GTF Loki
1 (1.5%)
GTF Ulysses
2 (3%)
Other (specify)
9 (13.6%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Voting closed: March 10, 2003, 01:06:21 pm

Author Topic: "Incoming poll signature, hostile configuration!"  (Read 17095 times)

Offline Petrarch of the VBB

• Koala-monkey
"Incoming poll signature, hostile configuration!"
For these puroposes use the weapon degradation in SS2:

terrible
shoddy
poor
fair

can't remember the rest

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
I guess we're sticking to cannon here, so I have to take the Eyrineses (sp?).  But if you ask for an all-around fighter from any source, but balanced into the game reasonably well, I have to take the SOF Banshee.  Great speed, small profile, great manuverability, excellent compatability and decent bay space.  Not to mention decent armor for an interceptor and an awesome paint job :p

And for those of you who are not regulars here, posting random polls is generally frowned upon, unless it has to do with something genuinely new.  FS2 is an old game, and there isn't much about the actual game that hasn't been talked to death already.  Search really does work wonders if you have some catching up to do.  And rather than starting your own posts all the time, I would suggest commenting in to other people's general posts when you have an opinion to share, unless it is unique enough to warrent its own post.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

• Koala-monkey
Hear hear.
even though I keep posting new threads all the time

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Originally posted by Petrarch of the VBB
even though I keep posting new threads all the time

That was intended for people who don't have a feel for these forums yet.  Once you are no longer a new member and know what does and does not go around here, posting new threads is a good thing.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
though you need to Remember, when searching for old topics and posting/voting on them is evil too. Look into the past, don't participate in it.
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Knight Templar
though you need to Remember, when searching for old topics and posting/voting on them is evil too. Look into the past, don't participate in it.

Correction: Don't post yet another "Cool ship!" post in an old thread. Do post on-topic, relevant replies, as long as you do so with judgement and restraint.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
Percy any day. Can outmaneuver anything, and if you give it a good primary it can eventually take down any capship. Not quickly, but infinite versatility makes up for that.

For pure anticap runs... meh, the Artemis. I still like to be able to turn around and ****, it comes in handy.

Offline neo_hermes

• MmmmmmNode!
  • What the hell are you lookin at?
Hercules MkII, i believe is the best looking Heavy Assault Fighter. looks futuristic seems capable of Almost matching any type of Shivan fighters. Also capable of holding large amounts of Missiles. an excellent upgrade of the hercules if i do say so myself.
Hell has no fury like an0n...
killing threads is...well, what i do best.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
I think the Herc II doesn't have enough firepower to be a true successor to the Hercules. With two extra gun mounts, it would've been an excellent ship.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Raptor

Originally posted by Woolie Wool
I think the Herc II doesn't have enough firepower to be a true successor to the Hercules. With two extra gun mounts, it would've been an excellent ship.

You know, I actually agree with him here....:nervous:

But for me, the Herc2 kind of looks like they took the Herc 1, and kind of half melted it...that droopy nose....:ick

Just my opinon
...There ought to be something surreal about a Zoid offering romantic advice...and yet there is not. It seems perfectly normal that the Liger is giving Bit advice on relationships, and it shouldn't, but it does. Dangit man, you've confused me again.[/I]
NGTM-R review of one of the chapters in my fanfic story :D Story is here! -> 'Ancient Legacies'

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
I've taken the liberty to underline everything not true. Things that are correct are in italics

GTF Myrmidon
Maneuverability: Average
Armor: Average
Manufacturer: RNI Systems
Description: (removed for brevity)
Length: 16 meters
Gun Mounts: 6
Missile Banks: 2
Velocity: 75 m/s
Max Velocity: 140m/s 95 m/s
Afterburn max velocity: 150 135 m/s
Allowed Primary Weapons: Subach HL-7, Akheton SDG, Morning Star, Prometheus S, Prometheus R. UD-8 Kayser
Allowed Secondary Banks: Rockeye, Hornet, Tornado, Tempest, Trebuchet, Stiletto II, EMP Adv., Infyrno, Helios Hornet#Weak
Shields: 390
Hitpoints: 290
Score: 10
Power output (per second): 2.4
Default AI Class: Captain
Countermeasures: 36
Scan Time: 2 seconds
Subsystems: Communication, Navigation, Weapons, Sensors, and Engines.

Which one seems to be the better ship? [/B]

NOTE: Tihis was all attained in FRED2 and FS2
« Last Edit: March 14, 2003, 03:58:24 pm by 681 »
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

• Koala-monkey
Originally posted by StratComm

That was intended for people who don't have a feel for these forums yet.  Once you are no longer a new member and know what does and does not go around here, posting new threads is a good thing.

Ahh, but many of my threads are useless.

I'm late but I don't care.  Me likes the Mara (terran).  That thing is even better than the Shivan version. As for energy problems, real humans don't come in wave after wave, and the AI isn't smart enough to get away.

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
Originally posted by ChronoReverse
I'm late but I don't care.  Me likes the Mara (terran).  That thing is even better than the Shivan version. As for energy problems, real humans don't come in wave after wave, and the AI isn't smart enough to get away.

Mara(terrans) = Mara (shivans)
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline Sheepy

• Raises Hell
  • Mac User
Loki owns you all
Kiss my Fluffy White Ass!

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
The best is the Perseus, not as maneuverable than the Ulysses, but has better warhead capacity and is excellent in dogfight. I always prefer flying intercept and recon fighters rather than bombers or heavy attack.
I also love the Loki, and the Myrmidon, the two Hercules fighters are slow and can be destroyed easily. Armor doesn't replace maneuveriblity.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester

You can dowload a six-gunned Herc II from HLP/Mods if I remember well.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Mara(terrans) = Mara (shivans)

Actually, Mara (terrans) > Mara; just look at the stats. The Terran one is much better, practically a cheat ship. :D

By the way, I was looking at some of the ship models yesterday and just noticed something interesting that I had not seen until now. The Dragon's second primary weapon slot does not shoot just one projectile but three, like the Ursa. It is difficult to see this in the game since the firing points are very, very close to each other, but it is apparent if you open up the file in Modelview. I tried the Dragon mission in FS1 again just to see if I could make out anything there, and the multiple shots are very slightly visible if you look for them carefully.

Also, has anyone tried flying in a Nephilim? Although it only has one primary bank, it fires seven shots out of it. Putting a maxim into that chews up freighters and things like that in a matter of seconds... ;7
« Last Edit: March 18, 2003, 01:13:57 pm by 296 »

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by CP5670
By the way, I was looking at some of the ship models yesterday and just noticed something interesting that I had not seen until now. The Dragon's second primary weapon slot does not shoot just one projectile but three, like the Ursa. It is difficult to see this in the game since the firing points are very, very close to each other, but it is apparent if you open up the file in Modelview. I tried the Dragon mission in FS1 again just to see if I could make out anything there, and the multiple shots are very slightly visible if you look for them carefully.

Also, has anyone tried flying in a Nephilim? Although it only has one primary bank, it fires seven shots out of it. Putting a maxim into that chews up freighters and things like that in a matter of seconds... ;7

Hmm... very interesting ways to make Shivans "stronger".... very interesting....
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

I specified Mara (terran) for a reason ;)

Well, it says somewhere that Shivans rely on primaries more than secondaries, I guess it kinda makes sense for them to carry massive primary firepower (seven shots *shakes head)

I also like the Pegasus.  It may have pathetic firepower, but I can carry five trebuchets (or was that three?) and a Prometheus S and that's enough for me to kick Shivan butt while not worrying about missiles up my tail (even heat-seakers are really easy to shake).