Author Topic: BP: War in Heaven discussion  (Read 912221 times)

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Re: BP: War in Heaven discussion
The problem is that once BP is dependency free (Standalone incoming, Source: Lord-Battu'), it will likely become a honeypot once it hits What-the-****-everChan, Reddit, Tumblr, and gaming community sites; if stuff like FNAF can be seen as an example. Then it will inevitably get the attention of CoRHs.

Offline crizza

Question: The GTVA has contigencies for everything. I think somewhere in this thread is somehing about a potential exodus, if the shivans arrive again.
Apart from large sleeper ships, how would such a fleet work? Are logistic ships able to produce everything needed for a fleet on the move or would such a fleet have dedicated ..."Forgeships"?
I'm currently toying around with ship concepts, apart from a frigate with mission modules the idea of forgeships is a big one.

Offline -Norbert-

Considering the comments about being low on supplies at the end of AoA I would assume that the logistic ships are not able to produce everything their battlegroup needs. At least not for a prolonged time.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
That was with continuous combat. I suspect logistics ships can produce most everything a fleet would need, just not as quickly as it might need them.

The GVL Tawaret is an enormous Vasudan logistics vessel, comparable to the Anemoi. The Tawaret, however, doubles as a tanker capable of collecting gas and processing it for fuel to the fleet. As such, the Vasudan logistics ship lacks medical bays, and due to the fuel processing facilities, is susceptible to devastating internal explosions should it be fired upon.
The tech description for the Tawaret seems to imply that the Terran Anemoi class logistic vessels lack the ability to produce fuel. They're essentially gigantic freighters and medical ships that haul supplies around. The Tawaret, however, could sustain the fueling needs of a nomadic battlegroup for much longer, at least until non-fuel supplies start becoming a problem. Having both classes of logistics ships, however, would be much more effective than only one or the other.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
It implies that it can't store fuel, and we don't know if Anemoi travel with tankers for that reason, there were certainly a few gas miners in the GTA ranks in BP.

Offline azile0

• Resident Trekkie
-Act 3 spoilers-

So if the Elders are all being influenced by the Vishnans, and the GTVA wants to exterminate Vishnan influence (IE the Elders) then why did an Elder want to go to the GTVA?

Furthermore, how planned out is this story? Was it all written at the same time, or did story writing for BP and WiH happen separately?
You get one chocolate chip.

. <--- There it is.

Self-proclaimed master of the Keypad.

Offline -Norbert-

We don't know if all the Elders were influenced by the Vishnans, but either way the Vishnans have stopped talking alltogether, so that could easily shake the confidence of the Elders. If they feel abandoned by their benefectors, they might take it as a sign that they are doomed. If you believe you can't win, it's only natural to try to negotiate favourable terms for the inevitable surrender.

Or it's also possible that now that she's no longer under the influence of the Vishnans, she realized that they were manipulating mankind for their own ends and not for mankinds benefit.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Does orestes tactical ever return?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Act 3 spoilers:
Spoiler:
Meanwhile, the Fuhjadeen use a Shivan for calculations. I may have played too much Mass Effect, but I do consider it a possibility that the Shivans exert some influence on the Fuhjadeen (mainly geared towards more destruction as that ultimately makes their job easier). We don't know how the GTVA predictions come about, but there is this "War In Heaven" title. It's an aspect of quite a few mythologies that if there's War in Heaven, they use humans as pawns.

Also, everybody is defenitely relying on their own socio-economic models too much

Offline azile0

• Resident Trekkie
Act 3 spoiler:

Spoiler:
Okay, just to make sure I have everything down correctly:

The Vishnans manipulated humanity via Ubuntu in order to get us closer to their 'enlightenment', and they now think the plan has failed so they're tasking an unknown alien species to annihalate us. Meanwhile, the Shivans are offering an olive branch to save our skins. This has something to do with Laporte, and the Ken entity. Yeah?

Also, game question- in the fight against the Carthage, I lost a lot of ships. The Recommendations said that having a high death toll would have consequences later, but it was never mentioned again. Did I miss something, or was that feature not implemented?

. <--- There it is.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Spoiler:
Also, game question- in the fight against the Carthage, I lost a lot of ships. The Recommendations said that having a high death toll would have consequences later, but it was never mentioned again. Did I miss something, or was that feature not implemented?

Spoiler:
I believe that it's intended to have consequences in the unreleased parts of BP, possibly Act 4.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline CKid

Spoiler:
The Vishnans want the Shivans to cult humanity, but the Shivans have different plans. (Ken)
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Spoiler:
Fuhjadeen
Spoiler:
It's "Fedayeen".

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I believe that it's intended to have consequences in the unreleased parts of BP, possibly Act 4.
Spoiler:
There's not really any time for it to have consequences in Act 3; the very next mission is Eyes in the Storm (which doesn't involve 3rd fleet strikecraft) followed by Universal Truth (which involves no ships whatsoever).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Wait, is transferring saves through multiple campaigns even possible? I mean, you could just start part 3(act 4) without ever having played part 1 or 2, couldn't you?
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline azile0

• Resident Trekkie
Maybe it's held on to in your pilot file somehow? I'm no modder and I thought that divergent mission paths had to stay within a campaign.

