Author Topic: Should the GTVA build a new frigate class of ships?  (Read 52 times)

Offline CT27

Should the GTVA build a new frigate class of ships?
In Freespace terminology, a frigate is a warship that's between a corvette and destroyer in terms of firepower.

After the GTVA has recovered from Capella a little more (though 'recovering' from an apocalyptic level event is a relative term I suppose), should the GTVA develop a new frigate class of warship to add to its fleets?  It could be a Terran one, Vasudan one, or a hybrid design.

Would this be a good idea militarily?

Offline Thisisaverylongusername

• This is fine.
Re: Should the GTVA build a new frigate class of ships?
Between the loss of the Colossus, the anemic firepower of the Hecate, and the aging design of the Orion, the GTVA would need something to fill in the firepower gap in the Terran fleet. Something corvette sized with multiple heavy beams seems like as good a choice as any.
If the opposite of pro is con, then is the opposite of progress Congress?

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
To be fair, they'd need to work on new cruisers. Let's not forget that only two dozen Aeoli were produced (most of which were destroyed during the NTF rebellion and the second Shivan incursion), and the Fenris/Leviathan duo would be all but obsolete in a Post Capella scenario. I'm not saying a frigate wouldn't help, but cruisers should be a priority.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
This is a question of the development of the combined arms strategy of the GTVA going forward.

Having smaller carriers makes sense in the T-V War era when fighters are far more reliant on carrier because they had no shields and no intersystem drives to scale. If the GTVA were able to layer a better logistics, e.g. modular armor, internals and exchangable mission specific externals, fighter formations might become far more veratile than smaller warships.

Additionally, the development of strategies following the admission that the GTVA cannot match ship capital ships, both in numbers and individual fighting strength, and doing so is a fools errant, it might shift capital ships further into a carrier role/logistics role for fighter units.

The only problem of course with rising profile fighters over warships is the issue of the pilot -- can the GTVA "supply" enough pilots to make that viable?
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."