Author Topic: Screen stretched out on Windows 8.1 when playing  (Read 3798 times)

Offline CT27

Re: Screen stretched out on Windows 8.1 when playing
Another piece of information:  the W8.1 machine I'm using is an ASUS.

For some reason, no matter what resolution I select in wxlauncher, the TV changes it when I go into the game.

Offline Yarn

I very highly doubt that your TV is the problem. Rather, the problem is most likely one of these:
  • wxLauncher not saving the resolution setting
  • wxLauncher saving the resolution setting to the wrong location in the registry (this happened in version 0.10 but should be fixed in 0.10.1)
  • FSO not reading the resolution setting despite it being saved to the correct location

To help me determine what the problem is, please follow the advice that I gave you earlier:
CT27, can you verify that wxLauncher is remembering the resolution setting on the Windows 8.1 machine? If it is, and the display is still stretched, can you post another log (from the same machine)?
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline CT27

I've tried setting the wxlauncher video resolution to 1920x1080 and 1366x768

1024x768 is what comes up when I start the game though (a box in the upper right corner of the TV with the first line being "PC", second line "1024x768 @60Hz").  It seems no matter what I pick in wxlauncher it goes to the stretched screen.

Offline Yarn

What happens if you restart wxLauncher? Does the resolution displayed in wxLauncher (not the actual game!) reset to 1024x768? (When I asked you to "verify that wxLauncher is remembering the resolution setting," this is what I wanted you to do. This test is meant to help me determine whether wxLauncher is actually writing the resolution to the Windows registry on your machine.)
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline CT27

The option for 1024x768 is there in the video resolution list, but I've never selected it and I've never seen it when I've started wxlauncher or closed it then brought it back up.

Offline Yarn

It looks like wxLauncher actually keeps its settings, including resolution, in its own location in the user's AppData folder; only when the game is launched does wxLauncher write anything to the registry. So, while wxLauncher is remembering its settings, it could still be failing to write the resolution to the registry.

Try running wxLauncher as an administrator. On Windows 7 at least, this can be done by right-clicking wxLauncher's shortcut and clicking "Run as administrator"; I don't know whether it's done differently on 8.1.

And just so I know, are you running 32-bit or 64-bit Windows?
--strings.tbl, entry 177

--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline CT27

My 7 and 8.1 are 64-bit.

Offline zheega

I get the same problem. Whatever I do I get 1024x768, even with older launchers. Running win10.