Author Topic: DX merge - Complete!  (Read 12050 times)

DX merge - Complete!
You read right - I've got the DX8 branch merged into the main branch properly and stably. There might be a few bugs (I haven't tested extensively yet) but as far as I can tell its all going along smoothly.

I haven't committed it to the CVS yet because my freakin ADSL is acting up so I'll do it tomorrow afternoon (my time - probably morning for you americans).

The OpenGL people when its uploaded might want to check that still works as there were a few compile errors from that direction which were fixed a little haphazardly in my opinion. Should vram_full be set anywhere? I see a lot of checks against it but nowhere where it's determined so right now I'm just initializing it to 0. When I commit the code you might want to look into that.

So yeah - any comments, questions - post here!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2003, 07:32:22 am by 383 »

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
one question: Compile. When?
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

As per Inquisitors request the DX/main branch merge has been commited to the DX branch, so hopefully after some testing we'll catch any bugs that are in there.

Right now the whole thing compiles and runs perfectly.

Offline RandomTiger

Nice one

Ok - I thought I had this thing down pat, but CVS isn't being friendly to me so I could use some advice - I have all the files checked out as the main branch merged with the DirectX 8 branch. How do I tell CVS (I'm just using wincvs 1.3) to upload all of that into the DX8 branch and overwrite what was already there.

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
One more question. Does the DX merge mean that the movies play now in full screen. I did in the DX build, so I hope it does in the merged one.
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

Offline Inquisitor

Stuneap, no it does not yet.

UP, catch me on ICQ, I need to know where you are in the CVS process,  that way I can help figure out why it won;t commit :)
No signature.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by ##UnknownPlayer##
wincvs 1.3

1.3 has given me no end of trouble. :doubt: Go back to 1.2, it's the most recent stable version and it works fine.  I mirrored it on the warpcore site at the link below.

http://fs2source.warpcore.org/WinCvs120.zip

Ok I'll try doing that. It just looks like it won't clear the conflict markers from the file even though I manually cleared the all my self. Damn this sucks - I'm all roaring to dive into some other aspect of fs2_open development right now (my long leave has seen me return with heaps more DX ability, hence I'd like to get to work on HW T&L or some experimentation with it ASAP).

EDIT: Ok that didn't solve my problem...
« Last Edit: March 18, 2003, 12:58:32 am by 383 »

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
me too!!
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Ok, I'm possibly a horrible monster and millions will pray for my death, but I've uploaded the merge straight to the main CVS branch since no matter what I did I couldn't upload it to the DX one. I'm downloading the new merge right now to check it still compiles and runs, but no doubt there'll be plenty of bugs to sort out. Hopefully we'll get that done quickly though and everyone will benefit out of it. For those of you with frame rate concerns, I'm going to be actively working to optimize rendering as much as I can for you.

If you have any problems/requests/questions please post them here.

Sorry for the double post, but this is just an update on 'Don't commit anything temporarily' (which needs to be deleted now).

I've fixed up the obvious bugs from my sudden massive merge (to which I apologize to Inquisitor for my rash actions - it won't happen again). The exe file can be compiled and installed perfectly now, but I don't guarantee that some functions added by you guys survived through the merge (but that's why we've gotta test it! test it! test it!).

EDIT: Goober5000 - go have a look at the latest SEXP you added (the trigger explosion one) - the bug which was making the game crash after the merge wasn't even a bug introduced by me - you messed up the SEXP operator queries and such. I've commented out the offending lines and everythings peachy, though you may want to do a cvs diff on the current sexp.cpp and your current local one.

Now, to compile this!
Make sure you have the DirectX 8.1 SDK installed on your system - you can get it from the Microsoft website here -

Next up (these are the instructions as appropriate for MSVC6):

- Go into MSVC and goto Tools-->Options
- Go to the 'Directories' tab
- From the drop down box goto 'Include Files'
- Add a new entry in the list box that points to the directory where you installed the DX8 sdk's subdirectory 'include' - for example my entry says "C:\DXSDK\Include"

Build and run DX8.1 Freespace 2! I'll endeavour to start the process of speeding it up ASAP.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2003, 07:55:20 am by 383 »

Offline Inquisitor

Excellent excellent news.

Question: RT mentioned that the DX8 build was actually incompatible with his
Dshow movie code? Something about switching video fullscreen?

Any thoughts?
No signature.

Offline RandomTiger

DX8 cant switch properly yet. Dshow needs that.

Not that difficult. You just need to stop it calling DX8 functions while its minimized thats whats causing crashes.

Offline redmenace

hey can the beta testers get a un-official release to start testing for bugs. Also video code, does that allow SCP exes to play the in game videos like the opening video to the game?
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline Inquisitor

Yes, we'll get a test release.

No it does not play MVE's.

RT: Ahh, cool, sounds like a direction we can explore quickly.
No signature.

Offline redmenace

eh thats too bad...do we have any future plans the imlement the mve code? Or is the mve format licensed by interfart, sorry interplay. or is is licensed by volition.
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline Inquisitor

No plans whatsoever.

Licensing difficulties. Long story, search da forums if you want the scoop :)
No signature.

Anyone whose up to building the current EXE off the CVS is welcome to beta test, but as Inquisitor said otherwise there'll be a beta release for the rest of you.

Next on my agenda will be fixing RT's movie play code for DX8 (simply so the merge won't have removed a feature).

EDIT: Just a quick question if RT's reading this - why aren't you using the internal FS2 file routines to check for the existence of the movie file?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2003, 02:39:00 pm by 383 »

Offline RandomTiger

I wrote that code ages ago so its difficult to remember. Does it cause  problem?