Author Topic: 3D-Printed Mini Ship Models!  (Read 66138 times)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Re: 3D-Printed Mini Ship Models!
Right, I wanted one of these... what would the cost be for that Fenris, painted, and shipped to Israel? ;)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

I NEED the Lucifer. I will die without it!

Offline Husker

Any chance you could try making a GTD Hades model? Maybe 10-12 inches long?

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Unfortunately the painter seems to have dropped out of contact sorry! :( (We've been out of touch for a while, and... I think he got married and also got a job with more pressing time commitments) I'll let people know if he does reappear.

For the moment then I can really only offer unpainted plastic models of ships, which does feel less cool, but I am happy to do that if people want.
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Husker

Shoot, we all want pretty pictures!   ;7 Even unpainted, they're awesome!

Offline Husker

Besides, I want to gauge the cost of owning one of these beauties!

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
How much would a hi-def Durga about 7" run to?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
Let me know if you hear back from your painter or if you find another. I'd be willing to shell out $$$ for a painted SD Ravana between 8-12in. :)
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Almost posted "but he's been posting in this board recently!", only to realize that's "That Man" and your painter is "That Guy".

Dang. :(

That Man, he is an imposter. Seize him.

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
So I was looking to buy crafts from every class except colossus sized ones until I realised that a destroyer to scale of even a 3 cm fighter would be too large for anything.  :(

Still, how much would it cost to have the following:

Cruisers: 2-3 cm x 5
Corvettes: 6-8 cm x 4
Destroyers: 20-21 cm x 2

Offline Samus

OmG I'd love to get the medusa bomber... or the herc 2!

Offline tobalt

OmG I'd love to get the medusa bomber... or the herc 2!

+1 on the Medusa! 

I'd also like the Pegasus or Herc MK1.

Hey guys, hate to bother you, but I could relive some of my childhood dreams if I could get either the Sathanas or the Lucifer printed out. (Preferably the Lucifer, FS1 was my baby).

I have access to a 3D printer and would love a Freespace Christmas. But I NEED stl files to print. Don't know where to get them.

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Orion (MVP and Retail): http://www.mediafire.com/download/90vjua9iljcjodm/3DPrintedOrion_Retail_MVP.zip
Lucifer: http://www.mediafire.com/download/d85h6f09eko76cf/3DPrintedLucifer.zip
Sathanas: http://www.mediafire.com/download/6eaij6d0wbupc6b/3dPrintedSathanas.zip

Be sure to upload pics if they come out nicely. :)

(BTW just so people know, I can't make these any more due to a lack of free time. Sorry!)
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Are there any guiding for conversion from dae?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

I'd hate to necro this thread but I really would like to know how does one acquire the STL files. Are they obtainable and convertable somewhere in the game directory, or do you have to manually model and CAD the thing from scratch? I am interested in making more of these printable ship models myself, and perhaps getting them printed too, and with the advent of 3D printing, it'll be great if we could share our STL files publicly. Would be interested to start making models like the Appollo. After all, thats the very first taste of the pilot seat in Freespace, no?  :)

Those pics are incredible!

I posted a thread about making 3D prints of ships... anyone have any thoughts on converting Freespace's POF files into something a 3D printer can use, like STL or OBJ? I /WILL/ pay money for a Raynor-class destroyer... probably more, if I can get file converters for myself.
Stardust, the Sword of Vengeance[A starship combat addict]