Author Topic: [Request] more parameters for shields  (Read 1992 times)

Offline Zarax

[Request] more parameters for shields
Hi,
Customizing shields properly right now requires massive changes of armor and weapons tables.
While flexible, this opens the road to bugs and adds a new balancing layer difficult to manage for less experienced modders.
For example, right now for a shield to be effective against beams requires creating new armor, damage categories and changes to every single beam in game.

Would it be possible to add at least basic damage absorption parameters specifically for shields?

Regards and thanks for your time!
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Re: [Request] more parameters for shields
Technically, you only have to add it to beams that will ever hit that shield... and modular tables make this really easy to do. I'm not saying something like this will never happen (FSO is open source, after all, so anybody can add any feature they want), but it's... unlikely, given that you're basically asking for a slightly different take on a feature we already have. That's not really a high priority for anyone.

Now, making features we already have more user-friendly is something we like to do (when we can), and it sounds like your main problem is the amount of typing you have to do to do what you want. Perhaps it would make sense to have some way for specifying a default damage type for an entire category of weapons (e.g. a single line to give the same damage type to every single beam weapon). It might dovetail nicely with some ideas I've had for extending modular tables, but if I do it that way it'd probably take even longer to see any results...
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Zarax

Well, it's more about resurrecting a very old flag (there was around 10 years ago a build in which you could have shields absorbing beam fire) than about the typing amount.
IMHO it makes only sense that shields are treated separately from armor but of course a coder's opinion has much more weight than that of an old poster :)
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
We still have that flag.  Just add "no pierce shields" to the $Flags entry.

Offline Zarax

Thanks, in which table file?
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
He's talking about the weapons.tbl flag. AFAIK there has never been a ships.tbl flag to cause that specific ship's shields, and no others, to absorb beam fire.

IMHO it makes only sense that shields are treated separately from armor but of course a coder's opinion has much more weight than that of an old poster :)
Shields are treated separately from hull, but both can have their own armor type. Just because it's called "armor" doesn't mean it literally has to do with armor plating.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME

<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
(...)
<MageKing17> so

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Zarax

Well, the no pierce shields flag is what I was talking about, IIRC it was introduced in some version around 10 years ago (at that time it was an installer option) and it simplifies a lot what I'm trying to do (basically making a beam resistant Lucifer).
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
If Lucifer is the only big ship with shields, you can, in theory, try giving every anti-cap beam that flag, counting on the fact that fighter shields are too weak for it to have a noticeable effect on them and on anti-fighter beams being to weak to do noticeable damage to Lucifer. This is remarkably simple to do, but bear in mind that it'd result in Lucifer's shield letting anti-fighter beams go through, which could, depending on mission design and the shield mesh you use, be jarring. An egg-shaped mesh would make this effect particularly pronounced, while for a form-fitting mesh (or surface shields) this wouldn't be an issue. It's a hackish solution, but if you're not making any other drastic changes, it should work.

Offline Zarax

Yes, that's exactly what I'm doing using the surface shield flag.
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
If you're adding a flag to every beam anyway, it's not much more typing to add a damage type to them all.

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
It does require wrapping your head around Armor.tbl, though, and while it's not hard to understand, I can see why someone who's mostly a FREDer would prefer a simpler way. Damage types are a more elegant solution, though.