Author Topic: Poor Framerate When Viewing Light Objects  (Read 8432 times)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Poor Framerate When Viewing Light Objects
Yes, your GPU is drastically underpowered compared to dedicated hardware (And your CPU is comparatively slow as well, which does not help matters). All in all, you're seeing pretty much what I would expect given the circumstances.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Yes, your GPU is drastically underpowered compared to dedicated hardware (And your CPU is comparatively slow as well, which does not help matters). All in all, you're seeing pretty much what I would expect given the circumstances.

In other words, there's no hope for me.

Offline Arpit

System requirements

Minimum
Pentium 200MHz
Windows 95/98/NT with DirectX 6.0 or newer
32 MBytes of RAM
400 MB Hard Disk space
8x CD-ROM
DirectSound certified video card
Hardware accelerated card
Optimum
Pentium 266MHz
64 MBytes RAM
8 MBytes Video memory
3D Sound card with EAX or A3D

You actually have all the basic requirements to play Freespace 2.  :)
Could you just try to play it with retail (No FSO) and tell us that if you get the same stuttering. If you still get the stuttering in retail, then there is no hope. :sigh:

(When you are playing with FSO then check this flag in the Game Speed list: Cache bitmaps between missions.
Also loading the ships in Ship Lab would 'reduce' the stuttering. For example, before playing King's Gambit loading the Orion, the Deimos, the Aeolus, etc. in Ship Lab would help you.)

Well, in retail FS2, it seems that I don't have as much trouble, although it does stutter occasionally. Also, the whole game in the retail version seems more sluggish. I don't know if that's just because the movement is different, but when I'm flying, the ship doesn't feel as responsive.

I think someone mentioned that an antivirus could be choking things up by checking the program whenever it tries to load new animations and textures. Windows Firewall has to ask me for permission to run each program, so I wonder if that has something to do with it.

Offline Yarn

OK, I can now point you to what might be a better driver. I don't really think it will help much, but it's worth trying.

First, go here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?product=5312237&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us

Then, in the section labeled "step one," follow the instructions. When given a list of downloads, expand "Driver - Graphics" and get the most recent video driver listed in that section.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
I'm starting to wonder if this could be a situation where changing the affinity to a different processor might help.  There could be so much built in junk trying to run on processor 0 that the game just can't get the time it needs.  I can't remember if this behavior was changed though.  Still might be worth a shot to try it. 

Launch the game.  Hit alt-ctrl-del and bring up the task manager.  Find the FS2_Open process.  Right click on it and click on affinity.  Change to something besides CPU 0.  All may or may not work depending on your machine. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

OK, I can now point you to what might be a better driver. I don't really think it will help much, but it's worth trying.

First, go here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?product=5312237&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us

Then, in the section labeled "step one," follow the instructions. When given a list of downloads, expand "Driver - Graphics" and get the most recent video driver listed in that section.

I'm starting to wonder if this could be a situation where changing the affinity to a different processor might help.  There could be so much built in junk trying to run on processor 0 that the game just can't get the time it needs.  I can't remember if this behavior was changed though.  Still might be worth a shot to try it. 

Launch the game.  Hit alt-ctrl-del and bring up the task manager.  Find the FS2_Open process.  Right click on it and click on affinity.  Change to something besides CPU 0.  All may or may not work depending on your machine. 

Both of these seemed to help maybe a tiny bit, but most of the small hiccups remain. I will learn to live with them, though. I just want to thank all of you for the help and suggestions that you've given me. Thanks for sticking with me for so long!  :nod:

Offline DarzgL

I don't know if it's been suggested before, but try disabling Vsync (in the Features tab of the launcher, then in the "List type" menu select "Game Speed" and then check "Disable vertical sync"). I was having the same issue, and this fixed it completely.

I don't know if it's been suggested before, but try disabling Vsync (in the Features tab of the launcher, then in the "List type" menu select "Game Speed" and then check "Disable vertical sync"). I was having the same issue, and this fixed it completely.

I think it was suggested before, but I just tried it again and it didn't help with any of the aforementioned issues. But thank you for the suggestion!

Dude ohh dude!!! I had a similar case as yours and I'm so excited I solved it, I hope yours gets solved just the same. I had no issues with lightning stuff, BUT, whenever I faced a warp or an explosion, damn! it would take forever to complete. After being as frustrated as you are now, I fooled around with the launcher and finally solved it!
ok, enough chatter, to the point. try this:

on the Features tab, select troubleshoot and disable GLSL (shader) support.

I have no idea what the heck that is and how it detriments graphs, but I don't give a heck as long as I can play smoothly. I figured this out after checking and unchecking EVERY option on that darned launcher.
another curious thing is that I didn't have this problem with FreeSpace 1 nor with ST expansion.
man, I hope this helps, it would actually be the first time I'd be able to help someone on techy issues (can't you read my excitement???)

Good luck and heads up!

Dude ohh dude!!! I had a similar case as yours and I'm so excited I solved it, I hope yours gets solved just the same. I had no issues with lightning stuff, BUT, whenever I faced a warp or an explosion, damn! it would take forever to complete. After being as frustrated as you are now, I fooled around with the launcher and finally solved it!
ok, enough chatter, to the point. try this:

on the Features tab, select troubleshoot and disable GLSL (shader) support.

I have no idea what the heck that is and how it detriments graphs, but I don't give a heck as long as I can play smoothly. I figured this out after checking and unchecking EVERY option on that darned launcher.
another curious thing is that I didn't have this problem with FreeSpace 1 nor with ST expansion.
man, I hope this helps, it would actually be the first time I'd be able to help someone on techy issues (can't you read my excitement???)

Good luck and heads up!

I think someone may have mentioned this before. Thanks, though! I tried it again, and it does help somewhat (that's why I think someone suggested it earlier--it seemed familiar). However, disabling that GLSL (shader) support gets rid of the cool effects from the ships' engines and such, which for me is one of the coolest effects of FSO. They might cause very minor stuttering, but I've decided that I can live with that in order to have the awesome effects. Plus, even with the GLSL (shader) support disabled, I still experience a bit of stuttering/slowdown from other things.

Offline borizz

I'm bumping this because I also have lag with GLSL shaders on. Mostly on ships jumping in and out of subspace, but sometimes on other effects as well (not sure which). It's not slowing down on the sunbeams, though, which are the main reason I'd like to have GLSL work. They are very pretty.

My PC is no slouch. However, since I'd doubt that this would be a default setting if it made the game unplayable (which is does for me) I think this is something that has to do with my specific configuration. Is this perhaps something specific to AMD graphics adapters?

I am running FS2 Open 3.7.1 (AVX BP). Flags are the "all features on" preset with Woolie Wool's lighting settings (I have tried others -- no change).

My PC is:
i5-4690K
AMD Radeon R9 270X (latest stable drivers -- version 14.4)
8GB RAM

If you want I can try the onboard Intel HD 4600 on my processor tomorrow, and I can create a debug log if needed. I can also install the latest beta drivers for my AMD card. Please let me know if there is any fix available.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Do not use the BP builds. They are using a completely different render system than trunk builds, as such, behaviour from them is not representative for stable release builds.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline borizz

Thanks, that fixed it. I was under the impression I needed the BP specific builds for BP.

Now my menus and loading screens are in a 4:3 aspect ratio, but I can easily live with that.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Now my menus and loading screens are in a 4:3 aspect ratio, but I can easily live with that.
http://hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Command-Line_Reference#-stretch_menu
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline borizz

Thanks!