Author Topic: Crashing on Obit Rescue Mission  (Read 5059 times)

Crashing on Obit Rescue Mission
Hi, rather new here. I'm getting a recurring crash on the Obit Rescue Mission (not sure which mission number that is, if it counts as 2, or 1.5 because it's optional or what), but basically the briefing loads in and I click Commit, then the small video of the Theseus over the planet plays, and right as it fades to black and the mission is about to start-- boom, crash to desktop. I tried tinkering with the settings, but to no avail. Really itching to get back to playing the game but as of right now I cannot because of this crash. Please let me know what info you guys need (what graphics card I have, what the error message says, whatever), again I'm new here so I'm not sure how you guys go about these bug reports.

Thanks for the great game, content-wise! It's astoundingly accurate to the show.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Re: Crashing on Obit Rescue Mission
Please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.

That should help us figure out what might be going wrong here.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Thanks! I'll do that after breakfast

So, this is considerably after breakfast, but when I load the debugger build, the game just won't even load. I can launch it, go to the briefing, but while the mission is loading, it gets to about two bars/dots and then stops. The entire program becomes unresponsive, so... how can I get the fs2_open.log file?

It should be located in Diaspora/data/.

Ok, I found it, but I didn't actually get to the point where it crashes, so will the file still help?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
The debug build runs significantly slower than the normal build especially during mission load.  How long did you let it run for?  I'd suggest waiting for at least 5-10 mins (maybe even 15) and don't close FSO if Windows says that it's unresponsive. It should become responsive again once it has finished loading everything.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Oh wow, ok. I let it go for maybe 5 minutes, but I guess I'll let it do its thing...

Ok loaded quite fast this time, here's the fs2_open.log file (attached)

[attachment deleted by an evil time traveler]

That is the right file, right?

I should mention I'm getting an error saying "Malloc Failed"

Malloc Failed!

ntdll.dll! ZwWaitForSingleObject + 21 bytes
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObjectEx + 67 bytes
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObject + 18 bytes
fs2_open_Diaspora_R1.exe! <no symbol>
ntdll.dll! RtlImageNtHeader + 782 bytes
ig7icd32.dll! DllMain + 194765 bytes

Another error:

Unable to pack vertex buffer for 'Col_BS_Sobek.pof'

ntdll.dll! ZwWaitForSingleObject + 21 bytes
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObjectEx + 67 bytes
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObject + 18 bytes
ntdll.dll! RtlFreeHeap + 126 bytes

« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 07:16:52 pm by SasoDuck »

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
OK, you've got an Intel Video card which technically isn't supported by Diaspora.

Code: [Select]
Initializing OpenGL graphics device at 1600x900 with 32-bit color...
  Initializing WGL...
  Requested WGL Video values = R: 8, G: 8, B: 8, depth: 24, stencil: 8, double-buffer: 1
  Actual WGL Video values    = R: 8, G: 8, B: 8, depth: 24, stencil: 8, double-buffer: 1
  OpenGL Vendor    : Intel
  OpenGL Renderer  : Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
  OpenGL Version   : 3.3.0 - Build 8.15.10.2618

You might be able to run the mission by disabling shader support.  To do that, select the following option in the Launcher:

Advanced Settings Tab -> Troubleshoot -> Disable GLSL (shader) support  (aka -no_glsl).

Alternatively, if you have a laptop with switchable graphics (e.g. Nvidia Optimus) you need to select Diaspora to run on the more powerful card.

Lastly you seem to be playing the 1.0 version of Diaspora. I'd recommend updating to the latest 1.1 patch.
----
----

OK, you've got an Intel Video card which technically isn't supported by Diaspora.

Don't tell me that! :'(

But hey, disabled shaders and lo and behold, it WORKS! Thanks a ton, and I actually think it looks better without the shaders. The Theseus looks a bit more real imo being flat metal than super reflective.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I'm glad its working for you now :)

And keep in mind that 1.1 patch, I think there are a few issues in later missions that you might run into.
----
----

Crap. Mission 2 works now, but Mission 3 is getting the same error as Mission 2 was. Guess the shaders weren't a permanent fix :/

What kind of issues is the 1.1 patch having? (downloading that now)

If nothing else, can I tell Diaspora to run off my Intel Integrated HD Graphics card? Might look ****tier but at least would be supported, right?

Ok, here's the .log for this crash... groan

[attachment deleted by an evil time traveler]

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
At least one other person had some luck with turning down the graphics settings. You could try that to see if it helps?

edit: derp! messed up the url tags...
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 03:03:39 am by niffiwan »
----
----

I'll report back.

Is this a fairly common issue, then?
Out of curiosity, if NVIDIA isn't supported, and Intel isn't supported, what IS supported? :P Just AMD?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Uhh... where did I say that Nvidia isn't supported? :p

Both AMD and Nvidia cards are supported. Intel cards often work if shaders are disabled. I think that's about all the 3D card vendors we need to worry about these days.
----
----

Uhh... where did I say that Nvidia isn't supported? :p

Both AMD and Nvidia cards are supported. Intel cards often work if shaders are disabled. I think that's about all the 3D card vendors we need to worry about these days.

... wow. I must be really tired. Read your original reply as NVIDIA.
So... maybe if I force Diaspora to run off my NVIDIA card,* it will work? Why would it be trying to use my integrated Intel card, that makes no sense :P

*how would I do that?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 02:50:52 am by SasoDuck »

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I haven't used a switchable graphics card computer. I think the settings are in Nvidia control panel, and you need specify the names / locations of executables (both release and debug!) that you want to run in "performance" mode.

(hopefully someone else around here who has one of these setups can offer better advice on how to do this)
----
----