Author Topic: [WIP] ORCo Abraham  (Read 4067 times)

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I've been trying to keep this private, but as this baby grows up very fast I feel I need to share it and listen some opinions :D

Ladies and gentelmens, The Abraham:
ORCo Abraham (View in 3D)

Insanely detailed for my standards, this thing is an Abraham-class Colony Ship - destroyer sized behmoth to support large population along with agricultural decks and thousands of hibernation capsules onboard. Basicly a flying city and one of the most important models that I need for Mystery Project. I have 1/3 of this detailed. It will feature civilian city-like interiors, some of the agricultural decks will be visible as well.

With 120k polys it's intended to have, this model will be my opus magnum for now. In opposite to Scylla or Solomon I showed in celebration thread, Abraham have 100% magnifold mesh for now.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
You certainly have been working a lot lately  :). I feel that the general shape is really good and the details are great.  :yes:
However, there are two things I'm not very fond of: the V shape cut into the rear part, and the front "thingy" that hangs from the "nose". To me, they both cut the flow of the model shape, though I suspect there's a reason for the front one. Maybe making it thicker would look a bit better.

EDIT: and don't pay so much attention to the model "manifoldness". Manifold meshes are good for organic shapes that will be animated and stuff like that but in this case it will just add extra polys. Good use of non-manifolds is actually a positive thing for such detailed ships.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 03:36:12 pm by The Dagger »

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Thanks for constructive criticism :). As for the V, I never rethinked it so much. Overall shape was inspired by this accidently googled artwork:

It's pretty small, and I was unable to define what this "V" really is, so it became part of the engine cover. TBH I have no idea what to do with this, so any ideas are welcome.
And as for the second part, do you mean this thing with 6 pipes and long antennae poking our from the front? It's navigation of the ship.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
OK, now I got this. That ship is from After Earth.
Here's your pic in higher resolution
That ship is actually only a third of the real thing. Three ensambled ships look like this. There's a lateral view of a single ship in there as well.

Anyway, you can follow these concepts or not, you have a good model already. I only posted them to give you more ideas.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Interesting. Alrough this concept is very cool, the Abraham is already  independent starship. I'm admiring creativity of original concept autor :yes: .
Each one of the three components of this thing looks like different ships, and while I know they are all the same, they looks different on the full size artwork. I might consider modelling another ship of similar lines in the future.

For now, consider the Abraham as independent vessel. I want to follow the lines I have, just because I like how it turned :). Cover of the engines will be remodelled as I see the V thing is something different than I imagined.