Author Topic: Voice Recognition, is the wiki up to date?  (Read 1580 times)

Offline Kiloku

• Buzzbuzz!
    • Minecraft
Voice Recognition, is the wiki up to date?
I went poking around for how to use the -voicer flag, and stumbled upon the wiki:
http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Voice_Recognition

It talks about relics past such as Windows XP and 2000, and since I also happened to find this thread where essential improvements are described, I'm wondering if these changes are in the latest nightlies, and if following the wiki's instructions will be enough.
Potato!

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Re: Voice Recognition, is the wiki up to date?
I think the training your speech recognition can still be helpful, although I've had good luck with it out of the box.  And we improved the integration to the point that it doesn't need to display the voice recognition menu while the game runs, so you don't have to worry about that being popped up in the background anymore.  Other than that, I don't know if the recognized command list is up to date anymore or not.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
For an up-to-date list of supported commands, you can try reading phrases.xml directly from the source repo. I haven't updated the wiki because, firstly, I did not realize that article existed :nervous: and secondly, I want a better way to handle it than an all-encompassing phrases.xml. For example, giving Blue Planet the ability to provide a modular table of some sort that told FSO to insert "Falcata" into the list of known wing names, so you don't need to provide an entire replacement phrases.xml for tiny additions to FSO's recognition capabilities.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I've always wondered how this worked. Does it always assume that Alpha is the player's wing and just goes Beta, Delta, Gamma in that order?
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
I've always wondered how this worked. Does it always assume that Alpha is the player's wing and just goes Beta, Delta, Gamma in that order?
...No? The voice recognition code has never assumed the player wing is Alpha. It has a list of wing names that it understands as wing names, and as long as every wing you want to give orders to is on that list, it will understand your attempts to give them orders.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME

<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
(...)
<MageKing17> so

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Oh wow, I copied that stuff over to the wiki half an eon ago.  I can't speak for how well it works now, but it was a blast the few times I played with it in the past.  So nice to not have to deal with C->3->Whatever!

Offline Kiloku

• Buzzbuzz!
    • Minecraft
Most (all?) commands still work, but my accent might be too strong, it doesn't understand what I'm trying to say about 80% of the time. Windows is dumb and doesn't allow me to train the voice recognition system because "voice recognition is not available for my language". Except that I want to train it for English.
Potato!

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
Most (all?) commands still work, but my accent might be too strong, it doesn't understand what I'm trying to say about 80% of the time. Windows is dumb and doesn't allow me to train the voice recognition system because "voice recognition is not available for my language". Except that I want to train it for English.
Can you set your system language to English and see if it lets you train it?

You can also try providing a variant phrases.xml (copy phrases.xml from latest master and pop it into your data directory, then modify it) with phonetic spellings that more closely match your personal speaking style and see if FSO has an easier time understanding you; that's kind of a last-ditch brute-force solution, though (and trying to figure out how Windows expects you to pronounce something would involve a lot of guesswork anyway).

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Offline Kiloku

• Buzzbuzz!
    • Minecraft
No, only Windows 10 Pro and above allow switching languages. All "Windows 7 Home Basic" and "Home Premium" were upgraded to "Windows 8 Single Language" and then "Windows 10 Single Language". No idea why they'd do that, though.

I might try editing phrases.xml though.
Potato!