Bobboau's original remodeling.
5 (5.6%)
Galemp's bold remapping.
69 (76.7%)
I never liked the Orion anyway...
10 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 73

Voting closed: October 10, 2005, 03:49:19 am

Author Topic: The Ultimate Orion  (Read 32350 times)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Not always... some judicious dividing of polies and edges, turning edges, and negative-dimension extrusions could do it. It takes more time but you end up with cleaner geometry, and you have more control.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Depends on how and where you use booleans..

I sometimes cut and add lines manually, but I very often use booleans (of course, I prepare the both objects before hte process)
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by StratComm
All of the little cutouts and depressions would have made use of booleans, IIRC.  And that Orion had a ton of those.

Nope.  Plenty of tools; extrude, shrink shape, for example.  Or create the object and manually create joining polys between it and the hull (after deleting the 'holding' poly).  Or slice, or use the editable poly tools to subdivide edges.

Loads of different ways.  I've not used a boolean in literally years; not using max atall, and only in TS to create debris from my blender-origin models.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
It's the circle-out-of-square cutouts that present the challenge, and that I was really refering to.  Ryx's Orion has a ton of those, and to the best of my knowledge there's only two good ways to go about doing them.  One is the method you described, which is manually creating the connecting faces.  The other is Booleans.  And given that those types of polys account for maybe 30% of all polys on a region where they are employed, and the render-quality level that Ryx was going for, the amount of work to do it correctly vastly exceeds the drawbacks of using Booleans.  As long as they work.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Does anyone know why Slice (or boolean for that matter) in Max insists on creating all those seemingly random vertices all the way along your new edge?
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
It's the circle-out-of-square cutouts that present the challenge, and that I was really refering to.  Ryx's Orion has a ton of those, and to the best of my knowledge there's only two good ways to go about doing them.  One is the method you described, which is manually creating the connecting faces.  The other is Booleans.  

I don't know. I used to use booleans to do that too, and just accepted the hellish geometry. Then I tried the manual faces thing. Now I just create the shape offset from the surface its going to be connected to and just loft a bridge. Perfect, clean geometry, all of three mouse clicks. Between that and the stencil/slice/tunnel/core, the drawbacks of booleans by far outweight the speed.
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Originally posted by Black Wolf
Does anyone know why Slice (or boolean for that matter) in Max insists on creating all those seemingly random vertices all the way along your new edge?

Because Max can only boolean on triangulated surfaces.  Those random vertices correspond to the division lines on 4+ sided faces as Max defines them, which can be pretty arbitrary.

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Offline Boomer

Holy ****!

*bows down before the beauty of this ship*

Galemp, THIS is an Orion.

Particularly to me.  While I liked Bobboau's original, I always felt that is was the texturing that made the orion special not the model.  You have truly proven that point here.  

(although the cargo textures are a little out of place...)

but that's an easy fix.

But keep it up!:D
Viva la UBERBOMB!

"I have no gods, only questions." -Me

A man once came to me and asked me to express a profound thought.  I told him.....<Static>...

Look on the bright side, it looks absolutely nothing like a penis.-Turambar

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Beyond exquisite!

But it still needs proper turrets.
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Are these any better?

The difference being of course that the girders no longer contain black backgrounds and don't show up as much.  I'm still not quite 100% satisfied with the texture, but it's better enough for me to accept this Orion into the fleet.  I've also added in the blue runway lights that can be seen in FS1's cb_galatea.ani, though I doubt anyone would notice this change.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
I just had an orgasm.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Now with added blue-girder goodness!

I added a Bastion and Galatea model, so now the main campaign and the port can have the same model for the "special" Orions as for the generic ones.  I also made a proper white glow, rather than using the sun glow, and included all of the glows on the off chance someone doesn't have them.  And, most importantly, I matched the Max_POF_Radius with the original Orion one, so now it will actually jump in at the correct location and with the correct timing so it's truely drop-and-go.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I've also added in the blue runway lights that can be seen in FS1's cb_galatea.ani
Are they animated? :)

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
If by animated, you mean that they flow down the runway, then yes.  How else would I do it?  I already had the spacing worked out because of the way that I did them on the old conversion of Bob's Orion (which became very obsolete when GE remapped the runway) so all I had to do was slide the coordinates over.

Though I'm really just impressed that someone actually recognised what I was talking about.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
:shaking:

Blue runway lights...high-poly goodness.

Need more screenies!
-C

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Though I'm really just impressed that someone actually recognised what I was talking about.
That was the first thing I wanted when animated textures were implemented.  I didn't know until know that someone had actually done it. :)

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Oh, it's unfortunately not an animated texture.  The same issue applies to this orion that has to every instance before it; the runway map is used in a thousand places across the ship and animating it would make the whole thing look like a disco.  Never mind the fact that the map is tiled, so that wouldn't work anyway.  If GE wants to reconvert it with the capacity to do that (one planar map on the runway of the exact dimensions of the textured area and a unique texture), then I'm all for throwing together the animation.  But for now I've implimented it as the same sequence of glowpoints as you see in that animation, though without the ambient glow that they cast there.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2005, 09:36:30 pm by 570 »

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Hmm

An Orion Disco.

Welcome to... potential short campaigns.

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Been done already...sorta :p
And may I add: well done to Bob and Galemp and more recently StratComm!
You've combined a brilliant high detail model with incredibly well used textures. I really love how complex it looks now - really gives an ISD sense of scale to the behemoth. :) :yes:
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Hey VA, what's the news on your HTL release?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!