Author Topic: Favourite fighter?  (Read 18428 times)

Offline wardog300k

• I'm a FREDder
After seeing the ,,Not a fan of Perseus" thread,I actually wanted to know which fighter is the most loved and flown.So,write which one is your favourite and why.(Note:Terran Mara isn't counted)

Let me start off.

My favourite fighter is the GTF Ares,ultra-heavy assault.
Very strong hull and shields,large missile capacity and not so bad speed make this ship excellent in everything,from attacking interceptors from 2 clicks with the Maxim,to blowing up Cains with the Tornadoes.Low maneuverability isn't a problem to me,as you can destroy everything before they start making circles around you,if you can aim that is.I became so good with this ship that I can do interceptor stuff too.
Crush the NTF-Conflict Zone
One last war, one last hope, one last survival-Final Destination On Delay
Set free from the GTVA-Liberation Wars On Delay

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
For which difficulty?

As I said in that thread, the Pegasus. It's...maneuverable enough.

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth

I know its weaknesses, but EIGHT GUNPOINTS OF KAYSERY AND PROMETHEUSY (OR MAXIMY) DEATH.

The Ares is also cool, on the rare occasions that campaigns let you fly it. Treb and Tornado spam FTW.
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline Thisisaverylongusername

• This is fine.
Other than the Terran Mara, the Loki.
If the opposite of pro is con, then is the opposite of progress Congress?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Man we really gotta talk about difficulty, a bunch of ships that work on low difficulties are just terrible on the more challenging realistic:7 ones

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
SF Ray MkIV
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Are we talking canon fighters?

GTF Valkyrie, until the advent of those terrible AAA beams.  After that it just has to be the Perseus, simply because its the only FS2 fighter that doesn't have ludicrously crippling flaw. The other exception is the Mara, which I count not as a fighter so much as basically being in god mode for one mission.

Non canon but Freespace versed based fighters:

Blue Planet's Atalanta is fantastic, it's not fat like a Kent and its more maneuverable than the Uhlan

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Man we really gotta talk about difficulty, a bunch of ships that work on low difficulties are just terrible on the more challenging realistic:7 ones

The missions themselves are important too, if you don't have many AI's attacking you the Ares can work quite sweetly even on insane.

Anyway, if I were to rephrase the question to this:  When playing the Freespace2 campaign on insane, which ship do you change to most given the choice?

I'd probably answer: GTF Ares - it's purpose built to lob Trebs at bombers and capships from long range and you generally don't need to engage fighters in the missions where it's available. However I also view it as a deathtrap (on insane) if enemy fighters are out for your blood, target profile is too big and it's not fast enough to run away (hahaha, you should see me and my Myrmidon bravely-bravely-run-away in "... But hate the Traitor")
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I definitely don't enjoy flying anything as much as the Erinyes. Even when testing **** (like when I was working on nebula lightning, and flying As Lightning Fall repeatedly), I feel downright giddy when I get to fly that sleek-looking fighter and fire 8-gun-strong Kayser barrages.

I am aware of the Erinyes's weaknesses; I just don't care.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline wardog300k

• I'm a FREDder
Cannon fighters,both Great War-era and FS2-era.If we're using the difficulty,I'll say medium.
Crush the NTF-Conflict Zone
One last war, one last hope, one last survival-Final Destination On Delay
Set free from the GTVA-Liberation Wars On Delay

Tough call, but I'm gonna name the Serapis, despite it's obvious flaws, for a few reasons:
- it's pretty much the only craft in which I feel confortable facing dragons
  * I like its gun placements better the the Ulysses' and the Toth's
  * It carries more missiles than the Uly
  * Unlike the Uly, I never had to fly it with only TAGs & crap guns over and over
- it can carry the maxim and has a good energy reserve to support it
Runner ups include the Ares 'cause trebs'n'maxim'n'kayser, the Erinyes 'cause screw those Shivan Bombers.

Honorable mentions go to the Shivan Mara for being the only Shivan craft that doesn't suck ass to fly - the Dragon is disqualified due to more awkward gunpoints and small secodary bank, and the Nahema for not carrying enough bombs.

Offline Vrets

The Perseus is probably the best all-around fighter. But my favorite ship to fly is the loathsome Ulysses. Now that I am converted to mouse-and-keyboard-over-joystick paradigm I can finally handle this sick abomination of a fighter.

Shields are of a lesser importance when nothing can hit me!

Offline Gee1337

• Sh!tlord/Human Garbage
I find myself going for the Erinyes. Load the lasers with Kaysers and Maxims to make it a good multi-role brute. The downside of this ship is the power drain with continuos fire of the Kasyers or Maxims.

I'm also prone to a bit of Perseus action, because that speed is very useful. Some might find it surprising that I am not a fan of the Ares. It's more of a tanking fighter and I'm not a fan of tanking... tanking is what cap ships should do!

I'm a bit vain as well, so I believe that the best looking fighter in retail FS2 is the Perseus.

Out of mod fighters, I think my favourite is the Ezechiel because of its power and the way it looks!
I do not feel... I think!

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
The Thoth. Hands down the most fun to fly - handles somehow better than just about anything else in the game.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
Erinyes, as long as the difficulty is low enough that you can actually use the gun banks.  But I'm a pansy and mostly play on easy anyway. 
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
The Thoth. Hands down the most fun to fly - handles somehow better than just about anything else in the game.
Thoth what I think too.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
But those gunpoints....
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Vrets

But those gunpoints....

No kidding.

As I said in the other thread, if you're flying a thin fighter, you can orient yourself so that your ship's hull is perpendicular to the thoth's gunpoints ("+") and it just misses you head-on. It's absurd(ly funny). In this context, the Ulysses is the natural predator of the Thoth.

Yesterday I learned that if you're flying a Loki, you can just completely ignore an Aeshma's guns.