Author Topic: Starshatter Downloads Page  (Read 150955 times)

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Re: Starshatter Downloads Page
download for game  :nervous:IS DOWN :nervous: by the way

EDIT: sorry, couldn't resist the capslock urger  :lol:   Never got into that game myself, too unpolished
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Until it goes back up...

you can use the gamesupdates.org mirror.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
or freespacemods but someone should add those mirrors to the first post
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Vas709

Hello guys, I have come here to tell you that the guest has uploaded many Starshatter Mods on spacesimcentral.com and I failed to download the mod. Also the picture is needed so we can see if the mods are pretty good or not. And guest cannot upload mods to that site too! Is there any more mods for downloading from the Spacesimcentral? Thank you.

Vasja Stojkovic

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
I'd like to go ahead and remove the new starshatter exe from fsmods. It seems like the google code page will probably have the latest and greatest.

Acceptable?
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Perhaps you could link the FS Mods page to the Google Code page? This would keep everything, or links to everything, in one conveniant location.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Hi there, Having a do at installing the game on my comp XP service pack 3. 
I have followed the instructions and used all links provided on the original post. 
However when i go to luanch the .EXE i get the following error.

"This applicatoin failed to start becuase d3dx9_43.dll was not found.  Re-installing the application may fix this problem"

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Bogus.

Offline Echelon9

I have followed the instructions and used all links provided on the original post. 

"This applicatoin failed to start becuase d3dx9_43.dll was not found.  Re-installing the application may fix this problem"

Bogus.

Please ensure that you have the latest DirectX installed on your PC. A quick Google search should find it on the Microsoft website.
I think there's a command you can type into the "Start" -> "Run" box called 'dxdiag' that will bring up details of any DirectX installed.

Offline Treelor

Bogus.

In case you didn't catch on from Echelon's reply, if a program ever complains about missing d3d9 or d3dx9 or anything like that - your direct X is out of date.
hi

Crikeys, i was under the impression it was up to date - I guess it isn't.  Thanks for setting me straight

Hi there... late to the party but I thought I would give this a try. A couple questions.

First does anyone know how to "Disable Desktop Composition" under Windows 8

Second I am not sure about this "New Starshatter Executable" as to if it is still needed.

http://freespacemods.net/download.php?view.838

Thanks

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Not sure if it's needed with the new exec, but if it is, Google is your friend:

https://www.google.com/search?q=disable+desktop+composition+for+a+program+in+windows+8

First three results:

http://superuser.com/questions/581673/disable-desktop-composition-in-windows-8-force-it

Microsoft says that DWM is always on in Windows 8 but that's not true. WinPE4 (tiny Windows 8) has no DWM. Actually, DWM is on because of Metro so if you disable DWM the Start Screen will turn black and you can't see anything. Winlogon.exe spawns a new DWM.exe process so if you kill DWM.exe it restarts.

Solution?

Use PSSuspend.exe or Process Explorer from sysinterals.com
Follow the command line instructions for PSSuspend
If you're using GUI Process Explorer than right click on the winlogon.exe process and click Suspend. Then, kill DWM.exe.

http://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/141175

This is to disable desktop composition in windows 8 and 8.1.

This does not apply to:
Fullscreen users (not windowed borderless)
Other operating systems (Desktop composition is a lot easier to disable in other operating systems)

Use Process Explorer and run it as Administrator

Do the following steps in order:

KILL explorer.exe

SUSPEND winlogon.exe
[This is so you can do the next step without it re-opening automatically]

KILL dwm.exe
[This is what you don't want to be running, it's the desktop windows manager and has desktop composition. this gets in the way]

RUN explorer.exe
[File > Run... in Process Explorer, allows opengl to be used and basic OS navigations excluding metro start menu]

RESUME winlogon.exe when you want dwm.exe back (or restart)
[You may have to kill explorer again and suspend winlogon.exe again to get it to be resumeable]

The benefit to doing this is a dramatic reduction in cursor latency.
The downfall is the start menu goes to black and can't be used at all.

This has actually become very safe and easier to do. Now I really do recommend it to anyone on Windows 8 / 8.1

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2174898

A humble animator reaches out to XDA..

Switching to Windows 8 destroys the ability to use one of the most streamlined and dynamic animation programs ever made.
Macromedia's Flash MX ( Version 6 ) Why this version? It's the version before Adobe bought it, and messed with the brush engine. Pressure
sensitive brush lines are amazing, sharp, and precise compared to later Adobe versions. Many cartoonists prefer drawing in it.

Flash's vector engine clashes with Windows "glass" and DWM composition though. The program works fine, but in Windows 7, one must
disable desktop composition in compatibility settings, or navigating through to edit a symbol is incredibly slowed down. ( by about 500%! )

So, in switching to Windows 8, disabling DWM is not possible any longer, and thus - working in Flash 6 is broken forever.

Has anyone managed to turn off DWM in Win 8 through any kind of hack, or using old DWM code?
Help! Flash isn't the only app affected by this!

Cry.. sob.. etc..
Originally Posted by phailyoor  View Post
Steps:
use process explorer
kill explorer.exe
winlogon.exe
kill dwm.exe
use command line to delete/move dwm.exe
unsuspend winlogon.exe
!!!
profit???

BTW, you will have to replace dwm.exe before rebooting or logging off, or you will have bricked your installation
Don't run explorer, or else bad things will happen. Ex7 for windows 8 will work fine.

Wow! This does in fact work.. without rebooting.
That last step of deleting / moving dwm.exe not necessary.

I used process explorer to:
open cmd.exe
kill explorer.exe
SUSPEND winlogon.exe
kill dwm.exe
in cmd: run flash.exe

when done: unsuspend winlogon.exe - everything returns to normal.

Now if I can only automate this. Hmm.. maybe I can try and whip something up in autoit or autohotkey so that this can all be done on the fly for any
particular app..

Thanks!
Bad things might happen if you leave winlogon suspended for too long, that's why the move dwm step exists

So. I'm running WinXP SP3 and I'm having an issue. I followed the instructions, but I keep getting an error. I'm missing d3dx_43.dll. Any suggestions on what I should do?
Callsign "RADAR"

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Find an old direct x redistributable package and install it  -  to save download size, newer versions of direct x didn't have all of the old. Dll files.

Try 8.1 iirc,  and  9.0c
Or  (better idea)  Google which direct x package you will need to install to get that file.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 11:50:47 am by jr2 »

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
What the heck is direct contact?
Is it like direct X?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Auto corrected, I meant direct x. Sorry.

Offline Coolio

Hello, is the project still alive?

The 7z contains the game is corrupted :<

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Just tested all 3 files in the OP; all come back clean -- so the corruption was during download; try re-downloading, and, if it's still corrupting, try using a download manager like Free Download Manager and see if that helps (that's what I use).