was a child.

**** that Millenarium copypasted Hawk or whatever it's called.