Author Topic: BPcomplete very laggy  (Read 2653 times)

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
i have just downloaded the BPcomplete and very excited to play it, but when i run it, the game is very laggy, i am lucky if i even get a frame rate of 15 and is so unplayable. Now i was playing the previous version the other day and it ran smoothly no lag and a steady framerate of 60.

I have the latest video drivers, i am using the version of FSOpen as recommended in the release topic.

My system is
I7-3.40 ghz
16gb memory
Radeaon HD 6670.

Which should be more than enough to play it smoothly, as i said the previous version of BP runs smooth as silk. So not sure what is causing the issue or how to fix it as i want to play the masterpiece again with the voice acting.
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Please disable shadows and delete the advanced packs if you have them. A Radeon 6670 is not fast enough for those.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
cheers, disabling the Shadows has done the trick :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Shadows should be off by default. If we can't do that build-side, can we ship an update to core that makes them turn off somehow?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
can we ship an update to core that makes them turn off somehow?
Sorry, there's currently no mod-side way to disable shadows.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline m!m

Shadows should be off by default, it's just causing too many issues for too many users. Deferred lighting should be fine though because the engine correctly handles systems that can't handle it and for those that do it might even improve performance.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Quick patch hacked up to disable shadows by default, and replace -disable_shadows with -enable_shadows.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

I have other problem. When playing WiH I'm getting regular 1-2 sec screen freezes especially durning mission "My Brother, My Enemy" and "The Intervention", dunno about next missions, haven't played them yet. . It's very annoying. I don't have any other issues with fps. I can record video if needed. I'm using advanced pack. I had no problems durning AoA.
My rig:
GTX 660ti 2GB
Phenom II x4 3,2Ghz
8GB DDR 3 1333mhz
latest nvidia drivers

Settings from wXLauncher:
D:\Program Files (x86)\GOG.com\Freespace 2\fs2_open_3_7_3_SSE2_20151103_0ea25e7.exe -mod
bpcomplete,mediavps_2014 -nomotiondebris -missile_lighting -3dshockwave -post_process -soft_particles -fxaa
-nolightshafts -fb_explosions -disable_shadows -targetinfo -orbradar -rearm_timer -ship_choice_3d -snd_preload
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 05:00:51 pm by god1like »

WiH is more VRAM intensive with the advanced pack than AoA. From my own run, my 290X was using 1500-2500MB. The first solution I'd think of would be simply removing the advanced pack(back it up somewhere if you want it for an AoA rerun).

FSO doesn't do multicore atm so if you have some kind of turbo option on your processor that ups single core clocks at the cost of other cores try using that for a small boost in performance.

I'd also recommend turning off missile lighting. It shouldn't matter in "My brother, my enemy" but in larger battles with a huge amount of torpedoes, missiles, and bombs in the sky it can hurt your performance for almost negligent boost in quality.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Removing advanced pack doesn't change anything. I'm getting freezes on "The Intervention" when there's nothing on the screen. Tried other nighty builds SSE and nonSSE still no change. My vram usage without adv. pack is at 1250mb.

Offline leoben

The E - time to OpenGL->Vulkan, yes?  :nod:

Congratz on the release guys, amazing work!

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
If you release the SDKs, we'll start to code :)
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline leoben

It's up to Khronos now...

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Removing advanced pack doesn't change anything. I'm getting freezes on "The Intervention" when there's nothing on the screen. Tried other nighty builds SSE and nonSSE still no change. My vram usage without adv. pack is at 1250mb.

You could also try reducing the lighting "pips" in the Options -> Detail screen?
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...