Author Topic: So Why No Single Mission Repository?  (Read 3051 times)

Offline AV8R

So Why No Single Mission Repository?
Other than the data/bandwidth to support it?

Surely there could be another site that can easily/cheaply host single mission files for those who just like to play a bunch of different single missions just for fun (FS1 had a bunch of single missions/short campaigns in it's tech room, while FS2 had none).

Why does everything have to be a campaign? Sometimes fun, one-use, shoot-em-ups are a nice departure/escape from the doldrums of life when you don't want to get your head into the intricacies of a campaign. Just load the mission, load up your ship, shoot things and jump out at the end. Mission accomplished.

Too little? Not challenging enough? There are skill level presets for those who play everything on INSANE (but why?)   :P

Again, just wondering why noobs/veterans/experts don't have a place to upload single missions they want others to test/try/have fun with. Thoughts?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: So Why No Single Mission Repository?
The problem is that single missions seems to be weirdly unpopular here on HLP. I guess one part of it is that it takes as much effort to install a single mission as a campaign. So why not do the latter?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Makes me wonder if after the 1.0 release of Knossos, we could consider some kind of way (new feature) to use that to distribute single missions...
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
just wondering why noobs/veterans/experts don't have a place to upload single missions they want others to test/try/have fun with.
...Do they not? What's stopping people from uploading single missions to fsfiles?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Damage

• I'm a Major.
Follow up question; what would be the limits for just posting a sticky thread for single missions?  In terms of file size, they wouldn't generally be as large as most of the images posted here.  (Just as an example, some of the largest mission files I have handy top out at just under 600kb--and those are exceptions, rather than the rule; by comparison most image files generally *start* about that size.)
I didn't feel like putting anything here.  Then I did it anyway just to be contrary.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
That's assuming the single missions only use base FS2 assets. Some like to add a new ship, script, or other thing that makes installing a little more wonky.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Problem is that the forum upload system periodically wipes itself. So if you uploaded missions rather than hosting them somewhere you'd risk them getting "deleted by a ninja" or whatever.

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
The problem is that single missions seems to be weirdly unpopular here on HLP. I guess one part of it is that it takes as much effort to install a single mission as a campaign. So why not do the latter?

For newer players especially, but also for me occasionally, there is also the effort of finding the single missions to play within the game.  E.g. "Which mod or campaign has to be selected?"  "How do i get to the tech room?"
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline AV8R

For a total computer noob, maybe. But most (Windows) users would know to place the mission file under \FREESPACE\MOD\DATA\MISSIONS and it magically shows up in the tech room under single missions. Perhaps a short How-To blurb can be stated at the top of the repository download page, as a suggestion.

...Do they not? What's stopping people from uploading single missions to fsfiles?

Sorry, I had no idea that existed.   :nervous:

Offline NickM

A brilliant idea! If people could just post the missions along with the campaign (fan made or otherwise) it came from, why I wouldn't even have to try to install the actual campaign.

Humm....an idea...say someone starts designing a mission, completes it and post it here. Another person makes another mission based upon the first one. Then another person makes on based on theirs. I know it would be kinda wacky, but I also think it would be fun and quite different as well thinking outside the box here :)
Got Shivans? The SOC Ezechiel is the schnitzel! Don't leave base without it.

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
And what about specific mod requirements? Let's say someone made a mission that requires Blue Planet and Diaspora for example.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
What about it?

Just ignore Bryan See, karajorma. He's someone of whom everyone wants to ask the question Dorothy asked the scarecrow in the MGM Wizard of Oz movie; to wit, "What would you do with a brain if you had one?" He was asked three standard Turing questions in another thread, as well as one of the most well known Voight-Kampf questions from Blade Runner, and he answered none of them. So we're not entirely sure he's a sentient being.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline AV8R

A brilliant idea! If people could just post the missions along with the campaign (fan made or otherwise) it came from, why I wouldn't even have to try to install the actual campaign.

I would think a majority would probably be FS1/FS2 single missions but yes, there are many campaigns that have been developed that some would probably create single missions for. Well, they know who they are - and as long as the single missions are categorized under what ever campaign they were developed for, there should be little issue. Maybe even put a file name requisite for uploads (FS1 campaign files begin with "FS1_" or FS2 with "FS2_" Diaspora with "DIA_" Blue Planet with "BP_" etc). This would help with categorizing uploads (and rejecting uploads that don't fit the file naming conventions).  :rolleyes: