Author Topic: i hate antifighter beams  (Read 7455 times)

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Re: i hate antifighter beams
Wait what the ****! Weapons subsys damage alters beam accuracy?

... Wait what, you did not know this?

Even I knew that. Well, sort of. I knew that destroying the weapons subsystem reduced turret accuracy. I didn't know it scaled with health.

I'd always been under the impression it only affected blob turrets, not flak or AAA, and was therefore pretty useless.

In my experience killing the weapons subsystem did absolutely nothing. Bombs were always shot down just as easily despite the game telling me what would occur otherwise. Even in FS1.

Beams are supposed to be annoying as ****, though. It'd be nice if friendly AI didn't happily fly headfirst into a beam, but there you go. I'm fairly certain it was intended that some modicum of strategy was to be used in dealing with turrets. It was never exactly highlighted like it was in Blue Planet, especially War in Heaven, but to me disabling turrets to create a pocket is just the natural thing to do.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline potterman28wxcv

• Just a fan player
Wait what the ****! Weapons subsys damage alters beam accuracy?

... Wait what, you did not know this?

Even I knew that. Well, sort of. I knew that destroying the weapons subsystem reduced turret accuracy. I didn't know it scaled with health.

I'd always been under the impression it only affected blob turrets, not flak or AAA, and was therefore pretty useless.

In my experience killing the weapons subsystem did absolutely nothing. Bombs were always shot down just as easily despite the game telling me what would occur otherwise. Even in FS1.

Beams are supposed to be annoying as ****, though. It'd be nice if friendly AI didn't happily fly headfirst into a beam, but there you go. I'm fairly certain it was intended that some modicum of strategy was to be used in dealing with turrets. It was never exactly highlighted like it was in Blue Planet, especially War in Heaven, but to me disabling turrets to create a pocket is just the natural thing to do.
In the last mission of FS1 in Insane, you really have to destroy Lucifer's weapon subsystem yourself or those bombers have absolutely no chance of making it alive.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
That's true but it doesn't have beams or flak.

That's true, but his point was in response to Cobra's assertion that, in his experience, destroying the weapons' subsystem did nothing, which is blatantly not true and easily verifiable.

RE:beam & flak accuracy & weapons subsystem:
I'm pretty sure flak is affected by the status of Weapons - it's just less noticable due to the flak's natural scatering & AOE.

As for beam weapons, I've never paid too much attention to be honest, usually I go for the beams themselves before going for the Weapons.

EDIT - Actually you know what ? I haven't fired up FSO in like 4-5 months, I might as well just whip up some mission to verify how this all works.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 08:35:03 am by X3N0-Life-Form »

OK, after some testing, flak & blobs are ostensibly affected by the status of the weapons' subsystem.

Beams are also affected, but in a somewhat different way :
- Even with a destroyed subsystem, they still have a chance to hit their target
- When the dice says they miss their target, how much the beam if off target depends the weapons' subsystem's health, much like projectile weapons
- It feels like the beam is more likely to hit when weapons are at full health, although it could simply be that the beam "misses" close enough to the target that the beam hits it anyway

tldr; All turret types are affected by the weapons subsystem's status, but beams get an extra dice roll.

Also, this is completely unrelated, but I apparently need to appologize to the SNTC folks :/

The effect the weapons subsystem has on antifighter beams isn't all that relevant because a slight reduction in their miss probability doesn't matter until the law of large numbers takes effect. You still have to respect them as if they have a 100% hit chance unless you want half your health and a few subsystems gone in one shot. Gambling the whole mission on a 40% chance isn't that much different from gambling it on a 55% chance.

And that's why I like them. They're one of the very few things a good player has to respect. You can launch yourself into a massive furball and get out alive with enough fancy flying, but AAA beams will always remain a threat, no matter how good you are at FS.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 09:44:02 am by FrikgFeek »
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

You can launch yourself into a massive furball and get out alive with enough fancy flying [...]

i refer you to your signature

I've always had this opinion, and I think the way it's handled in nuJAD's endless arcade mode (forget the name off the top of my head) is pretty close to ideal. They fire based on your current heading, something like a second in the the future, with a very obvious tell-tale audio cue to alert the player of danger.