Author Topic: FS2_Open Linux Mini Howto  (Read 67917 times)

FS2_Open Linux Discussion
Okay... I've now set OpenAL to use ALSA...
Sometime FS2_Open freezes when exiting and sometimes not...

Originally posted by Mr_Maniac
Sometime FS2_Open freezes when exiting and sometimes not...

The same issue here.

I noticed problems with the German 'ß'. It doesn't display throughout the game

There are some Problem with "local" Versions...
The keymap for example is english...
So I couldn't use the "default" keys because they just didn't work...
So I had to re-map some keys...
But that's just a little problem... I think it will get fixed somewhen...
But other things are more important ATM...

Originally posted by Mr_Maniac
There are some Problem with "local" Versions...
The keymap for example is english...
So I couldn't use the "default" keys because they just didn't work...
So I had to re-map some keys...
But that's just a little problem... I think it will get fixed somewhen...
But other things are more important ATM...

By a simple script I pass to US keymap before starting the game with 'setxkbmap'. Then I return to my italian keyboard.
The drawback is that you have to remember where US keys are located..

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Originally posted by Christoph_Berg
I noticed problems with the German 'ß'. It doesn't display throughout the game

I've got the German version of FS2 (don't speak the language just have it for testing) so point out where it's wrong and I'll have a look.  The keymap should be mostly right (unless I'm still missing stuff) for German keyboards, as long as the game detects a German version which is dependant on the root_fs2.vp or the Language setting in the ini file.  I spent 3 or 4 months for the icculus.org version just doing German related changes and fixes and it was well tested in the end.  Some of that may not have made it all the way over to FS2_Open but nothing has jumped out at me so far.

Originally posted by lagnoman
By a simple script I pass to US keymap before starting the game with 'setxkbmap'. Then I return to my italian keyboard.
The drawback is that you have to remember where US keys are located..

Send me a link or something to the key layout on the Italian keyboard and I'll if I can do anything about it.  I probably won't be able to detect it automatically but I could at least give you an option in the ini file to switch between layouts.

Originally posted by taylor
Send me a link or something to the key layout on the Italian keyboard and I'll if I can do anything about it.  I probably won't be able to detect it automatically but I could at least give you an option in the ini file to switch between layouts.

Thank you, taylor. I was meaning that keyboard layout is not a problem to me.. If there are italians interested I can send you the italian keymap file. Otherwise let's concentrate on major issues !

Ehh, I get that too.  I thought it was just me though so I haven't really tried to fix it.  It's a race condition between pthread and the OpenAL closeout stuff.  If you don't use sound then it will work fine, but who wants that.  I'm using a slightly hacked version of OpenAL CVS, which is when it started messing up for me, so I thought that's all it was.  What backend are you using for OpenAL? (native, sdl, oss, alsa?)

I'm using Debian Sarge's OpenAL CVS version. I tried oss, alsa and esd (very slow) backend but fs2_open doesn't want to exit properly (it quitted cleanly only once in a hundred tries).

I'm using a debug build from the last cvs version. The non-debug build always crashes before visualizing the cockpit.

Offline Darwood

Well I got the source last night and was able to successfully compile on OSX without having to modify any files, however I'm having the same problems as before.  Without the -nohal option the game crashes as soon as I try to go into a mission, but with hal off I don't get collisions or weapons (I get the weapon sounds however).  Also fullscreen mode doesn't seem to be available, but it looks like that is disabled in a debug version?

I'm going to start looking into it some more when I get the time.

I have compiled the icculus.org version and that one works great.  I'm a little confused as to the different history of the icculus version and the fs2_open version.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Originally posted by Darwood
ithout the -nohal option the game crashes as soon as I try to go into a mission, but with hal off I don't get collisions or weapons (I get the weapon sounds however).  Also fullscreen mode doesn't seem to be available, but it looks like that is disabled in a debug version?

I think that tigital is working on (or has already fixed) the HTL crash, something htl_vert related if I remember his e-mail correctly.  If that's what you are getting then I'll check with him and try and get a patch.

Fullscreen should work fine in debug mode, as long as you aren't using the -window cmdline option that is.  It should still default to fullscreen in debug mode but you can add "Fullscreen=1" to the ini file under the "[Defaults]" section for force it, even if -window is specified.

I have compiled the icculus.org version and that one works great.  I'm a little confused as to the different history of the icculus version and the fs2_open version.

The tress weren't merged so all of the CVS history didn't get carried over.  The OpenGL code is kind of a mix but has long since deviated from the icculus.org version.  If that's what you meant by "history" anyway.  If not let me know and I'll try again. :)

Oh and I think that the freeze on exit is fixed now.  I followed the OpenAL specs in my last update but apparently that wasn't the best idea.  I've got an update coming later tonight as soon as I can get a few other sound related issues resolved.  It still hangs when running in gdb for me but when not run in a debugger it exists quickly and cleanly.

Offline Darwood

I think that tigital is working on (or has already fixed) the HTL crash, something htl_vert related if I remember his e-mail correctly.  If that's what you are getting then I'll check with him and try and get a patch.

This is exactly the problem.  htl_vert is where it was crashing.

Fullscreen should work fine in debug mode, as long as you aren't using the -window cmdline option that is.  It should still default to fullscreen in debug mode but you can add "Fullscreen=1" to the ini file under the "[Defaults]" section for force it, even if -window is specified.

Interesting, I have "Fullscreen=1" in the ini file under "[Default]" (seems I don't have an s there hmmm) and that didn't affect anything.  I need to play with that some more.  At first I thought it might be my SDL but the icculus.org version does fullscreen fine and that was compiled against the same SDL.

The tress weren't merged so all of the CVS history didn't get carried over.  The OpenGL code is kind of a mix but has long since deviated from the icculus.org version.  If that's what you meant by "history" anyway.  If not let me know and I'll try again. :)

Yep that's what I mean.  So I can infer that the icculus.org code was merged (in one way or another) with the fs2_open code and that is the history?  So fs2_open is the current continuation of the icculus.org code?

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Originally posted by Darwood
Yep that's what I mean.  So I can infer that the icculus.org code was merged (in one way or another) with the fs2_open code and that is the history?  So fs2_open is the current continuation of the icculus.org code?

It's more of a branch than a continuation.  The icculus.org version is just a straight port so it's made to work that way, being comparable feature wise to the Windows version.  It's setup to be as compatible as possible to the orignal as far as pilot files go and networking.  Stability is also a primary goal.  The Linux code is added in a way that it should still be capable of building a normal Freespace2 binary for Windows.  Everything is separated.  The icculus.org code is still being worked on but just to the point that it's better, faster, more stable, rather than adding cool new features.

The fs2_open version of the code has evolved to have more features, be faster and at some point be merged together.  The Linux code has been modified to work better with the Windows code rather than trying to keep it separate.  And by merged together I mean that there is talk of replacing some Windows specific parts with SDL/OpenAL on all platforms.  The new audio code is the first pitch at that since you can compile a Windows binary with OpenAL support now rather than the older Windows only sound code.  It's not 100% but is mainly just a test at this point.  Graphics and input using SDL will be next with a working Windows version probably in the next few days.  Whether the Windows version dumps the old code and goes the SDL/OpenAL route I don't know, but the option will be there.