Author Topic: Freespace Music Remixes  (Read 266261 times)

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
Re: Freespace Music Remixes
Yeah, I'm going to try to downplay my excitement, but this is kind of a big deal. I was introduced to Freespace in middle school, looking to expand my collection of descent and the mechassault games. I played freespace1 and 2 both online and offline so much to the exclusion of all other games that certain music you have produced has been etched into my brain. I humbly request, since you are taking requests, that you make some kind of remix for m7_nrml from freespace1, in particular m7_nrml1. This track had a very serious and immersive tone about it, at a point in the game where things were getting pretty serious. I have tried, with the little knowledge I have, to play this song using the piano by ear (can't read sheet music) and have been contemplating how it would sound as a remix/variation for some time.

Another one which I am quite fond of is m2_bttl1 and 2. I can't help resist jerking my head sideways to the beat grinning crazily as I go Vasudan hunting in the asteroid field.

I have an expanded list, as I grew a liking to the overall style of Freespace music (both one and two).

Just in case you're interested(in no particular order):

Freespace1
m2_nrml
m3_bttl1
m4_nrml1 especially the very beginning. Rumbles up in my head every now and again.
m5(general) Worked well with the Arjuna stealth mission like an evil parade
m8_bttl2,3

Freespace2
Brief 5
FS2_Amb_c01 If a portal were to up with a flagship from hell coming through it, this would be the track
Leviticus
Joshua
Exodus  A very signature endgame track

You also made the music for Descent 2? The music for mission 4 (descent) has been branded onto my brain next to the equation m4music = fusion cannon.

Lastly, thanks for all the lasting memories you helped create by adding your sound to a most memorable game.
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

You also made the music for Descent 2? The music for mission 4 (descent) has been branded onto my brain next to the equation m4music = fusion cannon.

If the track listing is to be believed, Dan Wentz did not do the music for D2, unfortunately, because I liked that stuff too, and would have liked to see it updated.
EDIT: On a bit of guidance, it seems that Wentz did do the MIDI music for D2, just not the redbook/CD-audio tracks.

Not that Dan's stuff isn't excellent, because it is, definitely.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 11:24:32 pm by Scourge of Ages »

Offline Danimal

• Parallax Studios

Nice to (kind) of meet you. those remixes are awesome!

question Mr. Dan Wentz: if there was a freespace 3 and you were composing the music what do you think the theme would be? FS2 was definitely something about lost hope and think the music reflected that perfectly :yes:; FS1, well i suppose it's something like a glorious military anthem intertwined with syfy adventure up to the point you meet shivans.

Interesting question... That would probably depend a lot on the story.  Not knowing what it would be, I would probably say it would probably take on a more modern tone, as it's further in the "future". I would probably have to say more "live" voice would be a must too.

-
DW

Offline Danimal

• Parallax Studios
I have a request:

Redo all of the FS2 and FS1 sound tracks, with live ochestras and chiors mixed in.

KTHANKS

P.S. Great work. Thanks for throwing us a bone! ;)

Yeah... that would be a dream come true to be honest.

Thank you!
-
DW

Offline Enzo03

Nice :v: badge you got here :D
21:20:19   SpardaSon21: "hey baby, want to get a good look at my AC/20?
21:20:26   Spoon: I'd hit it like the fist of steiner

Some people are like Slinkies.  They aren't really good or even useful for anything but they always manage to put a little smile on your face when you give them enough of a push down the stairs.

Well it seems that the track listing was not all there was. Wentz did do the MIDI music for D2, just not the redbook/CD-Audio soundtrack. I've edited my above post. Thanks DW!

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie

Nice to (kind) of meet you. those remixes are awesome!

question Mr. Dan Wentz: if there was a freespace 3 and you were composing the music what do you think the theme would be? FS2 was definitely something about lost hope and think the music reflected that perfectly :yes:; FS1, well i suppose it's something like a glorious military anthem intertwined with syfy adventure up to the point you meet shivans.

Interesting question... That would probably depend a lot on the story.  Not knowing what it would be, I would probably say it would probably take on a more modern tone, as it's further in the "future". I would probably have to say more "live" voice would be a must too.

-
DW

There was an interview done not too long ago with one of the original FS story developers (I can't recall his name), and he gave us a few clues as to what story ideas were being thrown around for future games, before the plug got pulled.  The most solid of all was the GTVA going on the offensive against the Shivans, including attacking their homeworld, which they referred to as "Shivan Town".  More in >THIS< thread.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
There was an interview done not too long ago with one of the original FS story developers (I can't recall his name), and he gave us a few clues as to what story ideas were being thrown around for future games, before the plug got pulled.  The most solid of all was the GTVA going on the offensive against the Shivans, including attacking their homeworld, which they referred to as "Shivan Town".  More in >THIS< thread.

