Author Topic: FS2 not installing  (Read 7535 times)

Offline m!m

jg18 thank you for your recommendation. I got the dmg and got the FS2_Open 3.7.4 from the link you gave me. The wxlauncher worked well. The flags were there and was able to launch the game.

There is still one glitch, the screen is not centered. what I mean is sometimes half of the game is outside the actual screen and sometimes it is inside the screen (mostly) but the mouse can't go all the way to the edges.

I tried different resolutions none of them worked, you can check the attached pictures to know what I mean

Edit: these a full screen shots
Do you have a Retina display? FSO 3.7.4 can't handle high DPI displays correctly which may explain your issue.

Yes I do have retina display, is there any way to "turn it off"

No, you can't turn off Retina. It's the hardware, not the software. Retina displays have insanely high PPI (pixels per inch) for their size. It's supposed to make everything more crisp and less prone to aliasing, but FSO doesn't play nicely with it yet.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Some discussion on Mac / Windows high-DPI here:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=7062388

Not sure if it's new information for anyone but I thought it interesting.

Ok here is something I tried hope it could shed some light on what is happening.
I connected my laptop to an old LCD screen and a 42" TV screen, the game worked perfectly even on the laptop screen. On the LCD screen it was mirrored, so I got 2 perfectly adjusted game screens on both. When I plugged it to the TV I only got the game on my laptop screen but also perfect resolution (I think the difference between both screens was I used different ports, HDMI and thunderbolt, and each having different settings)

Do you think this would help?

UPDATE:
Plugging the screen, running the game (it runs well), then unplugging the screen would keep the game in the right resolution.
Trying to run it again without a screen gives the same problem as before
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 09:33:42 am by pjreijiri »

Anyone has an idea on how to fix this?
It is a bit un-practical to plug a screen in and out every time I want to play the game

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
I wonder if playing in window or fullscreen window mode might help with the issue?

I mean, if it's a problem with fullscreen mode on that particular display, then it's at least worth checking if it might work if you're playing in a window on top of the regular desktop environment. Fullscreen window is basically a borderless window that is the same size as the display.

I think there should be options for window and fullscreen window in the launcher you use, but the custom command line tag options for them are -window and -fullscreen_window respectively.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

it is not affected by the window or fullscreen mode