. <--- There it is.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I believe that act 4 & 5 will be part of BP:WiH part 2, i.e. it'll be re-released with act 3-5 in one campaign.  Because you're correct, you can't transfer saves through multiple campaigns (... unless you get funky with LUA I suppose).
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Act 3 spoiler:

Spoiler:

The Vishnans manipulated humanity via Ubuntu in order to get us closer to their 'enlightenment', and they now think the plan has failed so they're tasking an unknown alien species to annihalate us. Meanwhile, the Shivans are offering an olive branch to save our skins. This has something to do with Laporte, and the Ken entity. Yeah?
Act 3 spoiler:

Spoiler:
Yeah, that's basically it. The exchange between the Shivans and Vishnans in Universal Truth suggests that there is a fracture in the governing system of the cosmos (the War in Heaven). What caused this dispute between them is unclear - probably something to do with the Vishnans manipulating the development of the human race.

It seems that the Shivans have decided that they need to resort to different methods than usual to resolve it. Ken/Bosch enters the scene unexpectedly, and the Shivans see an opportunity to use the Humans (through Ken and Laporte) as some sort of trump card to break the impasse against the Vishnans. In episodes 4-5, it looks like Laporte will execute a Shivan plan which will upset the order of the cosmos in some small, but significant way.

The upside for the Humans for following through with this: we get to live.

...though it should be pointed out that it's possible that Laporte and the Fedayeen are being misled. In Age of Aquarius, we are lead to believe that the Vishnans are pretty much just the good guys, and that the Dispute with the Shivans was just the Shivans being unreasonable baddies. But now in War in Heaven we're seeing things from a much less credulous point of view (the Fedayeen analysts are much more cynical than feel-good hippy Samuel Bei), so I'm inclined to think that we're getting a more accurate picture - that the Vishnans are less caring and more big and scary than we thought, that the Shivans serve a more complicated purpose than mere Omnicidal Aliens, and that even the Grand Cosmic Design sits on shaky foundations. That's sort of a running theme in BP2 - that different parties can have reasonable disagreements that lead to violent conflict. The Sol-GTVA war parallels the Shivan-Vishnan conflict in that sense.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 07:35:06 pm by DanielBeaver »

Act 3 spoiler:

Spoiler:

Act 3 spoiler:

Spoiler:
Yeah, that's basically it. The exchange between the Shivans and Vishnans in Universal Truth suggests that there is a fracture in the governing system of the cosmos (the War in Heaven). What caused this dispute between them is unclear - probably something to do with the Vishnans manipulating the development of the human race.

It seems that the Shivans have decided that they need to resort to different methods than usual to resolve it. Ken/Bosch enters the scene unexpectedly, and the Shivans see an opportunity to use the Humans (through Ken and Laporte) as some sort of trump card to break the impasse against the Vishnans. In episodes 4-5, it looks like Laporte will execute a Shivan plan which will upset the order of the cosmos in some small, but significant way.

The upside for the Humans for following through with this: we get to live.

...though it should be pointed out that it's possible that Laporte and the Fedayeen are being misled. In Age of Aquarius, we are lead to believe that the Vishnans are pretty much just the good guys, and that the Dispute with the Shivans was just the Shivans being unreasonable baddies. But now in War in Heaven we're seeing things from a much less credulous point of view (the Fedayeen analysts are much more cynical than feel-good hippy Samuel Bei), so I'm inclined to think that we're getting a more accurate picture - that the Vishnans are less caring and more big and scary than we thought, that the Shivans serve a more complicated purpose than mere Omnicidal Aliens, and that even the Grand Cosmic Design sits on shaky foundations. That's sort of a running theme in BP2 - that different parties can have reasonable disagreements that lead to violent conflict. The Sol-GTVA war parallels the Shivan-Vishnan conflict in that sense.

Spoiler:
I'm also on the fence about this as well. I would say that the Bei's side of the story is being manipulated, but there is one burning question that lingers in my head: What if the GTVA never did enter war with the UEF? Would the Vishnans still be trying to help? There goal in AoA was trying to restore this cosmic balance by bringing this Expeditionary Force through the portal to a new universe, and earning the trust of this group. If the Vishnans succeeded in convincing the GTVA to make peace rather than wage war, then this balance would have been restored. However, it has not, and it is why I believe that the Vishnans turned sour after realizing that their plan had failed. Their current mindset is what we saw in Laporte's view of the conversation. I don't think either side was manipulated, but rather saw different viewpoints at different times during the conflict.

Spoiler:
I'm also on the fence about this as well. I would say that the Bei's side of the story is being manipulated, but there is one burning question that lingers in my head: What if the GTVA never did enter war with the UEF? Would the Vishnans still be trying to help? There goal in AoA was trying to restore this cosmic balance by bringing this Expeditionary Force through the portal to a new universe, and earning the trust of this group. If the Vishnans succeeded in convincing the GTVA to make peace rather than wage war, then this balance would have been restored. However, it has not, and it is why I believe that the Vishnans turned sour after realizing that their plan had failed. Their current mindset is what we saw in Laporte's view of the conversation. I don't think either side was manipulated, but rather saw different viewpoints at different times during the conflict.

Spoiler:
I do wonder what the Vishnan plan with the universe-hopping was in the first place. Bei seems to think that it was some sort of scheme to manipulate the expeditionary force into not starting the war with the UEF (which then failed - did the Vishnans ever speak to Bei after the war started?). But I sort of think that the whole reason for the Age of Aquarius events was to manipulate the fleet into rescuing the Sanctuary, and bringing it back into the "main" universe for some purpose, and that the war was maybe just some unforeseen side-effect. Wouldn't the Elders be miffed if the Vishnans were just manipulating them to some obscure end, and were perfectly content to just let the GTVA kill them all, and then have the Shivans come clean up afterwards?

EDIT: I guess there's really no point to using spoiler tags in this thread?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 10:47:50 am by DanielBeaver »