I did this interview with Mr. Jason Scott, writer of FreeSpace 2. I'm not sure he was involved in FreeSpace 1 (I would hazard he wasn't as the quality of writing is quite, uh, different in FS1.)

Offline Danimal

• Parallax Studios
"The mystery is often more compelling than the answer."

That sounds so much like him... I really love this quote! Thanks for the link to that interview.  I was with him at those recording sessions in my home town of Chicago and will never forget the experience. For example, only last month I was actually staying across the street from the hotel we were at. Very surreal. 

Quick update, one more (battle 3) section and mission 10 redux is officially in the can! Will then take a short break and start on the rest of that list next week. Thanks again for your support and interest; I'm answering questions as soon as I can either on this thread or as PM.

"Shivantown" <- that's hilarious
-
DW

Offline Qent

Oooh Ooooh, equally love Revelation.
Especially FS2_Btl_E01. :nod:
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 08:16:56 am by Qent »

Offline Enzo03

And so all posts in all other forums and all other threads ceased for 40 days and 40 nights. :D
Well I was close enough.
21:20:19   SpardaSon21: "hey baby, want to get a good look at my AC/20?
21:20:26   Spoon: I'd hit it like the fist of steiner

Some people are like Slinkies.  They aren't really good or even useful for anything but they always manage to put a little smile on your face when you give them enough of a push down the stairs.

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
you're the best battuta, but the answers have a few holes. for one, he says the GTVA have indeed returned to earth but doesn't elaborate on the state of affairs around sol or the political result of the 2nd great war; for all we know blue planet could be canon after all (have not played inferno). also, in my imagination the "shivan town" would look like a borg mother hive since i'm sure it's a fact that shivans can't stand gravity.

so i guess since the focus of a volition made FS3 would focus on exterminating shivans, i suppose the them would be "counterstrike!"
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 03:04:08 pm by yuezhi »
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Could we not have in that thread the debate that was already well ended in the original thread ?

:v: only had rough sketches about what FS3 could have been. It is most likely the whole story design would have changed a huge lot between that point and the final product. It is also likely that if :v: was to make FS3 today, they'd throw those outdated sketches away and start from scratch. Despite coming from the lead writer of FS2, this interview isn't canon.

End of story please. We were talking about music here. Bloody awesome music if I may add.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
you're the best battuta, but the answers have a few holes. for one, he says the GTVA have indeed returned to earth but doesn't elaborate on the state of affairs around sol or the political result of the 2nd great war; for all we know blue planet could be canon after all

Blue Planet isn't canon, and I'd wager it doesn't look much like canon would've looked because it has a very different narrative style and tone than Volition did.

They apparently started work on a mission pack regarding a return to Sol but it never went much of anywhere. I suspect what's in that interview is most of what they actually came up with.

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
can't wait for next week. m3 imo is the best out of all of them.
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

Offline Firstdragon34

• Bowties = Awesomeness
*Rubs hands together in a very excited way* C'mon Sunday, get here!  :p
A small voice in my head tells me they are have followed us here in the Milky Way. They follow us until we are dead at their feet. We are nomands of the stars, no longer the race that was loved by the Great Elders. My name is Kyral and this is my story of survival.

There is no sanctuary for us, in this Universe. We will fight the Terror for one last time on this Shining World. May the Transcendent judge us kindly in the Life Stream.

Offline mralexs

• I'm White and Nerdy
Freespace 2 Battle F, its my favorite track from FS1 and FS2!

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Mr. Wentz, allow me to be the latest member to welcome you here and congratulate your musical talent.

Like most, I was introduced to FreeSpace 1 at a young age, and the music in particular had a major impact. To my 9-year-old self, FreeSpace seemed like the coolest thing that anybody could have done with a computer. The remixes already posted manage to put me back into that "awestruck" state of mind, and I eagerly await any further releases.

Thank you for making these great memories possible, and we are all honored to have you here.
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I was introduced to FS at a young age as well. In fact my most prominent memory is loving how the m2 battle tracks sounded. Consider the m2 set my request. :D
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
It's great to see you here, Dan. Thanks for sharing these remixes with us. The Freespace games have always had some of my favorite music.

Like others, my favorite is the FS2 menu one. The original version is definitely recognizable in it, but it has its own "aggressive" twist on that and would work nicely in a cutscene. The instruments in a few others like M10 ambient remind me of the mod-based music from Unreal and Deus Ex, and are quite different from the feel of the stock Freespace music. The FS2 credits one seems to have better instrument separation and positioning, even compared to high quality version of that track we have. The D2 menu music is also interesting and reminds me of some other games of that era.

Would it be possible to recompile some of these using the original instruments? The uncompressed music package you sent Nix with several years ago was much appreciated, but we were missing several tracks from it. I understand that they were from backups that could not be fully recovered. The silent threat M10 music was one of the most sought after tracks among the missing ones.