Author Topic: Chikkin meets Linux FS2 Open...  (Read 2891 times)

Offline AtomicClucker

• Runnin' from Trebs
Chikkin meets Linux FS2 Open...
And creates a damn mess. So, I've been looking over the threads so I can install it under Linux, and now mah brain hurts.

Plus the stuff over wxLauncher, so how should I take this as a newbie going from Windows to Leenux?

System? Intel i7 4790k, 8 GB of Ram, GTX 970 Linux Mint 17.03

I don't think it's the system as much as it's me being a dimwit.
Blame Blue Planet for my Freespace2 addiction.

Re: Chikkin meets Linux FS2 Open...
The FSO installer should work out of the box on Linux, though you'll need to provide it with a retail FSO installation (the easiest ways to do this are to copy one off a Windows partition, or run the GOG installer on Wine). That'll give you a working install that you can run by double clicking the 'fs2_open_<version>' binary in a file editor, or from the terminal.

As for wxlauncher, check your package manager: you should be able to find and install it there. The package name is 'freespace2-launcher-wxlauncher'.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline m!m

The FSO installer is capable of extracting the GOG installer on linux so you don't even need to extract the package on Windows.
If you are using a Debian based distribution (e.g. Ubuntu) then you should be able to find the wxLauncher package (with the name Phantom Hoover mentioned) in your package manager. If you are using another distribution then you may need to compile the launcher yourself but that's relatively easy. I can help you with that if your distribution does not have a wxLauncher package.

EDIT: Also, make sure that you have installed the proprietary GPU drivers from Nvidia. The more advanced graphics features of FSO currently don't work with the open-source drivers.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
If you are using a Debian based distribution (e.g. Ubuntu) then you should be able to find the wxLauncher package (with the name Phantom Hoover mentioned) in your package manager.
Linux Mint 17.03

Mint is itself based on Ubuntu, which as m!m said is based on Debian, so you should be golden.  :yes:

I checked the Mint package archives before I posted, it's definitely there.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline AtomicClucker

• Runnin' from Trebs
Yeah, I was trying to build the wxLauncher from source, sorta realized that trying to get it to work means I also need to chmod x the appropriate build scripts XD

I'll try the built in stuff and see if that works.

Edit: Later I'm going to try and find a video tut so I can watch the steps. Right now trying to figure out why my system has openAL installed, but doesn't seem to think it does. Sigh. CLI fu, go!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 05:59:22 pm by AtomicClucker »

What do you mean 'doesn't seem to think it does'? Are you getting errors from software that requires OpenAL?

Offline AtomicClucker

• Runnin' from Trebs
So an update, turns out I needed libopenal1-dev tagged, currently using wxLauncher version 9.4

And now apparently it can't generate a flag file nor write a data directory. Awesome sauce XD. Gonna try a different build to see if it works.

To explain simply, I ran the FSO installer, used my GoG.Exe and did a basic install with no mods, and used the native 9.4 ubuntu repo wxLauncher for clarification. OpenAL is installed, but I suspect necessary packages weren't selected. And using nVidia blob instead of the terrible open source drivers - neauvou sucks for anything other than desktop use.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 10:30:14 pm by AtomicClucker »

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
And now apparently it can't generate a flag file nor write a data directory.

Try running the FSO executable from a terminal.  That should give some indication as to why it's not running.

Also - it may help to install all these packages; sure this list is for compiling your own binaries but it'll ensure that FSO itself will run.
http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Fs2_open_on_Linux/Installing_the_Development_Libraries
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline AtomicClucker

• Runnin' from Trebs
All the libraries are set, but it refuses to run the executable, and chmod doesn't recognize it. Sigh. It's not the CLI, I've got the problem - probably don't remember how to use chmod properly in this context.

Offline m!m

The executables from the installer are for 32 bit Ubuntu but you probably have a 64 bit install so a few libraries are probably missing. If that's the case the best solution is to simply compile your own executable. Take a look at this guide which will guide you through the compilation process.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
chmod 755 /FULL/PATH/TO/FSO_BINARY

Also; if you don't fancy compiling, see the link in my sig for how to install 32bit libs on 64bit Ubuntu
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

OK well the installer should definitely be providing 64-bit Linux binaries by default, it's not 2008 any more.

(Incidentally, Clucker, you should be able to set files as executable just by right-clicking on them, selecting 'Properties' and going to the permissions tab.)

Offline AtomicClucker

• Runnin' from Trebs
Well, good and bad news.

So I tried compiling on a 32-bit version of Linux Mint, and another in a virtual machine. Actually, the 32-bit OSes worked fine. Call me shocked, but the guides worked.

So really, it's missing necessary 32-bit libraries, kinda disappointed because x64 is pretty common now.

Gonna say, think sooner or later, the shove to 64-bit will need to happen XP

If you can compile a 32-bit binary on 32-bit Mint then you can compile a 64-bit binary on 64-bit Mint! Do that! Don't use a 32-bit OS!

Why are you trying all these things, please can you just slow right down and let us help you work the problem out.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 04:25:37 pm by Phantom Hoover »

Offline AtomicClucker

• Runnin' from Trebs
Tested it on a 32-bit system to be correct - and not to be surprised... it worked on those, but refused to play ball on mine.

I'm just wondering what libraries I'm missing that makes it tick. And for the record, I followed the initial build steps in the guides provided... I'm still puzzled to why my 64-bit is just being a billygoat and refuses to run the executables even after marking them as executables via GUI.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 04:43:29 pm by AtomicClucker »

If you compile FSO on a 64-bit system you will get a 64-bit binary linked against your system's 64-bit libraries. If you are able to, please do so so; even if it doesn't fix everything it'll eliminate multilib as a potential source of errors and get you a step closer to a working install.

Please can you also start providing us with explicit descriptions of exactly what you're trying and exactly what errors you're getting. This vague talk about "refusing to play ball" is useless compared to just knowing what happens when you run FSO on the command line.

Offline m!m

So really, it's missing necessary 32-bit libraries, kinda disappointed because x64 is pretty common now.

Gonna say, think sooner or later, the shove to 64-bit will need to happen XP
Just to clear up some things, the pre-built binaries are for 32-bit because that's what gets built as part of the release but FSO has no issues being compiled for 64-bits on Linux. There was some discussion about providing 64-bit builds instead of 32-bit so that may happen in some future release. My general recommendation is to just build the binaries from source. That will give you the best performance because the compiler will optimize the build for your CPU instead of optimizing it for a generic CPU profile.
The other option would be to use a package from your package manager if one exists but the launcher is currently not really able to use such binaries because it assumes that the binaries are located in the game root which would not be the case if FSO was installed system-wide.