Author Topic: Crash on startup  (Read 2494 times)

Hello, I am new here, so forgive me if I break etiquette somehow. I am trying to run Freespace Open on Mac OS X, but the launcher crashes before it can even getting to the opening. This seemed to start happening right after I had tried (perhaps stupidly) to play the Diaspora Shattered Armistice mod through wxlauncher like it was a normal mod, rather than opening it from the Diaspora folder. Still, I do not understand why the launcher now crashes EVERY time I try to play ANY mod. These are mods that worked fine in the past, and to my knowledge I am not trying to do anything different. I did try to reinstall Diaspora and launch it like you're supposed to, but it still crashed. I will attach the fs2_open.log file from the debug build (3.7.5.20160619) for when I try to launch fs2 with the 2014 media vps as an example, and would much appreciate it if someone helped.
   I did try to find similar topics, but to no avail.

[attachment DELETED!! by Strong Bad]

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
It looks like one of your VPs is corrupt, try renaming or deleting this file: /Applications/Freespace 2 3.7.5/MediaVPs_2014/MV_RadarIcons.vp

Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Deleting the RadarIcons file did not help. I suppose I should not have expected it to; perhaps I should have mentioned that the problem occurs even when I try to run Freespace 2 without the mediavps. Everything I try just crashes.
   Would it have anything to do with switching between older and newer builds? Or switching profiles on the launcher? I mean, I'm not even totally sure that Diaspora is to blame here, but those are the only other things I could think of. Both of them seem like a long shot though. I wish I could be more help, but I do not think I can.

Offline Yarn

Create and post another log without the MediaVPs, in case that reveals anything else that might be wrong.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Would it have anything to do with switching between older and newer builds? Or switching profiles on the launcher?
No. This is exceedingly unlikely to ever cause problems; we really do need another debug log to be able to help you.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Okay, attached is a log of trying to startup with no mods at all. In case it confuses you, I should probably mention that I did change the folder, but it is still in Applications. Had to make a new one because I think I somehow tricked the old one into thinking it was an executable or something. I don't know. Its contents should be the same though.
   I also tried reinstalling Freespace 2 as well as all the mediavps and running from a different folder on the desktop earlier, but that did not work either.
   I really messed it up lol. Maybe it is something with the launcher, since that is the only thing I have not tried totally redownloading or resetting somehow. But I would not know.
   Thanks for trying to help.

[attachment DELETED!! by Strong Bad]

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Code: [Select]
Building file index...
Searching root '/Users/Joesaccount/Library/FS2_Open/' ... 100 files
Searching root '/Applications/Freespace 2 Latest/' ... 26 files
Found 2 roots and 126 files.
You're missing the FreeSpace 2 VP files.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Well, that seems exceedingly stupid of me. Let me try to fix that.

Well, I must admit that that seems to have solved the problem. I have no idea how/when I lost those files, but it was probably my fault. I have to say that I appreciate the help. I will now go hide and in a corner. To think I was about to blame the launcher...
   Maybe this topic should be deleted, because I doubt it will help anyone else, but I understand that that is not usually the customary thing to do here?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I understand that that is not usually the customary thing to do here?

Correct, but please don't feel too embarrassed.  Things like this can happen to anyone.  ;)

:welcome: