Author Topic: Changing the Default keyboard commands  (Read 4208 times)

Offline Talon 1024

• How do you turn this on?
    • Mods, Games, and Stuff
Changing the Default keyboard commands
<AD> And the default keyboard controls are retarded
<KC-1024> You can remap the keyboard commands
<AD> I don't get why the basics aren't mapped the same as pretty much every WC game
<AD> so what
<AD>  I shouldn't have to
:mad:

Is there a way you can change the default keyboard commands so you don't have to go into Options and remap all the keys?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 10:20:43 pm by Talon 1024 »
To understand religion, you need to understand morality first. | WCSaga website | WCSaga Forum | 158th website | 158th forum | Project Leader: WC: Hostile Frontier | WCHF Thread at CIC | Wing Blender | Twist of Fate | Multipart turrets on angled surfaces, tutorial included. | My Google Drive stuff | To convert speeds from WC to WCS, multiply both the cruise speed and the Afterburner speed by 0.15625 (5/32)

FS2 Mods I'm waiting on: Inferno 10th Anniversary
Current Project: Contestant Android app, Learn4Life iOS app, Blender Commander (importer).
The FreeSpace Font Foundry is back in action!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Changing the Default keyboard commands
Not at the moment. Maybe after Taylor finishes his new pilot code in 3.7 it might be worth a look but right now any solution anyone else implemented might conflict with what he's doing there.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
The current plan is to take control mappings out of the pilot file altogether.  Instead, that stuff will be moved to the new profile.ini setup, where you will be able to have default mappings, mappings per mod, and mods can provide their own default mappings as well.  Also, since this is a simple ini file, it will be easy to edit by hand.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Not at the moment. Maybe after Taylor finishes his new pilot code in 3.7 it might be worth a look but right now any solution anyone else implemented might conflict with what he's doing there.

Didn't you kinda do that with the BtRL demo? I mean, include a pilot file with a name like "CloneMe" or "Default-Layout" that has the keyboard set to more of a Wing Commander-style layout, and somehow make the instructions and explanation easily noticeable during the installation so that most people can figure out that they can clone and rename the piloe with Wing Commander-style layout.

That said, I have to say that people who don't want to remap controls of the game to what they would prefer and actually claim that the controls should already be set to their preference because they shouldn't have to do it is rather ridiculous... Clearly this person has never bought a DS product... :drevil:
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Talon 1024

• How do you turn this on?
    • Mods, Games, and Stuff
The current plan is to take control mappings out of the pilot file altogether.  Instead, that stuff will be moved to the new profile.ini setup, where you will be able to have default mappings, mappings per mod, and mods can provide their own default mappings as well.  Also, since this is a simple ini file, it will be easy to edit by hand.

So I just include a profile.ini in my mod folder and then the keys will be remapped?

But from what Herra Tohtori was saying...  It sounds like you have to call your pilot a specific name for it to work.  :nervous:
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 10:55:34 am by Talon 1024 »
To understand religion, you need to understand morality first. | WCSaga website | WCSaga Forum | 158th website | 158th forum | Project Leader: WC: Hostile Frontier | WCHF Thread at CIC | Wing Blender | Twist of Fate | Multipart turrets on angled surfaces, tutorial included. | My Google Drive stuff | To convert speeds from WC to WCS, multiply both the cruise speed and the Afterburner speed by 0.15625 (5/32)

FS2 Mods I'm waiting on: Inferno 10th Anniversary
Current Project: Contestant Android app, Learn4Life iOS app, Blender Commander (importer).
The FreeSpace Font Foundry is back in action!

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
None of that will be in 3.6.10 even. Taylor is talking about changes that will only occur in 3.7.

HT on the other hand is talking about something we could have done in BtRL but as far as I'm aware, didn't. The Nugget pilot file was included for reasons to do with preventing the UI being impossible to manage if you started in 640x480 instead of as a default pilot mapping.

Now if you were to include a pilot called Clone-Me so the players could clone it, you could expect about 30% of the players to clone it, 20% to ignore it completely, 30% to miss it and restart or even reinstall the game to do it correctly and 10% to complain at you on the forums about the whole process. :p

I know that's only 90% BTW. You can't predict how some people will cock things up.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
aside from joystick mappings i just perfer the fs2 defaults. it occured to me that freespace had too many controls and trying to improve the keyboard mappings would be a lesson in futility. on the other hand i mapped alot of other space sims to use the fs2 style layout.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Me too.

But mods like BtRL and WCS would probably benefit from mapping the thruster and glide controls to something a little more obvious

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i cant wait for thruster axes so i can give the thumbstick on my ch pro throttle something to do :D
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN